DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

You are right, but how many of the Dish homes have more than one potential AMC viewer. So what's the household average. I would say that 14 million viewers being taken off the books for AMC to claim to advertisers is accurate.
So you think the AMC sales staff was going to companies and saying "Hey, we have 50 million (made up number to include Dish' 14M "subscribers") people who can watch us. Buy ads on us.". That makes absolutely no sense. The shopping & religious channels can claim more "possible viewers" than AMC.

So you think the AMC sales staff was going to companies and saying "Hey, we have 50 million (made up number to include Dish' 14M "subscribers") people who can watch us. Buy ads on us.". That makes absolutely no sense. The shopping & religious channels can claim more "possible viewers" than AMC.

Yes, I say that Cablevison is selling the 14 million subs from DISH as Potential AMC viewers and there fore they are asking for more money for their suite of channels as their contracts with different tv providers come up for renewal. The "potential " viewer is being used as a bargaining chip for Cablevison to extort more money from each provider . DISH will take this potential down by 14 million come July 1st ,which will hit Cablevision in their bargaining chip and they will not be able to ask for as much money from other tv providers as their contracts come up for renewal. Especially if DISH takes these channels down and they suffer less than some predict in turnover. Because then other tv providers will copy Charlie's tactics and or threaten to drop or actually drop them too. As this happens , the Cablevision bargaining chip will become less and less valuable because their viewers will drop precipitously, as the number of tv providers stand up to their extortion attempts. Effectively putting Cablevison in the position of accepting LESS money a month for their suite of channels. Forcing the price to go down for AMC ,IFC , We and Sundance channels.

Charlie is standing up to these greedy companies because he knows that the average cable/sat bill will be over $100.00 a month at the rate we are going, and that is before all his DISH fees and now DISH taxes( Tx surcharge for doing business) are added in , which will cause more and more subs to cut the cord. This will eventually endanger the entire cable /satellite model , which will effectively kill the golden goose. People will eventually get their content elsewhere . Charlie is once again seeing the writing on the walls and he is getting in front of it. Disney and Amc are some of the first beach heads he has chosen to fight.

He already has said NO to the ever increasing sports increases on some RSNs. I fully expect him to take this same tactic on the worst offender out there when it comes up for renewal again: ESPN. They already add $5.00 to every top programming pack out there for a channel probably more than half of the subs do NOT watch. Charlie will truly be a revolutionary if he stands up to ESPN and their greedy ways. The company that spins off the sports channels into their own premium pack , will be the company that keep growing and start attracting more subs. Because this will keep the price of basic cable top programming packs down in price. I wish that DISH would do this NOW.:eek:k:

Last edited:
He already has said NO to the ever increasing sports increases on some RSNs. I fully expect him to take this same tactic on the worst offender out there when it comes up for renewal again: ESPN. They already add $5.00 to every top programming pack out there for a channel probably more than half of the subs do NOT watch. Charlie will truly be a revolutionary if he stands up to ESPN and their greedy ways. The company that spins off the sports channels into their own premium pack , will be the company that keep growing and start attracting more subs. Because this will keep the price of basic cable top programming packs down in price. I wish that DISH would do this NOW.:eek:k:
I agree with what you said and your idea but a few will not. They will say its not fare that they have to pay the real full price for the over priced sports!!! Maybe not in those exact words but close.:eek:

All the dolans are doing now is cashing on there cash cow, which is inventively going to come end.

I agree with what you said and your idea but a few will not. They will say its not fare that they have to pay the real full price for the over priced sports!!! Maybe not in those exact words but close.:eek:

All the dolans are doing now is cashing on there cash cow, which is inventively going to come end.

You got it. Dish offered the NY RSN's to be in a separate package, they could charge what they wanted. For the reason you cited, they said no because they know how many would see the cost and say no way. They want it hidden in the package. It is less per person when in the package, but as we know everyone pays. This always brings up "but so are other channels I don't watch." Very different, even AMC is asking pennies to what sports cost. The only way to get a bunch of other channels at a reasonable price is to spread it out in a package where everyone pays. Sports is so high, so out of whack that even spreading it incurs a non linear high cost.

