DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Why would AMC ever agree to give away their most popular shows at a reduced rate? If they did that every provider would want that deal. They would be giving away their most popular shows with little to no advertising money for the rest of the week and making much less than they are today. There is no way they would agree to take a pay cut at the same time as their shows are increasing in popularity. That just isn't realistic at all. If anything Dish would probably have to pay more for the right to only show AMC on Sunday nights to make up for the lost advertising revenue.

May not be realistic, but he actually has a point. I watch AMC for Breaking Bad, The Killing, The Walking Dead and Hell on Wheels. For all others who do the same, AMC is not getting the eyes anyway.

Let's see Nick's programming is dominated by one show (Sponge Bob) and it's ratings have been going down. AMC is putting out a totally different product then it had a few years ago and it's ratings have gone up. What does Netflix have to do with either one?

Someone posted a link showing that more people are watching online more -- I don't think online/streaming viewership is reflected in the ratings.

Let's see Nick's programming is dominated by one show (Sponge Bob) and it's ratings have been going down. AMC is putting out a totally different product then it had a few years ago and it's ratings have gone up. ?

Point of order:
AMC's OVEALL ratings have been either flat or down over the last two years. AMC's ratings for TWO original programs when in first run (not reruns) are through the roof. I have shown the actual numbers over and over again. As a network AMC actually FELL from 16 to 17 (where it was two years ago) measured over 24 hour period with all audiences.

Let's see Nick's programming is dominated by one show (Sponge Bob) and it's ratings have been going down. AMC is putting out a totally different product then it had a few years ago and it's ratings have gone up. What does Netflix have to do with either one?

Netflix carries spongebob. So, viewers can pick any episode they want to watch on demand. Why settle with what Nick is showing when you can always see your favorite episodes. Kids love to watch the same things over and over...

Point of order:
AMC's OVEALL ratings have been either flat or down over the last two years. AMC's ratings for TWO original programs when in first run (not reruns) are through the roof. I have shown the actual numbers over and over again. As a network AMC actually FELL from 16 to 17 (where it was two years ago) measured over 24 hour period with all audiences.

Yep, but nobody wants to listen to that, everyone thinks the 2hrs of Sunday programming reflects the entire networks ratings.

Yep, but nobody wants to listen to that, everyone thinks the 2hrs of Sunday programming reflects the entire networks ratings.
With one series about to be over (Breaking Bad) after one more season, and another one predicted to be cancelled (The Killing) that will presumably result in one hour for at least six months of the year.

Point of order:
AMC's OVEALL ratings have been either flat or down over the last two years.

Dropped, but up 1.182 +8%. Problem with the TV ratings is they only reflect TV viewership. Even Viacom, which owns Nickelodeon, has blamed recent ratings declines on the Internet. The TV ratings may look bad, but on the revenue side, its a + for AMC -- first quarter net revenues were up 19.5% partly due to the Netflix deal to stream their top shows.

demsd said:
ReallY? Name those networks that DISH dropped over carriage fee disputes that were also suing DISH.

My entire point is that networks get dropped from Dish over carriage fees regardless of the existence or non-existence of a court case. So this response just proves my point further, Dish's MO is to get into disputes if they don't like the carriage terms being sought by providers. If you could point to a past pattern of court cases leading to carriage disputes, that would strengthen your argument that it's only about the case. But, that's not at all what you did.

demsd said:
I already have.

No you haven't. What is behind your claimed knowledge of Dish's position? What's your source of inside knowledge? Until you provide one, you views are just your personal take on the situation. Contrary to popular belief opinion and speculation are not the same thing as fact.

Dropped, but up 1.182 +8%. Problem with the TV ratings is they only reflect TV viewership. Even Viacom, which owns Nickelodeon, has blamed recent ratings declines on the Internet. The TV ratings may look bad, but on the revenue side, its a + for AMC -- first quarter net revenues were up 19.5% partly due to the Netflix deal to stream their top shows.
Dish's negotiation point.

