Dish CSR please comment on mixed arc set-up for Puerto Rico and USVI customers

Oh ok, that makes sense. Can't we just try to catch 72.7 with a really big dish from PR and change directions of bill? Also, is there NBA League pass and PPV movies in HD? If so, in what satellite?

Unfortunately you just can't see 72.7 in PR. If you could, yes it would solve all problems for you. There is NBA League Pass.
If I'm not mistaken, you can get 110/119 and 61.5. If you get a set-up for those satellites you will get quite a few HD channels.
One interesting thing, you do get several of the HD channels in the Blockbuster package with either 61.5 or 119/110.

I just cant see how hard it is to put more HD on the 110 sat for PR. I mean how hard can it be? and it has been so long with so many complaining....I really dont see why it has not been done. i wish someone who works for dish would comment... and someone who actually knows something.

There's several reasons 110 isn't tailored for PR, no it's not easy. There's only so much bandwidth on a satellite (and overall allotted to Dish) before the signal is degraded. There are many locals on that satellite on the many spotbeams. PR probably will not get any transponder that is a spotbeam and there are mostly spotbeams as I look at it. Even if Dish put some channels there, that is not a guarantee they will stay, that's not how Dish is set-up. You need the whole ARC (with possible 77 exception) to be assured of all programming. If they moved some, you still have people not happy because they wouldn't be the "right" ones. And most importantly, I'm going to say the amount of subscribers are miniscule, there is little incentive to make moves based on that. There are still SD customers who don't need 129, so while they should be on all the satellites of the arc, they really don't need to be. If dish moved SD programming off 110 to 129 (because in your question you be moving channels off 129 to 110) you have thousands possibly who now need an equipment upgrade, for the few in PR. I just don't see it happening. I don't see a good solution. So while it's not impossible in the end I'm not sure just how much better it would be for you, or for how long. Dish is still struggling to get RSN's in HD either full time or at least for all games. It's these type of things that make just moving channels around based on one satellite not easy, and why you need to see the ARC.

Now if you asked about 61.5 I might agree. They moved HD off that satellite to 72. Maybe they could have kept it there at the least for awhile longer, but it might have to do with making room for the RSN's in HD or it might have to do with the new Hopper needing all four major network locals on one transponder for each market.

Last edited:
There's several reasons 110 isn't tailored for PR, no it's not easy. There's only so much bandwidth on a satellite (and overall allotted to Dish) before the signal is degraded. There are many locals on that satellite on the many spotbeams. PR probably will not get any transponder that is a spotbeam and there are mostly spotbeams as I look at it. Even if Dish put some channels there, that is not a guarantee they will stay, that's not how Dish is set-up. You need the whole ARC (with possible 77 exception) to be assured of all programming. If they moved some, you still have people not happy because they wouldn't be the "right" ones. And most importantly, I'm going to say the amount of subscribers are miniscule, there is little incentive to make moves based on that. There are still SD customers who don't need 129, so while they should be on all the satellites of the arc, they really don't need to be. If dish moved SD programming off 110 to 129 (because in your question you be moving channels off 129 to 110) you have thousands possibly who now need an equipment upgrade, for the few in PR. I just don't see it happening. I don't see a good solution.

Now if you asked about 61.5 I might agree. They moved HD off that satellite to 72. Maybe they could have kept it there at the least for awhile longer, but it might have to do with making room for the RSN's in HD.

Just a few comments RE Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

First we do get some HD programming via spot beams.

Secondly with a population of over four million why do we get treated less well than the 24 States that have fewer people and more importantly PR has a more compact geographic area resulting in a higher population density than Wyoming, Montana, etc.?

There may be technical reasons that limits Dish to what they choose to offer in this market, but there is no reason we should have to pay the same price as everyone else for less programming? Up until October 2011 we were charged less because we did not get locals. We now get locals and are charged for them even though the picture quality son some of them is less than SD.

Just a few comments RE Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

First we do get some HD programming via spot beams.

Secondly with a population of over four million why do we get treated less well than the 24 States that have fewer people and more importantly PR has a more compact geographic area resulting in a higher population density than Wyoming, Montana, etc.?

