Dish/DirectTv-The merger Talk That Won't Die

SQUEEZON

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Oregon
Tucked away in the news concerning Dish wanting internet url sites was a little tidbit by Joe Clayton:

Dish Network Corp. (DISH), the second- largest U.S. satellite-TV provider, applied for the Web-address suffixes “.direct” and “.dtv” -- names that relate more closely to the brand of its chief competitor, DirecTV. (DTV)
A nonprofit Web-management group released a list yesterday of 1,930 applications of new Internet domain suffixes, which companies can use to market their brands and operations. The idea is to go beyond the typical dot-com addresses that are common today. Dish applied for 13 of the names, with two appearing to reference its larger rival.
Aaron Johnson, a spokesman for Englewood, Colorado-based Dish, said the names have nothing to do with DirecTV. Dish is applying for the suffixes to potentially attach them to marketing, strategic and competitive services, Johnson said. He declined to cite specific products or programs that the suffixes may relate to.
“We see these names serving a variety of applications,” Johnson said.
DirecTV doesn’t plan to challenge the applications, which cost $185,000 each. El Segundo, California-based DirecTV didn’t apply for any of the suffixes itself because the company isn’t intending to use them, said Darris Gringeri, a spokesman.
U.S. regulators blocked a proposed merger between Dish and DirecTV in 2002. Dish Chief Executive Officer Joseph Clayton said last year he wouldn’t discount the possibility of a future merger between the two companies.
Dish shares rose 1 percent to $27.22 at 3:19 p.m. in New York. DirecTV climbed 2.1 percent to $43.89.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not a merger but a grab of domain names to put out web pages that grab people and bring them to a Dish site when they are looking for DIRECTV.

Read the last paragraph: U.S. regulators blocked a proposed merger between Dish and DirecTV in 2002. Dish Chief Executive Officer Joseph Clayton said last year he wouldn’t discount the possibility of a future merger between the two companies.

Read the last paragraph: U.S. regulators blocked a proposed merger between Dish and DirecTV in 2002. Dish Chief Executive Officer Joseph Clayton said last year he wouldn’t discount the possibility of a future merger between the two companies.

Of course he's not going to discount it. A CEO of a public company never would.

I have no doubt the two will merge in the future. Changes in the TV ecosystem will eventually demand it. Would Charlie do it now while there is some premium, or milk what he can until linear TV has declined then sell the scraps of the current Dish off after he has wireless established?

I don't really think it will be soon, the feds would still likely block it, and I think Charlie would want too much cash. Right now wireless is Charlie's toy project and Dish is the cash cow paying for it. But if the right offer came along...

I almost think if there were any serious negotiations going on, the domain grabs would not have happened - at least not from Dish. They'd be all hush hush and not want to leak anything.

The only way I see them merging and getting approved is sharing satellites and having more space to add more hd channels :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts