Dish dropping all RSN's (No they are not)

I think all those college sports nets should be placed in their own tier as well.
Why should I have to pay for BIG 10, PAC 12 and SEC networks?
None of those member schools are in this market.

Given Dish's propensity to NOT negotiate with RSN's it comes as no surprise Dish will eventually be dropping the CSN RSN's.
I guess DISH's bean counters have figured out that the subscriber loss in these markets will not hurt that much.

Then the same should apply to all those little niche channels. I don't watch them, yet I am forced to pay for them. What's good for the goose...
Do you see where this is going?
I am comparing two things : PREMIUM MOVIE packs that are available ala cart and PREMIUM Sports packs that should also be available ala cart. IF you take those two packs out of the mix all you have left is the cable niche channels that are available in the basic programming packs. With the sports packs out ,you should see substantial savings ,since those niche channels are what support the price of the sports channels now anyway. But of course ala cart will never happen in the current satellite/cable model. We will continue to see cord cutting accelerate till the current model collapses. Then it will all be ala cart.

Reactions: TheKrell
Right. Only a few Comcast RSN's might be dropped regarding negotiations, not all RSN's.

1. Comcast is a competitor. Of course, Comcast will make an unpalatable proposal for rights for its RSN's on Dish. This is the fault of our government for allowing content owners/programmers to also own MVPD's (cable, FiOS, IPTV, and sat companies).

However, on the larger issue of ALL the RSN's:

2. Ergen has said for many years that the RSN's make the least economic sense with low returns. He even said they were ready to do away with all RSN's just after the old Fox RSN's and Dish finalized a deal to stay on Dish. Of course, talk is one thing and Ergen is the King of dropping hints that may not necessarily reflect Dish's real strategy.

3. Ergen had stated at the last Quarterly Conference Call that ". . . somebody is going to go ahead without RSN's [at some point in the future]. . ." He has always hinted that Dish is always considering dropping even ALL RSN's and explaining why.

4. According the Ergen, he knows what channels we watch, and the numbers on Dish for RSN's is quite small compared to the far more watched ESPN or other channels that carry bigger games such as TNT or the local channels. Ergen feels with the low number of viewers on the RSN's coupled with how expensive they are to acquire, he feels Dish could do well without RSN's--IF IT HAS TO. I don't think Dish wants to drop RSN's, but it will IF THE ECONOMIES MAKE SENSE. Let's face it, RSN's are for die-hard fans, not the masses who watch only the big match-ups, which are never on the RSN's, but are on ESPN's or TNT, or TBS, or the broadcast nets. So, according to Dish statistics as per Egren, the vast majority of Dish subscribers won't miss the RSN's, but will still expect to be able to watch the big, important games on Dish the are televised on the larger channels that are not RSN's.

5. Consider to many other ways people can access sports on-line, etc. as alternatives.

I for one wold love the RSN's to fade away. There is always DirecTV, the sports LEADER to subscribe to---OH, wait a minute. DirecTV does NOT have Pac12 nor the Dodgers channel. Hmm. It seems even Mike White has his limits, too. Well, let DircTV continue to be the sports and higher subscription rates leader and let Dish return to its roots of being the lowest cost provider with great tech that surpassed DirecTV back in 2002. Dish could position itself as the provider for those looking not to subsidize sports channels they never watch.

I doubt Dish will drop all RSN's this round, but it may actually do so in a few years. That would be interesting, and I would be staying on Dish and let others blow their money as they see fit on RSN's.

I doubt Dish will drop all RSN's this round,...
Which is why the poster's title is made up. Having a personal gripe with DISH is no reason to mislead, maybe that's why he has a problem with DISH?

Your points are right on however. If DISH were to drop NESN I would get the MLB package online and keep DISH. If I miss a few games of other sports assuming the cost is substantially less with DISH than other providers, I won't mind. I can always go to a friend's house or a bar for the few big games I might want to see. It appears ESPN is safe for awhile good that DISH has that deal done.

Why should I have to pay for BIG 10, PAC 12 and SEC networks?
None of those member schools are in this market.

