Dish CSR please comment on mixed arc set-up for Puerto Rico and USVI customers

Ok Dish, you say you want us to have a one dish solution 119/110 and we are not supposed to have access to the 61.5. So why would you give us a spot beam on the new 61.2 that is going up?????????

At the time of the 'one dish solution for PR/VI' movement, installations were for a 500PR (119/110) or a 500PR 'Plus' (119, 118.7,110). As far as why DISH would change from that plan, I would have no idea and I could not answer that question. I do not know the overall business plan for the future, and I can only say as a point of fact that 61.5 was not previously supported in your area, and is not currently supported in your area. That being said, future intentions would be speculation from me because, again, plans could change. I cannot speculate further then I already have.

As far as the original purpose of the thread, commenting on 'mixed arc setups' for PR/VI and it being affected by the channel migrations, the answer remains: 61.5 was not supported to be used for HD programming in PR/VI. Also, the channels that are missing now were not offered as an 'available' part of a package sold to PR/VI customers, nor were they offered as 'available' in any press releases about the area. I also mentioned, during the course of this thread, that PR/VI customers were meant to go to a single dish solution as of last year, on the 2 (or 3 in some cases) orbitals that were supported in the area (119, 118.7, 110), rather then having multiple dishes for the supported orbitals. What may come in the future, who knows? If anything related to this comes up as a matter of fact rather then opinion or speculation, I will gladly share that information. Until that time, my team and I can’t speculate further.

Being that DISH refers customers to a retailer, the information is a bit harder to find. As far as the single dish solution direct from DISH (119/110 only) the setup is a 76cm reflector, and the same backing structure, mast, foot, and struts provided for Hawaii East and Alaska, and the 76HE/PR LNBF bracket which would have two low-noise DISH Pro Dual LNBFs.

Being that the 118.7 satellite is an FSS satellite, I would assume that it would be the DBS/FSS Dual Band LNBF for 119/118.7 and a Pro Dual for 110. It may be possible that it uses the new DPP 500+ LNBF. The reflector may also change based on it, I have no idea. Honestly, a retailer in the area (who actually provides the installation) would likely be better equipped to answer that question.

I also found this quite interesting, It is hard to understand, but I believe it says people in PR would need to add a 61.5 to get all 21 channels, even though DUCH has never supported a 61.5 dish in PR

New – Public Interest Channel Package – Effective February 23, 2006

o Should customers wish to call in and request it (800-333-DISH), we have put together a package of 21 Public Interest Channels – for free! Customer Service Representatives, however, will not proactively offer this package to customers; they must voluntarily ask for it to add it on to their other DISH Network programming.

o Please note that 6 of the 21 channels are transmitted from the wings (61.5° and 148° orbital locations), and require a wing antenna to receive them.

o A select group of customers may not already have an appropriate antenna. If they wish to receive all the Public Interest Channels within this a la carte package, they would need to add/upgrade their antenna at their own expense. Examples of these customers include:

- International only programming customers who have no visibility to either the 110° or 119° orbital locations.

- American-programming customers who do not have a wing antenna pointed to either the 61.5° or 148° orbital locations.

- Customers in Hawaii with a DISH 300 antenna with no visibility to the 110° orbital location, or no visibility to the 61.5° or 148° orbital locations – regardless of the type of antenna they may have.

- Customers in Alaska with a DISH 300 and no visibility to the 110°, 61.5° or 148° orbital locations.

- Customers in Puerto Rico with a single antenna and no visibility to the 61.5° or 148° orbital locations.

There were no comments ever made regarding a 61.5 orbital installation in PR/VI for additional HD channels.

Not sure what this was intended to prove, but ok. Just thought I would point out what I said before and still holds true today. I can read it a couple ways, and one way is that PR customers have no visibility to 61.5 and 148, and that DISH would not install those (you would need to see a retailer) to try and get all of the **Public Interest** channels. In any case, it does not say the installation was to support HD channels (which is what I assume your argument was on this point?). My point still stands that PR/VI was not sold channels it could not get, and 61.5 was NOT supported for HD channels in your area. I did say it could have been used for international channels, but I didn't have a reference on that. Fact remains that it was not for HD. Thanks for proving my point for me, though. Also, in 2006 how much HD was there anyway? Since we are bringing in articles without relevance, lets put one with:

http://www.satellitetvwiz.com/534/d...established-24-new-hd-channels-in-puerto-rico

"Dish Network introduced 24 new HD channels in Puerto Rico: With the inclusion of 24 new HD channels, the Dish Network offers a total of 33 channels in Puerto Rico now." (dated Aug 7, 2009, a little more relevant).

:dead

Last edited:
TonyT@DISH Network said:
Not sure what this proves, but ok. Just thought I would point out what I said before and still holds true today. I can read it a couple ways, and one way is that PR customers have no visibility to 61.5 and 148, and that DISH would not install those (you would need to see a retailer). In any case, it does not say HD on there.