There may be technical reasons that limits Dish to what they choose to offer in this market, but there is no reason we should have to pay the same price as everyone else for less programming? Up until October 2011 we were charged less because we did not get locals. We now get locals and are charged for them even though the picture quality son some of them is less than SD.

Your mixing in a different argument. I did say it isn't fair you pay what I pay for less channels. I did say there may be, by law, nothing Dish can do because they can't make up their own packages without being sure the channels in it are being used per the contract.
Do you know what spotbeams you get in PR? If you could list them that would be helpful. I only see one from the 110 satellite, maybe I'm missing some though.
As for picture quality, that is not the fault of Dish unless they available in HD and Dish doesn't give them in HD. Dish passes along pretty much the quality they get....

I will add, Dish has no real incentive if 1.They have no real competition there (and they don't) 2. They don't have alot of subscribers or if they feel there is little potential for adding alot more. 3. That doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying to get the packages improved. Stricktly on a technical level, yes they could have more channels on those satellites. But practically, for the reasons I listed it isn't easy, which is the premise of my answer to you that you feel it is easy.

And while you may have four million, my comment was based on believing you have very few subscribers to Dish there however. That's like saying how could dish not have RSN's for NY with all those people. Well because dish found there weren't all that many subscribers in that DMA, along with that many who cared so decided the high cost was not worth it.
So the actual number of people only matters in how many actually subscribe.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you just can't see 72.7 in PR. If you could, yes it would solve all problems for you. There is NBA League Pass.
If I'm not mistaken, you can get 110/119 and 61.5. If you get a set-up for those satellites you will get quite a few HD channels.
One interesting thing, you do get several of the HD channels in the Blockbuster package with either 61.5 or 119/110.

All the channels in the Blockbuster Package was removed from PR subs. And that was about 21 channels in HD. If you call DISH you can talk to Charlie, he will say that is not available for secondary citizens, oops people in PR. When it was re-named from Platinum to BB they now show in green in the guide but don't bother to purchase it because you wont. I challenge anyone who can convince them to get them back. You will waste your time. There goes all EPIX 1, EPIX 2, Palladia, HDNET movies and many more. I bet you no one on this forum can help. They were all in HD.

If you have AEP you will have DOZENS of HD content not available. It's now called The Almost Nothing Package ( ANP ). Note: your bill total does not change.

Definitely the short end of the stick. Maybe it would be better if Dish stopped offering service in PR rather than mislead or make people mad......

What Dish doesn't seem to take into consideration is that more Puerto Ricans live in the 48 US states than the four million that live on the island. People tend to move back and forth between the island and the mainland with great frequency. If you don't believe this look at all the direct flights to San Juan.

Do you think that when these Puerto Ricans are living off the island they are going to consider signing up for Dish or to get even they will pick any other video provider stateside but Dish? As my father told me at a young age don't get mad get even.

I not sure I buy that argument. Sure a very few, but yes I think with Dish being less expensive overall and what appears to be the most Spanish programming, they will indeed get Dish stateside. To pay more with possibly less programming hurts the person more than Dish. But that's why I say to avoid that situation Dish should just not offer programming to PR, if they can't offer you the full package or less money for it. Then, problem solved.

All the channels in the Blockbuster Package was removed from PR subs. And that was about 21 channels in HD. If you call DISH you can talk to Charlie, he will say that is not available for secondary citizens, oops people in PR. When it was re-named from Platinum to BB they now show in green in the guide but don't bother to purchase it because you wont. I challenge anyone who can convince them to get them back. You will waste your time. There goes all EPIX 1, EPIX 2, Palladia, HDNET movies and many more. I bet you no one on this forum can help. They were all in HD.

If you have AEP you will have DOZENS of HD content not available. It's now called The Almost Nothing Package ( ANP ). Note: your bill total does not change.
Yesterday I noticed that I lost a LOT of HD, and we didn't have much to begin with. As far as I know we just lost:
MAV TV
Universal HD
Velocity (still can get it on 5710, but no guide info)
HDnet Movies
CI
Palladia
CENTRIC
LOGO
Indie
Retro
Epix 1
Epix 2
MGM
Sony MC
Pixl
Sundance
(these last 2 not HD, but we lost them anyway with this last move)
Still being charge the same.
I used to receive all of them, crystal clear, no problems with reception, no rain fade. This is just another dumb move by DISH. I mean, why not let us subscribe to them? They could verify (pretty easy), that we could get them from 61.5. Most of the people I know that care about TV and have been with DISH for years, already have a dish pointing to 61.5. And 61.5 footprint "burns" Puerto Rico, with signal strength of 89 on a cloudy day.

