DISH COVERAGE OF OLYMPICS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Here's my gripe: All of the NBC local prime-time prerecorded heavily edited events which don't run over the allotted time, have a 60 minute pad if you record them.

I recorded the opening ceremonies, and it produced a 5 1/2 hr recording including the local news and Jay Leno. Is this the normal padding that happens when you record a sporting event that could be live and could run over?

If the programming guide has it flagged as a live sporting event, then the default Dish receiver timer settings are to record the extra hour. Seems that Tribune is the one marking the NBC Olympic coverage as a "live" sporting event, when in reality it is not.

If the programming guide has it flagged as a live sporting event, then the default Dish receiver timer settings are to record the extra hour. Seems that Tribune is the one marking the NBC Olympic coverage as a "live" sporting event, when in reality it is not.

While the Opening Ceremonies are not truly a sporting event, like a game, they represent sports athletes from around the world. They also, historically, tend to go overtime. They didn't this year so that's a moot point. I think the 1 hour extra was a smart move.

I'm not talking just about the opening ceremonies, but the prime time NBC coverage of the events. Since it is all tape-delayed, there is no chance for any of the coverage to "run over", thus no need for the "live" flag in the program guide.

I'm not talking just about the opening ceremonies, but the prime time NBC coverage of the events. Since it is all tape-delayed, there is no chance for any of the coverage to "run over", thus no need for the "live" flag in the program guide.

I don't think it matters if it is live or not. If it's designated "SPORTS" it automatically tags that 60 minutes on to your recording unless you turn it off.

I don't think it matters if it is live or not. If it's designated "SPORTS" it automatically tags that 60 minutes on to your recording unless you turn it off.
It doesn't always tag the extra 60 minutes on sports. Like I said, there has to be some kind of "live" flag on the listing for the 60 minute buffer to be automatically defaulted. The easiest way to see it is RSN airings of MLB or NHL games...the live game in the early evening will have the 60 minute pad, but the re-airing of the same game at midnight will not. ESPN airings of old games won't either.

It doesn't always tag the extra 60 minutes on sports. Like I said, there has to be some kind of "live" flag on the listing for the 60 minute buffer to be automatically defaulted. The easiest way to see it is RSN airings of MLB or NHL games...the live game in the early evening will have the 60 minute pad, but the re-airing of the same game at midnight will not. ESPN airings of old games won't either.

Nope.

Plenty of re-airings of soccer matches on Fox Soccer have that extra 60 minutes added on. As do the repeats of the Olympics late at night, currently.

However they determine it, it is best to check your timer when setting it.

Nope.

Plenty of re-airings of soccer matches on Fox Soccer have that extra 60 minutes added on. As do the repeats of the Olympics late at night, currently.

I never said the live flag was always accurate, which is kinda the point regarding the NBC coverage of the Olympics. Always good advice to check the timer when setting it.

Bad coverage of NBC anyway...

And right now a waste of channels.

They have the dedicated Soccer and Basketball channels, as well as using Bravo for tennis.

Right now they have tennis on local NBC and the soccer and basketball matches who are already being shown on the dedicated channels are also showing on NBCSports and MSNBC

Nope.

Or is it because NBC's prime time coverage goes until midnight ET??

Bobby said:
While the Opening Ceremonies are not truly a sporting event, like a game, they represent sports athletes from around the world. They also, historically, tend to go overtime. They didn't this year so that's a moot point. I think the 1 hour extra was a smart move.

The opening ceremonies were not shown "live". If the live production had run over all NBC needed to do was edit it down, show fewer countries in the entrance of the athletes...etc

I may be wrong, but this is just another example of Tribune Media's incompetence. They are the ones supplying the epg info. And the inconsistencies are due to their misflagging the info

Does anyone else have the guide information swapped for the dedicated soccer and basketball channels? The basketball channel guide says soccer, and the soccer channel guide says basketball.

Weird.

Does anyone else have the guide information swapped for the dedicated soccer and basketball channels? The basketball channel guide says soccer, and the soccer channel guide says basketball. Weird.

Yes, and it blew out all of the timers I had set up for it. Also, Sunday and Monday's timers for NBC Sports channel were gone, but timers for later in the week were there.

I for one have been pretty satisfied with the Olympic coverage. I happen to be on a "stay-cation" at the moment so I have the day time coverage on all day. It is really great to see actual live events. While not perfect the Internet coverage isn't bad either. I would give NBC a B to B+, just my opinion..
We haven't felt the need to record anything so I can't comment on the issues some have had. I haven't recorded a live sports event in a couple of years so .....
My only complaint would be that Dish could have provided all of the NBC Universal channels to everyone for the duration of the olympics but lets face it most of us can one watch one channel at a time and even DVRd sporting events have a short shelf life so overall I am very happy.

Ross

Was checking this thread to see if Dish carried the Olympic 3D channel. It apears that Dish did not as I expected. I changed from Dish to ATT UVerse about 3 months ago and have really enjoyed the Olympic 3D channel. It appears that the only 3D on Dish in the foreseable future are $6.95 PPV movies. I have access to a number of free On Demand 3D movies on UVerse from Starz as a Starz subscriber.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts