Dish closing more Blockbuster stores

Intresting, this may have played a role in all the past blockbuster closings. But the expired leases are intresting, our local BB does good business I think, I have no idea about there lease though. The plaza they are in would be real empty as the grocery store store is no longer there and the blockbuster is the other part of the anchor

Businesses not doing well will close stores with expiring leases, oddly unless you get the whole story, even if that store itself is doing well. Friendly's restaurant recently did something like that.

I said it last year, that DISH will close down the remaining Blockbuster stores by this year's end. The future of video is streaming ,not physical dvds or blu-rays. DISH made a mistake not expanding the company to more outlets for streaming. Instead I see more and more of the streaming apps being shut down . On my tv , my blu ray player all used to have working blockbuster apps and now they are no longer supported. At this rate, Blockbuster will be a closed to the public and only DISH customers will have access to the movies through their in house service or over their streaming vod section of the receiver itself.

I see quite a few people still using redbox, so the rental market is still there. BB's problem is that a storefront is huge overhead compared to a vending machine. Online streaming is the future, but currently there are a lot of licensing issues causing a lot of movies not being available.

cool80z

Thanks for the heads up. I will print that link out and give it to my local store manager today. I like BB stores, never liked the mail (no service) Netflix has always been much better for me. I will miss the stores when they close, but I do admit, since Dish took it over, the store offerings have gotten much much worse. If I lose it today, I wouldn't miss it as much. Same goes for Dish Network sat service too. Since this guy Joe Clayton took over I have been less and less happy with Dish overall. I guess the only good thing I saw was the DIRT team here. They do a good job and improved things for Dish at least here for Satelliteguys members.

blockbuster still exists as stores? I thought when Dish bought them they closed all the BB stores

Our Blockbuster store in Rohnert Park has survived, to this point. There are a total of 4 stores in a 25 mile radius, that serve a population of over 600,000.

blockbuster still exists as stores? I thought when Dish bought them they closed all the BB stores

You need a pic of yourself with a happy face so we know when you are kidding. You cant be that naive.

We still have a couple here too and I saw several in Las Vegas, NV.

The closing store signs went up at the bb about 15 mins from my house a few weeks ago.

I was watching the local news this morning and they reported that Dish Network is closing 300 more Blockbuster stores, leaving 3000 people without jobs.

Here is a link to the story:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414550,00.asp

I really don't know how they'll be able to keep this chain open with so few stores. Their not a regional chain, but a national one. 500 stores is only 10 per state! :eek: I'd imagine that any rural stores still open will now be gone. I have three within a four mile radius of my home. I bet at least one of them closes.

Will have to check and see if the store a few minutes away is one of the stores scheduled to close :(

Now, I know why Dish Network was named the Worst company to work for in the US. If the unemployment lines aren't long enough, DN is adding to it.

Now, I know why Dish Network was named the Worst company to work for in the US. If the unemployment lines aren't long enough, DN is adding to it.

What would you expect Dish to do? Keep it open only to lose money. Video store rentals are a dying model how many hundreds of stores local and national have gone. How is Dish the worst company for having tried to keep it going? Maybe they should have not bought it so these people would have lost their jobs sooner!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)