Do you know what spotbeams you get in PR? If you could list them that would be helpful. I only see one from the 110 satellite, maybe I'm missing some though.

Tampa8: On 119 we have four spot beam Tps being used (TPs 1, 3, 4, 5) and one unused spot beams (TP 7) (which can not be used in current 1-5 spotbeam plan)
On 110 we have TPs 18, 20, 23, 25, 29.

Tampa8: On 119 we have four spot beam Tps being used (TPs 1, 3, 4, 5) and one unused spot beams (TP 7) (which can not be used in current 1-5 spotbeam plan)
On 110 we have TPs 18, 20, 23, 25, 29.

That post was about 110 which is why I said I only see one transponder for PR, which apparently is correct. Even adding 119 there's two. But aren't they already being used? All I was saying was many (maybe most) of TP on 110 seem to be spotbeam and if not for PR I don't think you would see them. In the end I am agreeing you should be getting more for the money or pay less. I stand by I don't think it's as easy as it may seem to do, and in that case Dish should just end service for you until they can do better.

I not sure I buy that argument. Sure a very few, but yes I think with Dish being less expensive overall and what appears to be the most Spanish programming, they will indeed get Dish stateside. To pay more with possibly less programming hurts the person more than Dish. But that's why I say to avoid that situation Dish should just not offer programming to PR, if they can't offer you the full package or less money for it. Then, problem solved.

Direct TV offers their Latin America package in Puerto Rico, USVI and elsewhere in the Carribean and Latin America. I would assume that has at least as much if not more Spanish language programming than Dish. What the Latin American package lacks is as much US Sports. I believe Direct delivers ESPN International which means football is what Americans call soccer. Direct also has little or HD in our market.

You see many complaints and whines from people on this forum wanting more HD. In the Carribbean we get even fewer HD channels (forget about the locals for now ) but pay the same as statesiders. If Dish recogonized this and adjusted the rates to reflect it most people would be satisfied and would forget that many BB channels aren'tavailable here, streaming doesn't work and the B B Stores in this market don't participate in in store exchanges. We can live with the fact that the Hopper and Joey won't be available in this market.

That post was about 110 which is why I said I only see one transponder for PR, which apparently is correct. Even adding 119 there's two. But aren't they already being used? All I was saying was many (maybe most) of TP on 110 seem to be spotbeam and if not for PR I don't think you would see them. In the end I am agreeing you should be getting more for the money or pay less. I stand by I don't think it's as easy as it may seem to do, and in that case Dish should just end service for you until they can do better.
I know it was about 110, I just wanted to add the complete picture. :)
And I don't understand why you say there are only 2 TPs for Puerto Rico. I just listed 5 transponders on 110 and 4 transponders on 119. Am I missing something, or are we talking about different things?

I know it was about 110, I just wanted to add the complete picture. :)
And I don't understand why you say there are only 2 TPs for Puerto Rico. I just listed 5 transponders on 110 and 4 transponders on 119. Am I missing something, or are we talking about different things?

Your're not missing anything, I am....lol I meant transponders. Sorry.

On 1 of the spot beams dish has some Latino channels in mpeg2 SD. They can easily move it out from there as they are duplicate channels. Once done....there is 1 spot available for 7 Additional HD channels for PR subs.

On 119 sat....1 spot seems to be reserved for local HD. Another spot is having MLB HD recently & is sharing it with wgn he which is again duplicate channel. This spot dish has left basically empty from day 1. I assume it is for Disney hd channels otherwise 5 more HD channels more for us.

But as I said before......dish still have the max HD channels in PR & I am more looking forward for dish to add NBC , fox, CBS, abc in HD more then any other channel.

All you guys want is a decent deal for the money, so I too hope you get those channels!

Their rates are set by their costs, and their competition. "Fair" - meh. Life is not fair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts