Dish closing more Blockbuster stores

Re: Dish Network to close 300 Blockbuster stores

Flopped !!!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I just got back from my daily run to local BB and mentioned the article to the store manager. Response was, no mention of all store closings by end of the year from regional manager but they just renewed their lease end of December for another year. She said they are still profitable but wasn't commenting on the other 2 stores in the region.

With their $30 Movie Pass 2 out at a time games or movies, I do really well with this. But they do get less copies these days and unless you are there when they put new releases on the shelves you may wait for a week or two to get one in Blu Ray. With about 10-12 new releases out each week, I can usually get a dozen movies I haven't seen yet. Some aren't that interesting, however. Still, its the best deal I have on movies and I'd hate to see that go away.

What would you expect Dish to do? Keep it open only to lose money. Video store rentals are a dying model how many hundreds of stores local and national have gone. How is Dish the worst company for having tried to keep it going? Maybe they should have not bought it so these people would have lost their jobs sooner!

The trouble is, BBV doesn't have to lose money. There is a regional chain, Family Video, that has several stores in my area and they have been growing in the last few years. Of course, they haven't spent money remodeling their stores several times in the last few years and don't have 1/3rd of the store devoted to selling used merchandise. I wouldn't doubt that their stores have double the inventory a typical BBV store has. And whenever I visit a Family Video, the store is busy. Even on a Friday or Saturday night, my local BBV's are semi-empty. And they're ghost towns any other time. Rental choices attract customers, not used dvd deals. I bet after this round of closings Family Video will have more stores than BBV.

While I agree that the b&m model isn't strong and will eventually disappear, deciding what direction a chain wants to go and then doing it helps out. Dish has changed what they want to do with BBV several times since they purchased it. Tough to make money when you don't even know what your purpose is.

But to honest, IMO, Dish bought Blockbuster for the name. They've been looking for a a way to get rid of the retail aspect of it from the start. Did Dish really want the b&m stores to become successful? The inventory at the stores has been regularly reduced since the purchase. The innovation used to create Autohop and PTAT could have made the chain a profitable entity.

Still, I think Dish could have done something better with many of those physical stores rather than just closing them...retail outlets, exchange centers for equipment, service centers, etc.

You cannot blame a company in a capitalistic economy for getting rid of jobs that are not making money.

All bricks & mortar video stores are going away...sooner or later...like Borders, Tower Records, etc., video distribution is soon to be all on-line. If you are working in any sort of video rental store, be thankful each day that your job exists; and spend any free time looking for a different line of work.

Last edited:
Still, I think Dish could have done something better with many of those physical stores rather than just closing them...retail outlets, exchange centers for equipment, service centers, etc.
Overhead black holes and too many of them. Had to go.

Believe me, Dish did NOT buy BB to keep those people employed. It was just one of their many business missteps that Charlie has made. Other video companies are growing their businesses every year, but not Dish. Now they are diddling around with the cell phone busines, but the oppurtunity will be passed by the time they get into it. They diddle too much.

I think it is important to remember that the FCC denied Dish the use of their spectrum for voice or data. Thus denying any ideas about streaming video. Dish has stated to its
stockholders that without that there really is no reason to have Blockbuster in their stable. It was their idea all along to close all brick and mortar stores and go to streaming only.

I have two in my area, one about a five minute car drive, the other about a 25 minute drive. Hopefully they stay open, the one real close to my house has added a Dish display with about three other flat screens throughout the store and I think gets good traffic still. I think some folks still enjoy walking in to the video store and looking and the grabbing the movie. We shall see

The only two Blockbuster stores that are around here are in the "bad" sections of town. Somehow I have a feeling that both are part of those 300 to be shut down.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Dish bought blockbuster because they had a streaming architecture and contracts for content, not for the brick and mortar stores.

Yep. IIRC they came out ahead on non-B&M, so the stores had to pay their way or close. Either way, Charlie came out ahead.

He ain't stupid, folks. And he knows a heck of a lot more than us.

Blockbuster had so much potential when dish bought the company, and they just pissed it away.

The first thing they should have done is copied Netflix and built a good streaming platform and then focused on the DVD by mail business.

We have several family video stores and they do very well in my area. With the millions and billions of dollars behind dish you would think they could do something good.

The sad part is that blockbuster was a good brand, and dish has only made the brand look bad to the point now that it has no value.