DISH Debuts Hands-Free TV on Hopper DVR with Amazon Alexa

Just checked, Alexa app is available in the App Store for the fire tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can't use the Alexa app. I know it sounds crazy, but you MUST have an Android or iPhone with Bluetooth to make it work.

You must use the latest Amazon Shopping App and then click on "Your Account".

You can't use the Alexa app. I know it sounds crazy, but you MUST have an Android or iPhone with Bluetooth to make it work.

You must use the latest Amazon Shopping App and then click on "Your Account".
I didn't set mine up with the Fire but I did get the app after I saw the post about not being able to set it up. Went to the app store on the Fire, got the app, and in settings one choice is set up a new Echo. l assumed that was what was needed.

I didn't set mine up with the Fire but I did get the app after I saw the post about not being able to set it up. Went to the app store on the Fire, got the app, and in settings one choice is set up a new Echo. l assumed that was what was needed.
I've been in the Amazon ecosystem since I became a Prime member a few years ago. Virtually ALL my shopping and gadgets come from them. I was selected, by email, to purchase the Echo before it was widely released for $99 (kinda like a beta) and have gone on to buy 3 Dots, a Tap, (with two "Shows" scheduled to arrive 6/28) their top-of-the-line HDX Fire tablet, a 6 pack of 7" tablets (at $39 per) for Christmas gifts and even bought one of their ill-fated Phones when they cleared out the inventory at $50 (which including extending my Prime membership for a year...a $99 value) to use as an iPod.

But I ran into this problem of needing a decent Android or iPhone to register when they introduced "Echo Call" last month. "Echo Call" is a feature where you can make a "phone call" to any other Echo/Dot/Tap or to anyone who has DL'd the Alexa app on their phone. Same thing as with the Dash Wand. My older Android could not DL the upgraded Amazon app and it could not be done from the Alexa app on Fire tablets or the web based Alexa app.

So, knowing my Amazon ecosystem quite well, I can assure you that, at this time, to make the Dash Wand work you will need a Android or iPhone...period.

Which Android phone are you still using?
It's a "Coolpad" model 5560s I got for around $100 when I signed up with Scratch Wireless. A "free" service when using wireless and they try to make their money back when you have to connect through a cellular system and, of course, data data data.

According to the "About Phone" info, it is using Android version 4.2.2. Now Amazon said that to do "Echo Call" you needed 4.1 or higher. They lied.:(

Scratch Wireless did not work very well, and since I am retired and not on the road anymore, I got a simple flip phone from Tracfone. Now, after these two incidences, I'm considering buying a newer Android simply because the trend seems to suggest that all companies are now concentrating on Mobile apps as the "go to" device that "everyone" uses.

I may not like it, but time marches on.

Reactions: DWS44
Hopefully they have plans to improve the "hands free experience" with alexa. Im not very impressed right now. Of course this is dish and any improvements will be at a snails pace

Tried several. Like "go to channel 13" or "tune to ESPN". Now she just says "I'm having trouble communicating. Please try again".
Dish setup says the devices are paired. Dish comes up on the Alexa app. Just cannot get Alexa to communicate.

Last edited:
Tried several. Like "go to channel 13" or "tune to ESPN". Now she just says "I'm having trouble communicating. Please try again".
Dish setup says the devices are paired. Dish comes up on the Alexa app. Just cannot get Alexa to communicate.
When I got that message it was because my network was down. So the Alexa was not connected to my home network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)