My entire point is that networks get dropped from Dish over carriage fees regardless of the existence or non-existence of a court case. So this response just proves my point further, Dish's MO is to get into disputes if they don't like the carriage terms being sought by providers. If you could point to a past pattern of court cases leading to carriage disputes, that would strengthen your argument that it's only about the case. But, that's not at all what you did.

What was the last network to be dropped over a carriage fee dispute? What was the last network that sued DISH, where DISH then got into a carriage fee dispute?

Like DISH, you act as though the lawsuit is inconsequential and has nothing to do with the retaliation. Charlie made his decision public in May, just after the SCONY ruling. Too convenient.

No you haven't. What is behind your claimed knowledge of Dish's position? What's your source of inside knowledge? Until you provide one, you views are just your personal take on the situation. Contrary to popular belief opinion and speculation are not the same thing as fact.

The facts are staring you in the face, but you are too much the hardcore DISH fan to accept the truth.

FACT: DISH has NEVER been in a fee dispute with a network that was also suing them for breach of contract.
FACT: CNN's ratings are dropping like a stone -- John King was just cancelled -- and yet no complaints from DISH over minuscule viewership or carriage fees. No channel move. No threats to drop them.
FACT: AMC runs warnings about the dispute, and in response, DISH downgraded AMC to where infomercials and other low-quality content call home. Bob Toevs acknowledged it was in retaliation for the warnings from AMC. He said "We regret that AMC decided to involve viewers in that particular way," and that the warnings "hastened" the decision to downgrade the channel positions. Yet, FX and a other networks have also warned DISH customers about a possible loss of their channel, and DISH never moved those networks.
FACT: In the past, DISH ran warnings and setup websites to notify us that we might lose a channel. Yet, oddly enough, DISH has been mum as far as AMC is concerned.
FACT: There are dozens of networks that are well below AMC in the rankings, yet...

You are correct, sir. The past seven years I have been a DISH customer was a complete pipe dream -- must be all that ghanga. Channels are downgraded and and then dropped in carriage fee disputes all the time. Its common practice for DISH to behave as it has with AMC. Nothing unusual about it. Breach of contract lawsuit? Eh! DISH is defending itsself against those everyday and treats all networks the same way it is treating AMC.

Last edited:
Dish's negotiation point.

Nothing uncommon with a little wrangling between DISH and the networks. I just wish someone would show an example where DISH has treated another network -- in the top 20 -- as it has AMC. If its all about carriage fees, someone here could provide dozens of examples.

FACT: DISH has NEVER been in a fee dispute with a network that was also suing them for breach of contract.
FACT: CNN's ratings are dropping like a stone -- John King was just cancelled -- and yet no complaints from DISH over minuscule viewership or carriage fees. No channel move. No threats to drop them.
FACT: AMC runs warnings about the dispute, and in response, DISH downgraded AMC to where infomercials and other low-quality content call home. Bob Toevs acknowledged it was in retaliation for the warnings from AMC. He said "We regret that AMC decided to involve viewers in that particular way," and that the warnings "hastened" the decision to downgrade the channel positions. Yet, FX and a other networks have also warned DISH customers about a possible loss of their channel, and DISH never moved those networks.
FACT: In the past, DISH ran warnings and setup websites to notify us that we might lose a channel. Yet, oddly enough, DISH has been mum as far as AMC is concerned.
FACT: There are dozens of networks that are well below AMC in the rankings, yet...

It's beyond foolish to compare what AMC is doing to CNN. CNN isn't asking for a large increase, and as has already been posted, is that really what you want to compare AMC? News channels are a different breed, I wouldn't doubt during major events they draw more than AMC, that's the nature of news networks.
You really don't see a correlation between Nicelodean and this? Being available on Netflix? It bothers other carriers, it shouldn't bother Dish?
You don't seem to differentiate like most of have done, how dish is handling it, and the actual dispute. Very early on most of us said and still say Dish is acting childishly in this. But you don't want to think. In your facts, you don't talk about how AMC said they are worth much more than what they currently get. I'll translate that, "We want a big increase, and no you can't drop any of our other channels to make up for that increase." You also didn't mention Dish DID drop a major channel (locally) MSG much in the same way, they wanted alot of money and insisted on another channel being carried.
I don't want them to drop AMC, but you are blind to think it's all about the VOOM lawsuit.

