Dish dropping all RSN's (No they are not)

When I was growing up we could watch most Mets games on WOR NY, most Yankee games on WPIX NY, most Braves games on TBS, most Red Sawx games on TV 38 WSBK. RSNs ruined it all. Of course the players would disagree because back then they made peanuts compared to what they're making now.

Sports coverage has come a long way since then. (I had a huge antenna and booster to get Channel 38 in those days to see the Red Sawx games) NESN has coverage before and after games and of press conferences no regular channel is going to have. I really think the problem is having multiple RSNs in so many DMAs. Of course the amount the players are paid does reflect the ever increasing costs to see a game in the park or on TV.

Still too many! Reds, Indians, Cavs, Crew, etc any crossover can be placed on an overflow feed.

NESN needs to be the rule not an exception.
How many metropolitan areas does NESN serve as far as professional teams go? One, from what I can tell. There are 2 metropolitan areas (3 if you count Columbus with the Crew and Blue Jackets). I'd say 2 is about right, with one overflow.

Sports coverage has come a long way since then. (I had a huge antenna and booster to get Channel 38 in those days to see the Red Sawx games) NESN has coverage before and after games and of press conferences no regular channel is going to have. I really think the problem is having multiple RSNs in so many DMAs. Of course the amount the players are paid does reflect the ever increasing costs to see a game in the park or on TV.

I went to Fenway Park in 1981 and got in for $2 with a General Admission ticket and could sit in any unoccupied seat. That year there were many for most games and I sat in the first row against the Pensky Pole FOR TWO DOLLARS!!!!! Now you can't park for $2.

True - but - would you rather pay low prices for a team never winning a World Series, or pay higher prices for a team that has won THREE world series in 10 years and is in the playoffs most years? For all the talk about teams like Oakland and Tampa with low payrolls, there are no World Series wins, and one appearance. (In recent times for the Athletics) So I don't mind paying more for an RSN like NESN, but don't splinter the teams into multiple RSNs all getting top dollar.

Reactions: ChadT41 and AZ.
I went to Fenway Park in 1981 and got in for $2 with a General Admission ticket and could sit in any unoccupied seat. That year there were many for most games and I sat in the first row against the Pensky Pole FOR TWO DOLLARS!!!!! Now you can't park for $2.
I stopped going to live NFL games because of ticket cost unless you want to sit in the nose bleed sections.
The NFL last game I went to was Dallas at NYG in 2009 it was the second game between them and my ex girl friend(She is a Giants fan I am Cowboys fan) bought two tickets in section 113 of Giants Stadium and it was around $700 just for the tickets.

How many metropolitan areas does NESN serve as far as professional teams go? One, from what I can tell. There are 2 metropolitan areas (3 if you count Columbus with the Crew and Blue Jackets). I'd say 2 is about right, with one overflow.

I do think NESN should be the norm not the exception particularly being a true local RSN, but I agree in some areas with more than one team in each pro sport a second could be needed. NESN covers all of New England with two pro teams and could carry the third if needed. (Football of course is not on RSN) They also have Boston College. Uconn however is on a NY RSN. I'm definitely not certain but I don't think any other Colleges/Universities in NE are tied to an RSN.
They most likely could not cover a second baseball team, Hockey team etc... and do as good a job. So large areas with many pro sport teams probably do need more than one RSN.

Giants' statement on Dish potentially dropping CSN
Call 1-844-I-Want-CSN (1-844-492-6827 toll-free) and urge DISH to keep Comcast SportsNet.
Editor's note: The Giants released the following statement regarding DISH Network potentially dropping Comcast SportsNet from their lineup on Tuesday:
We are proud of our three World Series championships over the last five years. We are also very proud of the relationship we have with our faithful fans. Many Giants fans have built a connection with the team through our longtime television partner, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.Unfortunately, it has been reported that DISH may drop Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, denying their subscribers Giants baseball and other exclusive programming.We obviously hope DISH does not drop Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.
If you are a DISH subscriber, call 1-844-I-Want-CSN (1-844-492-6827 toll-free) and urge DISH to keep Comcast SportsNet Bay Area so you don’t miss any Giants programming and news all year long. For more information go to www.IWANTCSNBA.com.
San Francisco Giants media services http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/giants-statement-dish-potentially-dropping-csn?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

True - but - would you rather pay low prices for a team never winning a World Series, or pay higher prices for a team that has won THREE world series in 10 years and is in the playoffs most years? For all the talk about teams like Oakland and Tampa with low payrolls, there are no World Series wins, and one appearance. (In recent times for the Athletics) So I don't mind paying more for an RSN like NESN, but don't splinter the teams into multiple RSNs all getting top dollar.

I would like to win World Series of course. I am a Mets fan (who would say one was, that wasn't?) and they have spent a fortune over the last 30 years since the last championship and it's like pouring money down a rat hole. Before all of the craziness of quarter billion dollar contracts with players baseball seemed so much more fun. I loved my team but could also watch and enjoy the Yankees and Red Sox. Now I just see the Yankees as the Evil Empire buying every top free agent they can get their hands on. Listen to NY talk radio and it is non stop Yankee fans suggesting which top flight free agent they should go out and get. Money is ruining the sport from a fun standpoint.