:dead

I read it as you are offering PI channels to PR customers on the 61.5, which you claim was never the case. Regardless of whether it's HD or not people in PR can see the 61.5

Hopefully after team summit we will not be treated like a third world country

I read it as you are offering PI channels to PR customers on the 61.5, which you claim was never the case.

Please do not say I claimed anything, especially things I did not say. If you read everything in context of how it was presented (and I was careful in choosing my words) I have never said 61.5 was not to be installed there at all. I said, very pointedly, that DISH did not directly install the satellites, and that 61.5 did not support HD in PR/VI. I have also said that I don't know why that is, and offered possible technical limitations, etc. Your argument would be better if you didn't take what I said and change it. I read the thread, and I am pretty sure I captured all my quotes on the installation. Since I feel you will likely find more, forgive me if I missed specifics on the point I was making.

Here are my posts with regard to 61.5:

DISH Network only supports installations of 119/110 in the PR/VI area..... There were no comments ever made regarding a 61.5 orbital installation in PR/VI for additional HD channels.

The recent migration of core programming from the 61.5 orbital location was not meant to affect PR/VI customers, as the 61.5 orbital location was not meant to provide any HD channels to the area to begin with. I hope that everyone affected by this migration in the PR/VI area understand that the channels that are "going away" were never meant to be received.

Also, 61.5 is still not supported as an HD source in PR/VI.

I understand that you are upset that the channels were moved off of 61.5 (a satellite you should not be getting HD channels from), and that you feel slighted by that.

In PR/VI, 118.7 was meant to be used for international programming. It is possible that 61.5 would have been used for the same thing, however I cannot find any resource saying that orbital was ever to be installed in PR/VI. Reviewing the lineup card, the channels missing were not advertised as available by any means, regardless of configuration.

Last edited:
People seem to forget that the real problem is that Dish is making all those moves to give more HD channels to subscribers, but doing just that limits the chances for the caribbean subscribers to get more HD channels. We talk about orb 61.5 because it has a great footprint for the caribbean. I really don't care if we get the Hd channels from 61 or the spotbeams or anywhere else. I just want to receive them, because I'm paying for them as all of you. By the way Dish still have space available on the spotbeams and is not using it, that's what makes us mad.

By now, all the the movie pkgs subscribers from conus should have move to an eastern or western arc, what's the harm of moving the channels back to 61?
If Dish don't want to do this at least they could add some hd movie channels to the spotbeams, just out of good faith. Come on Charlie there's no reason to deny us what we want, except your greed.

I said, very pointedly, that DISH did not directly install the satellites, and that 61.5 did not support HD in PR/VI.
But you say that as though it's 100% true without qualification! I would recommend that you admit this lack of support is a perverse policy decision only, because technically speaking E15 supports PR very well.

But you say that as though it's 100% true without qualification! I would recommend that you admit this lack of support is a perverse policy decision only, because technically speaking E15 supports PR very well.

Being that the channels are not there (which is what prompted the conversation) I would say that it is not supported, and that is a qualified statement, as much so as the fact that the channels were not advertised as being available to PR/VI customers. Possible and supported are two very separate things. The confusion of the two has created an issue already. While many things are possible (it is 'possible' to receive signal from DISH birds in Canada), it does not mean they are supported (we don't sell service in Canada).

Last edited:
As I stated before, Dish never had a problem getting my money when we were able to subscribe to the same HD Packages as the Conus. Screw the one dish solution we already have that, I don't see any problem adding an additional 30" dish for the 61.5, most of us have it anyway.

Well as promised I downgraded from the AEP to AT250, all PR subscribers should take all Premiums out of their account. Once you get used to HD quality there's no going back.

Being that the channels are not there (which is what prompted the conversation) I would say that it is not supported, and that is a qualified statement, as much so as the fact that the channels were not advertised as being available to PR/VI customers. Possible and supported are two very separate things. The confusion of the two has created an issue already. While many things are possible (it is 'possible' to receive signal from DISH birds in Canada), it does not mean they are supported (we don't sell service in Canada).

Dish does sell service in Puerto Rico, with great profits I may add. Dish have the capacity to offer all the HD channels that we are missing. If Dish doesn't want to do that, at least give us a discount. All we want is to have an equal service for the price we pay.

Guys, I am on the bus back from the Dish Network uplink center. On the bus are two people from Dish Network pr... And believe me these guys want answers. Hopefully they will have some answers soon.

the Dish IRT team knows your upset, but this one is out of their hands for now.

Hopefully we will know more about Dishs plans for pr in the next 3 days. :)

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

Guys, I am on the bus back from the Dish Network uplink center. On the bus are two people from Dish Network pr... And believe me these guys want answers. Hopefully they will have some answers soon.

Hoping you get us some great news ie not only for Dish subs in general....but also for PR subs. Seriously..dish needs to find ways to get more HD for PR subs...as I read that Onelink is converting to all digital like Liberty to get abt 50 HD channels (from OL rep).

They asked for a private meeting with the install guy on ST Thomas so we shall see

Here I am, crossing my fingers.....
Thanks for the info, Scott...

This thread is 22 pages long and i am sorry to say that dish has still not figured it out. its almost like everyone is speaking chinese to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)