Dish dropping all RSN's (No they are not)

Careful. You'll become a pompom fanboy.
I could care less about being called that. Just pointing out the irrationality in the posts that I see here. Hell, even the ABC Disney negotiation with long term extensions had people complaining even though channels never went dark. Sometimes I'm just left scratching my head. What exactly do people expect Dish to do? (Keeping in mind that both Dish and the providers are businesses that operate in the real world and that they have a fiduciary duty to drive the hardest bargain they can to maximize shareholder value.) I want more for less too, but it's just not realistic to expect or demand it, especially in this industry.

Reactions: dare2be and ChadT41
I could care less about being called that. Just pointing out the irrationality in the posts that I see here. Hell, even the ABC Disney negotiation with long term extensions had people complaining even though channels never went dark. Sometimes I'm just left scratching my head. What exactly do people expect Dish to do? (Keeping in mind that both Dish and the providers are businesses that operate in the real world and that they have a fiduciary duty to drive the hardest bargain they can to maximize shareholder value.) I want more for less too, but it's just not realistic to expect or demand it, especially in this industry.

Some are complaining about the symptom not the problem. Symptom is disputes, problem is runaway costs and inability for DISH (or others) to change the system, such as make RSN's a separate package.

Reactions: dare2be
What exactly do people expect Dish to do? (Keeping in mind that both Dish and the providers are businesses that operate in the real world and that they have a fiduciary duty to drive the hardest bargain they can to maximize shareholder value.) I want more for less too, but it's just not realistic to expect or demand it, especially in this industry.

With that same exact logic couldn't you say the same for Comcast Sports??????? Whats the difference?... My bill never goes down?... But all CEOs and CFOs always get more.....stocks don't split because of it....

The difference is that unlike the content owners like Comcast Sports, the MVPDs aren't paying for exclusive contracts in record number$ and expecting the majority of subscribers to pay for it. It's time for companies to start suffering the consequences of their fiscal irresponsibility.

Reactions: NotMe546
With that same exact logic couldn't you say the same for Comcast Sports??????? Whats the difference?... My bill never goes down?... But all CEOs and CFOs always get more.....stocks don't split because of it....
Would you get pissed if when dish added a channel, your bill immediately went up? Every time? Dish and most other providers, eat the cost of the increase, until the annual increase(Febuary 1st for dish), but people only remember the dropped channels, and want the discount for those channels immediately. Just remember all the Disney stations taken care of this year, and how much your bill has not changed at all because of it.

The difference is that unlike the content owners like Comcast Sports, the MVPDs aren't paying for exclusive contracts in record number$ and expecting the majority of subscribers to pay for it. It's time for companies to start suffering the consequences of their fiscal irresponsibility.

Now this is an assumption.....The same could be said for dish.... Either way....these companies are about making $$$$ and providing a service.... It doesn't work one way only!

Would you get pissed if when dish added a channel, your bill immediately went up? Every time? Dish and most other providers, eat the cost of the increase, until the annual increase(Febuary 1st for dish), but people only remember the dropped channels, and want the discount for those channels immediately. Just remember all the Disney stations taken care of this year, and how much your bill has not changed at all because of it.

Now we all know that this would never happen....why? No one wants that label.... This is pure capitalism.... And we the middle class are just stuck in the middle....If it did go up.... " we would have someone to blame then" will never happen!

I just saw an interesting tweet about CSN Chicago and the Bulls game last night:

Jeff Nuich ?@JeffNuich 4 minutes ago
TV Ratings: Over 292,400 Chicago mrkt households were tuned into OT for last night's #Bulls-#Mavs game on @CSNChicago; #1 for Adults 18-49.

292,400 were watching the Bulls/Mavs game on CSN Chicago. Doing a Google search shows me that there are about 2.5 million households in Chicago that pay for cable tv. That is about 12% tuned into the game. Not at all far off from what has been reported about 10% of the population watches the RSN at peak times - and that was for a very big/exciting Bulls game.

Reactions: AZ.
Now this is an assumption.....The same could be said for dish.... Either way....these companies are about making $$$$ and providing a service.... It doesn't work one way only!
What's an assumption? That the reported sports contracts that companies like Disney, Turner, CSN, etc. are in record numbers? Nope, not an assumption.

How could the same be said for dish? They don't buy overpriced sports contracts. Have you compared profit margins from MVPDs like Direct and Dish to content owners like Disney, Comcast, Fox Sports? I have.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
What's an assumption? That the reported sports contracts that companies like Disney, Turner, CSN, etc. are in record numbers? Nope, not an assumption.

How could the same be said for dish? They don't buy overpriced sports contracts. Have you compared profit margins from MVPDs like Direct and Dish to content owners like Disney, Comcast, Fox Sports? I have.

Yep.....dish is a non profit!..... Get real..... Your stuck in the middle just as I am... Its about $$$$$ for both sides, and we pay the price for service..... gezzzzz

Dish and Direct have profit margins in the single digits. Most of the content owners have profit margins well into the double-digits. 90% of the upward price pressure is on the content owners. So yeah, we're stuck in the middle, but it's not a 50/50 proposition. That's real. Gezzzz

Dish and Direct have profit margins in the single digits. Most of the content owners have profit margins well into the double-digits. 90% of the upward price pressure is on the content owners. So yeah, we're stuck in the middle, but it's not a 50/50 proposition. That's real. Gezzzz

Great show me those profit margins of 90%..... and I believe you.....until then there all out to steal as much $$$ from you and me all in the name of capitalism....!

How is it stealing if you willingly sign up to buy it? Should entertainment be produced and distributed by the government for a flat fee at a loss perhaps so that no one stole from us. Is a movie actor making $20 mil per movie stealing? Is a ballplayer making $30 mil per season stealing? Is Tiger Woods stealing $120 mil per year from his endorsements? Bottom line entertainment costs and if enough people shut it off it will go down in price. Problem is we all like it. I know my wife likes her shows, my kids like their shows, I like some shows too. When the bill becomes too much we will cut back. We have cut things out of our Dish subscription already. I can see BBAH going next and then perhaps sending a Joey back next. I hate to think of it but I might even have to drop a package or two if it goes much higher. But again it is only entertainment, not food, shelter or clothing. Speaking of clothing, I was looking at men's T-shirts over the weekend and an 8 Pack of Men's V-neck white from Hanes was $18.49!!! Is it me or was that package like 5 bucks about 3 years ago?????? $7.50 at the most. But clothing is a necessity, TV's not.

Reactions: Tampa8 and ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)