Dish Deceives and Misleads

ddlsmith

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2004
I bought a 942 and subscribed to Dish for one reason only....the VOOM channels. When I called to subscribe, I was told by the CSR that I would have to have the HD package ($9.95) in order to get the VOOM channels ($5.00), even though I already get all of their HD offerings (plus more) on TWC and am very happy with the PQ plus do not want a second dish on my house.

I asked the CSR, "So my total cost for VOOM will be $14.95 per month, that is it, right?" I was told, "Yes, that is correct." So the VOOM channels are worth $15 a month to me and I went for it.

Now, 4 days later, I go online to check my account and I am being charged as follows:

Dish Network HD Package $9.99
VOOM Original 5.00
Access Fee 5.00
DVR Service Fee 4.98

TOTAL $24.97

Now the extra ten bucks a month is not gonna break me but I feel mislead, lied to, and am very disappointed. I feel like I just got screwed by a used car dealer. Like an idiot, I bought the 942. I am seriously considering putting it on eBay and telling Dish where they can stick their service. I can wait til VOOM shows up elsewhere and will never go back to Dish as long as I live.

Unfortunately, those charges are correct. They automatically charge you the $5 DVR fee, since you got a 942, and they charge anyone the other $5 fee if you don't subscribe to at least the AT60 package, which is what they consider minimum programming.

I have to ask, though...you actually purchased a $700 942 for just 10 VOOM channels?

ddlsmith, I understand your frustration but after the countless phone calls I made to the DishIdiots and the millions of posts I read and made trying to figure out just how much HDOnly service would cost me I have trouble feeling sorry for you when you just didn't really do your homework. Before signing up, lots of people around here could have and would have told you that it wouldn't really be fifteen bucks a month.

So how much ya want for the 942? :D

Extensive homework is cannot be understated. But, if you want to sell your 942, please let me know.

Before I went with the 942 and packages, I went through the shopping cart process on Dish's Web site, but did not click on the final order button. All the charges were itemized on the left side of the screen for me to scrutinize. I then contacted Dish execs to ask for the 942 new customer deal and my wish was granted. For me, everything about Dish was completely above board.

Keep in mind that if you need help in the future, choose item 3 in their phone tree for TECHNICAL SUPPORT and bypass their regular bonehead support staff. The TS folks can do everything the regular support people can do, plus they are FAR more knowledgeable regarding just abouit everything. The last fellow I spoke with at TS told me all about the Archos AV700 portable media player (he got to play with one a little) that will be available as a rebranded DishPlayer unit -- exceedingly cool -- plugs into 942 and you can take your shows and MP3s and other formats with you -- great device -- forgot to ask him if it will take flash cards -- would be great to offload pics from my Canon Rebel XT in the field -- maybe the USB connection would do that -- can't wait to actually get my hands on one.

Cable in my neck of the woods sucks....very soft PQ whether SD or HD and their DVR box was slow and buggy, so my whole TV experience is with Dish. The 180 package is great. The HD pack and VOOM channels and CBS give me 16 HD channel delights to record and watch off the 942 hard drive at my convenience. I get all the movies I need from NetFlix and run them in my Sony upconverting DVD player with HDMI cable -- not quite as good as true HD, but better than my old Toshiba progressive unit and component cabling.

Enjoy your Dish HD content -- it's worth the money.

IMO You weren't lied to or mislead. From your post all you ever asked the CSR is what the programming fees would be, you never mentioned the service fees.

Also, keep in mind, that the 942 gives you a two-room capability without the additional $5 "second room" charge that you would normally have with other types of boxes.

The HD-only pack with Dish is not very attractive. You lose all promotional discounts, like free HD pack for 6 months, you can't lease the box, etc. In many cases it might be wise to get the minimum package, not just HD and take advantage of all promotions.

Imho if the avg consumer asks a company if the total cost will be X dollars and their bill comes back more, they'll feel lied to.

We on this board know there's no way the total cost would have been $15/month. And we also know CSRs lie all the time, either directly or by omission. When most people, though, ask a company what the total cost will be, they expect an easy to understand, honest answer - not a tricky answer that gives the "total" cost for a portion of their total expenses (programming, or a portion of programming), while omitting this cost the CSR knows will be included, that expense the CSR knows will also be on the bill, etc.

Total cost to most people means an honest, bottom line figure.

TheTimm said:
ddlsmith, I understand your frustration but after the countless phone calls I made to the DishIdiots and the millions of posts I read and made trying to figure out just how much HDOnly service would cost me I have trouble feeling sorry for you when you just didn't really do your homework. Before signing up, lots of people around here could have and would have told you that it wouldn't really be fifteen bucks a month.

So how much ya want for the 942? :D

Timm...my point is that I specifically asked the CSR "Is that the TOTAL cost for the package, $14.95" and he said "Yes." Don't you think he SHOULD have mentioned the extra $10/mo.??? Whatever, I have calmed down and will pay the stupid ten bucks because I want my VOOM!!!!

Actually, if I added the Voom channels to my current programming, the "total cost for the package" for me would be $14.95.

I can see how you thought "total" would equal your entire cost, but I can see where a CSR would make that mistake. According to many here, CSRs are easily confused anyway.:rolleyes:

I hope this won't continue to be a sore subject for you when you were expecting it to cost less.

ddlsmith said:
Timm...my point is that I specifically asked the CSR "Is that the TOTAL cost for the package, $14.95" and he said "Yes." Don't you think he SHOULD have mentioned the extra $10/mo.???
Absolutely.

I had similiar problem and yes I was mislead by 3 different sales people.

Competition is the answer for poor service and high prices however in this
business it's a long way off. :(

just call them, cancel HD pack and at least you will get $10 back. So your total will be $5 + $4.98 + $5 = $14.98 + tax.
If you own receiver, you can cancel packages you don't like/want

I do think the CSR should have pointed out the DVR fee and the service fee for not having at least the AT60.

Minsk1 said:
just call them, cancel HD pack and at least you will get $10 back. So your total will be $5 + $4.98 + $5 = $14.98 + tax.
If you own receiver, you can cancel packages you don't like/want
I will give it a try but they told me I HAD to have the HD package to get the VOOM. Thanks for the advice, we'll give it a shot.

You asked for the total cost of the package and the package you were talking about was the $14.95 package. The cost of the total purchase was more. Yes, the normal person would think they were asking "what will my monthly bill be", and the normal CSR would think the same, but most of these CSR's can't work for McDonalds, so they work for Dish :(

I agree with Barry on this. You should have asked what your first bill would be after tax. Then the Csr would have left the screen giving the package price and into the screen giving the mo. total thus informing you it would be 24 something a mo. Then you would have started asking questions and started finding answers.

When I inquired about adding the voom channels the csr said they were available so I asked the csr what would the cost be and she replied that it would be 99 dollars to have the new antennae installed and five dollars for the additional programming. After the install I get a bill from dish for 272 dollars that was for the dish dual lnb's of which only one was installed. What really ticks me off is I already had the old dish when I had dish500 that could have been reused but the installed refused to use that equipment and the switch well frankly the csr should have mentioned that beforehand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)