Problem with the TV ratings is they only reflect TV viewership..
That is the ONLY viewership Dish is concerned about. They couldn't care less how many people watch AMC on Netflix. AFAIK any time some one watches AMC programs on demand through Dish it costs dish MORE.

The numbers you show also are misleading. AMC grew their audience (via internet and other distribution) 8% among 18-34 year-olds not overall. Their overall numbers were either flat or down.

Networks are dropped by Dish over fee disputes all the time! Some are returned. Some off the top of my head, GolTV, F:mad:was returned within days), ABC Family HD, Disney HD, Toon Disney/Disney XD HD, more international channels than I can shake a stick at, WE/Romance Classics was dropped before due to fees, that is when we got Oxygen. Smithsonian HD was dropped due to low ratings and duplication of programs along with fees issues.

Disney and Dish are also in the middle of litigation so they would probably fit the bill for networks dropped while in litigation with parent company.

Dropping low-rated channels is nothing new when they ask for more money that Dish thinks they are worth!

At the end of the day if you aren't happy, there are alternatives. Weigh your options, and if another provider seems lucrative then switch. But to sit here and play AMC Pong is getting old. I personally as of now would never jump to cable in my area, and believe it or not, Epix has me not even questioning DirecTV. But Dish is very good with my RSNs (NESN & CSN New England). The two ESPN channels I care about are in HD. My kids don't care about Disney in SD. As for AMC, I really don't watch their programming, except for Walking Dead ... on Netflix. I'm that far behind. Welcome to America, if you don't like something, switch.

Dish dropping AMC really only hurts 2 sets of people:

1. AMC watchers that are locked into a 2 year contract with Dish. They will have to decide if the early termination fee or downgrade to minimum programming and switching providers is worth it.

2. AMC watchers that do not have an alternative. I know DIRECTV is everywhere, but there are a few channels that Dish carries that DIRECTV does not (like BBCAHD).

No provider is perfect. Dish well let down a percentage of their customers by dropping AMC. I think one of the things that irritates so many posters in this thread is that one way or another they do not have an alternative to Dish, they either have to take the financial early termination hit or give up something else that they like to switch providers.

Dish dropping AMC really only hurts 2 sets of people:

1. AMC watchers that are locked into a 2 year contract with Dish. They will have to decide if the early termination fee or downgrade to minimum programming and switching providers is worth it.

2. AMC watchers that do not have an alternative. I know DIRECTV is everywhere, but there are a few channels that Dish carries that DIRECTV does not (like BBCAHD).
No provider is perfect. Dish well let down a percentage of their customers by dropping AMC. I think one of the things that irritates so many posters in this thread is that one way or another they do not have an alternative to Dish, they either have to take the financial early termination hit or give up something else that they like to switch providers.
Not the first, but a welcome, logical post. Thanks for the fresh air of reasoning.

At the end of the day if you aren't happy, there are alternatives. Weigh your options, and if another provider seems lucrative then switch. But to sit here and play AMC Pong is getting old. I personally as of now would never jump to cable in my area, and believe it or not, Epix has me not even questioning DirecTV. But Dish is very good with my RSNs (NESN & CSN New England). The two ESPN channels I care about are in HD. My kids don't care about Disney in SD. As for AMC, I really don't watch their programming, except for Walking Dead ... on Netflix. I'm that far behind. Welcome to America, if you don't like something, switch.

Epix...BLAH! It's just as bad as the other movies channels, without a very transparent channel bug too. Same movies over and over and over again (yeah, one of those includes one of The Addams Family moves...in fact...the first one is on right now on Epix 1.)

It might be fine for streaming, but through regular cable tv means....yeah...I wouldn't miss the monotony on the Epix channels one bit if I have to switch to Directv.