I feel the exact same way.....I get these "regional" sports networks that I have no interest in (LHN, SEC, Root Sports Pittsburgh, Sports Time Ohio) but the 1 I would have interest in (MSG) that covers my regional team Is nowhere to be found on Dish.

I really hope Dish can come to an agreement to carry Root Sports Southwest since they carry the Houston teams. Haven't been able to watch the Rockets since they left Fox Sports southwest several years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why the poster's title is made up. Having a personal gripe with DISH is no reason to mislead, maybe that's why he has a problem with DISH?

Your points are right on however. If DISH were to drop NESN I would get the MLB package online and keep DISH. If I miss a few games of other sports assuming the cost is substantially less with DISH than other providers, I won't mind. I can always go to a friend's house or a bar for the few big games I might want to see. It appears ESPN is safe for awhile good that DISH has that deal done.

Its not just dish its pretty every major corporation, see at one point in my professional career I was a maintenance boss at a power plant and once a quarter I flew to corporate to give presentations and power points etc...on the state of affairs. While I was in the position I became very aware of the shadiness that happens in the boardroom. So it not just Dish its pretty much every corporation that I have issues with. Since I am not a yes man and I am not afraid to wave a bs flag if I see something that is wrong, that is why I am where I am at in life. If I was a yes man and didnt rock the boat I would be very well off today, but that isnt me and its not how I was brought up.

Certainly respect your stand but still, the original title is not reflective of the link you gave. Might have been better to simply give your opinion that DISH will be dropping all RSNs..... or even a ? at the end..

Reactions: dishrich and AZ.
There are too many RSNs as it is. Like why the heck does Ohio have 3 RSNs?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That in a nutshell is the real problem, not cost Per Se. It was not envisioned RSNs would fracture into so many. It did three things 1. watered down each RSN 2. drove the cost up for each area, and 3. Makes putting RSNs in HD full time less likely.
Take Comcast New England that was dropped. It has one pro team the Celtics unless you count the Revolution. There is nothing anyone is going to watch during the day perhaps only on Saturday and that is questionable, and a sports show repeated at night.
Put the Celtics on NESN along with the Bruins and Red Sox and problem solved, rinse and repeat for most (Maybe not all) other cities.

For those that don't remember or didn't know, DISH offered to carry every N.Y. RSN if they would agree to A La Carte, and they could charge whatever they wanted. They didn't bite because they know the only way they can exist as presently constituted is to be in most all the packages. I bet other Cable channels feel the same way especially like those that just signed a 450 million dollar deal with the NBA.

I miss the days when there was a local sports network, not nationally affiliated. Much more local sports programming instead of the 80% of national shows like Poker and Dan Patrick.

In my area it was called KBL.

Luckily that is what NESN is in New England. They have managed to show virtually every pro game in HD on DISH for quite sometime now, and just about never JIP. I have long thought they must have a good relationship with DISH. They often have live sports news conferences and extend programming as needed for events without worrying about network considerations.

I am comparing two things : PREMIUM MOVIE packs that are available ala cart and PREMIUM Sports packs that should also be available ala cart. IF you take those two packs out of the mix all you have left is the cable niche channels that are available in the basic programming packs. With the sports packs out ,you should see substantial savings ,since those niche channels are what support the price of the sports channels now anyway. But of course ala cart will never happen in the current satellite/cable model. We will continue to see cord cutting accelerate till the current model collapses. Then it will all be ala cart.
Ok.. Clarifications always work.
I would be in support of sports services being placed in a separate tier as are premium movie channels.
Unfortunately, we have certain leagues ( college) and teams ( mainly MLB and NBA) that produce their own sports services. The team managements require the widest possible distribution in order to make the price palatable to customers. With that the teams battle fiercely to get their services in the lowest tier possible.
This is the kerfuffle that knocked YES off the grid in the NY Metro area. When Dish suggested the new service be on a sports only tier, Steinbrenner basically told Charlie that it was this way or no way. YES was never seen on Dish again.
In fact, YES had the same battle with Cablevision( owned by the Dolan Bros) and Time Warner, these companies had to cave.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Right. Only a few Comcast RSN's might be dropped regarding negotiations, not all RSN's.