Reactions: dare2be
If the cost is so high Dish drops them, others will follow as the RSNs try to recoup the loss by ever higher fees. Might be the end of RSNs as we know them.

But wouldn't Comcast want Dish to drop their RSN's? If Dish doesn't have it, that becomes a chance for Comcast to pick up more xfinity subscribers and eliminate a competitor. Granted, not everyone can get Comcast cable and it didn't work well for CSN Houston, but I would think Comcast would want fewer options for customers. Maybe there are so many rural people that Dish catches that Comcast could never get and pull revenue in from and they get more revenue from Dish than I think. FOX RSN's on the other hand - since Fox doesn't provide TV services, they have to have as many providers on boards.

There is a game going on here:

Dish's objectives:

1. Keep cost down
2. Not everyone wants sports, so cost is in the mix as well as tier options. Price increases affects many people, but is used/viewed by less than 100% of folks. If Comcast allowed it to be offered ala carte, Dish would be on board ASAP. Comcast is not going to do that....they'd have a huge revenue decrease.....so move it up a tier....well, Dish would go for that (less viewers, and more ability to spread the cost among users that want to watch), Comcast does not want to do that. So there is a tug of war going on here.
3. Only some Comcast RSNs are on Dish; here in Oregon we never have had CSN-NW and there are others (in Philadelphia, NY ) that seemingly are not offered either. So could a deal be a broader issue? Could it be access all or none?
4. Costs for sports are increasing at a rapid pace.....and who foots the bill....we do as customers....we all have our breaking point. The recent Dish-Turner issue is likely over the new NBA contract TNT signed that needs a huge rate increase to be spread across tons of customers. Once bills reach $90 - 100 folks start dropping off. Dish has to deal with that...it looses customers when prices go up. So from Dish's perspective, maybe CSN needs to keep its costs in check and not participating upsurps the model.
5 In some areas Comcast controls most of the market, in other areas it is a smaller percentage. In Oregon and Washington Comcast owns much of the market, thus there is no incentive to make CSN NW available at a lower cost. Comcast picks up customers because of the channel. Same I guess is true in Philadelphia. How much of the Chicago, Boston, and DC market does Comcast control?
6. Comcast is supposedly inheriting Time Warner's sports channels...giving it even more control over local sports. This could also be teh reason Dish is pushing back.

My bet is this - if Comcast doesn't back down on costs and providing ALL of the channels then they will be gone entirely from Dish. In some markets I bet Dish makes up a bigger percentage of customers than in others - and that could be a huge hit for the sports channel to absorb.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
There is a game going on here:

5 In some areas Comcast controls most of the market, in other areas it is a smaller percentage. In Oregon and Washington Comcast owns much of the market, thus there is no incentive to make CSN NW available at a lower cost. Comcast picks up customers because of the channel. Same I guess is true in Philadelphia. How much of the Chicago, Boston, and DC market does Comcast control?

I just pulled up this map - never realized these percentages: http://www.cabletv.com/comcast/availability-map

Comcast is only available in 8% of Illinois and 34% of California. Comcast is then available in 63% of Oregon, 87% of Massachusetts, 99% of DC, 93% of Maryland, 76% of Pennsylvania. Wish I could break that map down a little bit more. But from Comcast's perspective, it seems like they have most of the in-market areas covered.

I just pulled up this map - never realized these percentages: http://www.cabletv.com/comcast/availability-map

Comcast is only available in 8% of Illinois and 34% of California. Comcast is then available in 63% of Oregon, 87% of Massachusetts, 99% of DC, 93% of Maryland, 76% of Pennsylvania. Wish I could break that map down a little bit more. But from Comcast's perspective, it seems like they have most of the in-market areas covered.

That sums up why CSN Chicago is really concerned.....most of the viewers of CSN Chicago come from non-Comcast systems....thus they take a bigger hit if providers start falling over costs

That sums up why CSN Chicago is really concerned.....most of the viewers of CSN Chicago come from non-Comcast systems....thus they take a bigger hit if providers start falling over costs
CSN chicago at least in the past has been better then the other ones is comcast ropeing them in with other CSN's for dish? even when the teams own most of the network?

att uverse has big on sponsorship on CSN chi. And if they want join up with directv they will have a big part of the CSN chi market. Maybe they should buy out the comcast part.

Article from the Tribune today says dropping CSN Chicago would affect 342,000 Dish subscribers in the Chicago area.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-csn-dish-blackout-1128-biz-20141127-story.html

"Regional sports networks also skew higher in affiliate revenue. CSN Chicago gets average monthly fees of $3.25 per subscriber, which ranks 11th among regional sports networks, according to SNL Kagan. CSN Mid-Atlantic ranks second at $4.60 per subscriber, while CSN Bay Area is fifth at $3.53 per subscriber." Also mentions that the fees the companies pay are the main source of income, advertising revenue is second.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)