Dish Credits gone

I also have seen stories that many premium (HBO/Showtime, etc.) customers are cutting service to save on the bill. Anyone heard this.

I dropped from AEP to AT200 and dumped showtime, keeping HBO. With the credits expiring I'm considering further drops in service. The sad thing is, Cable remains to be un-competitive in my region, such that even at it's current state, Dish is the best deal.

Think how disappointed he'll be when Dish's world does not collapse. The increases hit the folks with multiple receivers, a small portion of their customer base, IMHO. I wonder what percent of customers have more than two HD DVRs?

Yes, I expect it will "propagate."

OP: Yep, the credits were to ease the pain, not end it.

Yep. Check out my DVR's.... I signed a new commitment with the 922. I'm stuck for a long time. My next bill is over $180.00.

Better you than me. I'm hoping to drop HBO/SHO soon and maybe drop below $100 again.

comcast customizes services to be more competive in certain areas.

wonder why E hasnt done this too.........

Because each area they serve is different while DISH is a national provider.

I don't know why your worrying about it though, your not a DISH customer.

He's just trying to make himself feel better about his decision to go to Comcast.

Only thing I have dropped so far is HD Platinum and playboy. So I now have the AEP + 3 Superstations at 2 dollars a piece (which I hope will be in HD soon) Thought of dropping to the 250 + 2 premiums, but the difference isn't that great and would lose channels I watch. Basically will not add more than the 3 receivers I currently have unless those fees drop.

I dropped HD Platinum. Can't drop down to AT200 because of FSC and Tennis Channel. So my bill looks like this.

64.99 AT250
0.00 HD 250 FREE
6.00 DVR Service
17.00 2nd HD Duo DVR
And starting in September 7.00 Multi Sports for RedZone.

Plus tax....

This $17 per receiver ends up hurting the programmers.

I was secretly hoping Directv would start running comparative ads to promote that their additional HD DVR's are only $5 and that Dish Network is the HIGH PRICE LEADER.

This $17 per receiver ends up hurting the programmers.

I was secretly hoping Directv would start running comparative ads to promote that their additional HD DVR's are only $5 and that Dish Network is the HIGH PRICE LEADER.

Direct flyer in last sundays pittsburgh post gazette included that cost comparison

Because each area they serve is different while DISH is a national provider.

I don't know why your worrying about it though, your not a DISH customer.

Comcast is a very large nationwide provider. They arent everywhere but they are one of the largest pay tv providers.

my point which isnt clear.............

satellite providers could if they cared to customize pricing to regions that are more competive....

comcast does that here the work order said competive area..

I am no longer a E sub but am still waiting for my refund, and have a general interest in satellite tv, probably for the rest of my life.......

So I will probably be here forever........

Satellite / cable providers are looking for their own way to increase their profits in addition to the stations being carried wanting their increase in profits.

Only thing I have dropped so far is HD Platinum and playboy. So I now have the AEP + 3 Superstations at 2 dollars a piece (which I hope will be in HD soon) Thought of dropping to the 250 + 2 premiums, but the difference isn't that great and would lose channels I watch. Basically will not add more than the 3 receivers I currently have unless those fees drop.

On the Super Stations you can get all 5 for $1. more?.;)

Comcast is a very large nationwide provider. satellite providers could if they cared to customize pricing to regions that are more competive....

comcast does that here the work order said competive area..

This has got to be one of the dumbest ideas I have read from you Bob. I can't imagine a better way to piss off your NATIONAL customer base than to offer different prices depending upon what region of the country you are located in.

Another thing, would you quit blabbing about how great Comcast is? We have Comcast and Knology cable systems in Huntsville, AL and they BOTH stink when it comes to HD channel selection. They have HALF of the channels that DISH Network and DirecTV offer in HD. If you don't believe me, check out my attached Excel spreadsheet that compares all four provider choices in my area. This is typical of cable systems where they must allocate a large portion of their bandwidth to ANALOG channels.

After a detailed comparison of pricing and available channel selection, I ended up choosing DISH Network (over DirecTV). The two local cable networks weren't even in the running, do to the limited number of HD channels they offered.

Attachments

• Satellite-Cable HD Channel Comparison (08-19-2010).xls
    68.5 KB · Views: 161
Well I was pleasantly shocked at how much cable has improved over the last 13 years, the improvement was as large or larger than going from TCI 13 years ago to E.

Comcast appears to be customizing prices depending on the area, and no contracts in competive areas unless the new customer wants teaser rates. In addition comcast has dropped nearly all analog stations, for more HD since were a competive area:) Cable had a nice competive advantage with analog channels, viewable on all tvs in home. the conversion to digital has hurt this, so they have a adapter, the first one is free with a digital box. the adapter costs 2 or 3 bucks a month extra after the first one. it gives secondary tvs a scrolling guide and access to 40 channels, but not premiums. I have been too busy to bother.... will do that in fall, might as well enjoy the nice weather while i can:)

I think the biggest competive challenge to satellite isnt cable its the coming intergration of tv and internet........ they are slowly moving together

Last edited:
Well I was pleasantly shocked at how much cable has improved over the last 13 years, the improvement was as large or larger than going from TCI 13 years ago to E.

Comcast appears to be customizing prices depending on the area, and no contracts in competive areas unless the new customer wants teaser rates. In addition comcast has dropped nearly all analog stations, for more HD since were a competive area:) Cable had a nice competive advantage with analog channels, viewable on all tvs in home. the conversion to digital has hurt this, so they have a adapter, the first one is free with a digital box. the adapter costs 2 or 3 bucks a month extra after the first one. it gives secondary tvs a scrolling guide and access to 40 channels, but not premiums. I have been too busy to bother.... will do that in fall, might as well enjoy the nice weather while i can:)

I think the biggest competive challenge to satellite isnt cable its the coming intergration of tv and internet........ they are slowly moving together

Comcast does not really need to be mentioned in a Dish Credits gone thread... :confused: But it keeps showing up in your posts. Bob you wanted to move on to something different and now you have so please move on to post the the Comcast section & leave the dish threads be.

Well when the next report shows that Dish did have some churn in the last quarter,but they did stay profitable and when it's reported that Charlie is hiring even more"beancounters" cause you know he sure loves those beans!.Then I believe that a dose of reality will set in and life as we know it will return to normal.;):D

We can only hope.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)