1. Comcast is a competitor. Of course, Comcast will make an unpalatable proposal for rights for its RSN's on Dish. This is the fault of our government for allowing content owners/programmers to also own MVPD's (cable, FiOS, IPTV, and sat companies).

However, on the larger issue of ALL the RSN's:

2. Ergen has said for many years that the RSN's make the least economic sense with low returns. He even said they were ready to do away with all RSN's just after the old Fox RSN's and Dish finalized a deal to stay on Dish. Of course, talk is one thing and Ergen is the King of dropping hints that may not necessarily reflect Dish's real strategy.

3. Ergen had stated at the last Quarterly Conference Call that ". . . somebody is going to go ahead without RSN's [at some point in the future]. . ." He has always hinted that Dish is always considering dropping even ALL RSN's and explaining why.

4. According the Ergen, he knows what channels we watch, and the numbers on Dish for RSN's is quite small compared to the far more watched ESPN or other channels that carry bigger games such as TNT or the local channels. Ergen feels with the low number of viewers on the RSN's coupled with how expensive they are to acquire, he feels Dish could do well without RSN's--IF IT HAS TO. I don't think Dish wants to drop RSN's, but it will IF THE ECONOMIES MAKE SENSE. Let's face it, RSN's are for die-hard fans, not the masses who watch only the big match-ups, which are never on the RSN's, but are on ESPN's or TNT, or TBS, or the broadcast nets. So, according to Dish statistics as per Egren, the vast majority of Dish subscribers won't miss the RSN's, but will still expect to be able to watch the big, important games on Dish the are televised on the larger channels that are not RSN's.

5. Consider to many other ways people can access sports on-line, etc. as alternatives.

I for one wold love the RSN's to fade away. There is always DirecTV, the sports LEADER to subscribe to---OH, wait a minute. DirecTV does NOT have Pac12 nor the Dodgers channel. Hmm. It seems even Mike White has his limits, too. Well, let DircTV continue to be the sports and higher subscription rates leader and let Dish return to its roots of being the lowest cost provider with great tech that surpassed DirecTV back in 2002. Dish could position itself as the provider for those looking not to subsidize sports channels they never watch.

I doubt Dish will drop all RSN's this round, but it may actually do so in a few years. That would be interesting, and I would be staying on Dish and let others blow their money as they see fit on RSN's.
Here's the problem with dropping ALL RSN's. There are enough sports fans, I think Charlie is full of mierda BTW, that doing this would have and adverse effect on subs. If Dish dropped all RSN's, I'd be gone.
Period. IN fact I have Dish for a few reasons....NFL Red Zone, HRTV....NO contract. Been with them for 17 years. Owned equipment.

I miss the days when there was a local sports network, not nationally affiliated. Much more local sports programming instead of the 80% of national shows like Poker and Dan Patrick.

In my area it was called KBL.
That's the way SportsChannel NY and MSG used to be. If there was not a pro event on( very rare) the programming was geared to the local teams.

There are too many RSNs as it is. Like why the heck does Ohio have 3 RSNs?
technically they have only 2. Fox Sports Ohio and Sportstime Ohio
Sportstime Ohio was created for the Indians (ala the YES Network, Dodgers channel and any other 1 team network)
FS Cincy is actually just a subfeed of FS Ohio. (like Root Utah, FS Indiana, FS Carolinas, FS Tennessee)

technically they have only 2. Fox Sports Ohio and Sportstime Ohio
Sportstime Ohio was created for the Indians (ala the YES Network, Dodgers channel and any other 1 team network)
FS Cincy is actually just a subfeed of FS Ohio. (like Root Utah, FS Indiana, FS Carolinas, FS Tennessee)
Still too many! Reds, Indians, Cavs, Crew, etc any crossover can be placed on an overflow feed.

NESN needs to be the rule not an exception.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChadT41
When I was growing up we could watch most Mets games on WOR NY, most Yankee games on WPIX NY, most Braves games on TBS, most Red Sawx games on TV 38 WSBK. RSNs ruined it all. Of course the players would disagree because back then they made peanuts compared to what they're making now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)