DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Oh, come on. This is Charlie Ergen we are talking about. He will state his opinion at any time to any one below him, and expect it to be addressed accordingly. And, whomever he states it to will either follow through out of a desire to keep their position, or they will resign.

Yea I agree Clayton may be the face of Dish right now but I have little doubt that Charlie still runs the show.

Not unlike Russia with Medveyev as President and Putin as Prime Minister.

That's a better analogy than the one I had lol.

I was thinking more along the lines of WWE.Vince McMahon is still the man in charge even though his son in law Paul Levesque is the man with the title and face of the company.:D

As a sign of "good faith" perhaps AMC and IFC should drop all of the commercials they added to make more money. They added commercials to make more money and now they want to charge DISH more to carry their channels. Phoooy! Sounds like they're getting greedy like the Disney rodent.

Comcast is now trying to cash in. Heard a radio commercial encouraging Dish customers to switch.

Yea I agree Clayton may be the face of Dish right now but I have little doubt that Charlie still runs the show.

This is my feeling as well. I consider Joe more a figurehead then actually a guy whos actually doing something.

Even at Team Summit, it was Charlie walking around talking interfacing while Joe was back home already in his EZ Chair.

Joe is a great leader and modevator and knows how to razzle dazzle the press and to me that is where he shines.

This move was too much for us - we're not willing to go without AMC (YMMV, of course), so, as much as we enjoyed Dish, we decided it was time to switch back to Comcast - the Triple Play pricing gave us HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz/NFL/RedZone, internet service averaging 24Mbps, and VOIP, price-locked for 2 years at $159, then reverting to market rate (which is $209 for the same services). Plus, a $250 Visa gift card in 4 months!

If this were just a comparison of TV service, I would say that Dish has it all over Comcast in price. Add the other packaged services, and the fact that Comcast isn't even threatening to dump channels, and it was a fairly easy decision for us - keep AMC, save $100/month overall.

With respect to quality service, my inclination is to go with the company that screwed me the longest time ago, because somehow, someway, they all will screw you. Unfortunately for me, that means DirecTV is up after Comcast does it again... ;)

Good luck and happy channel surfing!

Cash in is the key words :) their receiver fees are crazy!

This move was too much for us - we're not willing to go without AMC (YMMV, of course), so, as much as we enjoyed Dish, we decided it was time to switch back to Comcast - the Triple Play pricing gave us HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz/NFL/RedZone, internet service averaging 24Mbps, and VOIP, price-locked for 2 years at $159, then reverting to market rate (which is $209 for the same services). Plus, a $250 Visa gift card in 4 months!

If this were just a comparison of TV service, I would say that Dish has it all over Comcast in price. Add the other packaged services, and the fact that Comcast isn't even threatening to dump channels, and it was a fairly easy decision for us - keep AMC, save $100/month overall.

With respect to quality service, my inclination is to go with the company that screwed me the longest time ago, because somehow, someway, they all will screw you. Unfortunately for me, that means DirecTV is up after Comcast does it again... ;)

Good luck and happy channel surfing!
I did almost the same thing. I was able to beat the crazy receiver fees by going with a cable card ($2/month). I already had an HTPC, so all I had to do was add a tuner and I was good to go. Now I have a beautiful DVR interface in Windows Media Center for almost nothing. Over all, I'm saving about $25/month for the next 2 years and getting more HD. I'm actually glad Dish dropped AMC because I'm a lot better off now in terms of cost and content. I was perfectly happy with Dish before this and wouldn't have even considered another provider.

Thanks, Charlie!

mdavej said:
I did almost the same thing. I was able to beat the crazy receiver fees by going with a cable card ($2/month). I already had an HTPC, so all I had to do was add a tuner and I was good to go. Now I have a beautiful DVR interface in Windows Media Center for almost nothing. Over all, I'm saving about $25/month for the next 2 years and getting more HD. I'm actually glad Dish dropped AMC because I'm a lot better off now in terms of cost and content. I was perfectly happy with Dish before this and wouldn't have even considered another provider.

Thanks, Charlie!

AMC hasn't been dropped yet. Not saying that it won't, but it hasn't yet.

AMC hasn't been dropped yet. Not saying that it won't, but it hasn't yet.
Good point. If I was contemplating switching, I would wait until July 1. (I'm not going anywhere for a while, though, now that dish added TV Japan HD, and Mad Men is over for now. I will revisit the issue when the next season of Mad Men cranks up.)

But, I'm seeing quite a number of posts of those who have already switched. I imagine there will be many more in July, if AMC is actually dropped.

I do not ever recall seeing this many posts from people who have actually switched providers due to Dish dropping a channel. Threats to do so, yes. But, not actual droppage. I really think that Dish underestimated viewer reaction to this.

I'm switching next weekend (earliest available appointment ). Called today to cancel Dish and let em know part of the reason was they were dropping AMC. Other part was I save money for a while with DTV and when that ends I can always switch back and get the Dish new customer perks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)