Yes I 'm sure that the sports supporters will say it won't be fair. But this is CHarlie Ergen we are talking about. He sees the writing on the wall and I suspect he will be the first company to spin off sports into premium packs. He knows that if he doesn't, the whole entire structure of the dbs/cable model will become extinct. Even the hopper won't save you if your basic programming is over $100.00 a month, BEFORE the other Taxes and DISH FEES are added in. Either get in front of it and make the change ,or get left behind in the dust. It's coming .

And if you look for articles, he's not alone anymore. Other carriers are looking at the cost of sports. With cost going up so much and the talk of cutting the chord, (though I'm not convinced yet that is threat, but it could become one) very possible when AMC comes up for contract with other carriers it won't be smooth sailing either.

sam_gordon said:

No but I do believe there is an average per household they use. It makes sense to use United States Census info and compare to an estimated Dish subscriber penetration. That makes sense. We're talking money, people will find a way.

Yes I 'm sure that the sports supporters will say it won't be fair. But this is CHarlie Ergen we are talking about. He sees the writing on the wall and I suspect he will be the first company to spin off sports into premium packs. He knows that if he doesn't, the whole entire structure of the dbs/cable model will become extinct. Even the hopper won't save you if your basic programming is over $100.00 a month, BEFORE the other Taxes and DISH FEES are added in. Either get in front of it and make the change ,or get left behind in the dust. It's coming .

+1

You may be right about the cost to DISH,but you seem to forget how stubborn Charlie Ergen is . Look at the distant networks lawsuit and how long it took to resolve and DISH not only lost that one ,but lost the ability to even do distant networks for a few years. OF course he found away to still have distant networks through DISH receivers using Sobongo or what ever they called themselves at the beginning and he still got profits from renting the transponders to them for monthly rent . Look at how many years he fought Tivo and lost again , and again. Look at the DISNEY lawsuit. He refused to pay twice for both sd and hd versions of the same channel and that hasn't changed in a couple of years. Then there is the Voom lawsuit ,which is directly linked to this squabble with Cablevison over AMC. I don't see CHarlie /DISH giving in on this one , any more than he did the other various lawsuits I mentioned above. History is a great predictor of past as well as present behavior. Charlie won't give in on this one . So get used to no more AMC ,We or Ifc, just like the now gone Sundance channel.

Charlie does not want to pay for anything, but has no problem nickel & diming the sub. Fortunately, Charlie does not control the courts. I think he knows the AMC lawsuit is on its last leg. We will know in September.

You are right, but how many of the Dish homes have more than one potential AMC viewer. So what's the household average. I would say that 14 million viewers being taken off the books for AMC to claim to advertisers is accurate.

Dish may have 14 Million subscribers [households], but every person in the house is not counted as a viewer of a particular TV show. Ever have/hear of a Dead Party? I know people who have a dozen of people in their house to watch The Walking Dead. Not all those people are counted There is no way to know they are even there. :)

I wouldn't mind paying a nickel more a month for AMC & IFC if Rainbow would just remove the all the commercials that they added that made watching AMC and IFC unbearable to watch.

You got it. Dish offered the NY RSN's to be in a separate package, they could charge what they wanted. For the reason you cited, they said no because they know how many would see the cost and say no way. They want it hidden in the package. It is less per person when in the package, but as we know everyone pays. This always brings up "but so are other channels I don't watch." Very different, even AMC is asking pennies to what sports cost. The only way to get a bunch of other channels at a reasonable price is to spread it out in a package where everyone pays. Sports is so high, so out of whack that even spreading it incurs a non linear high cost.

Meanwhile, we here in the NYC Metro DMA are paying for regional sports networks like everyone else and getting ZERO RSNs now. YES was never here. SNY was dropped 16 months ago. MSG was dropped two years ago. Fox Sports NY went away years ago when YES popped up and MSG took a bunch of the teams on their own network. To make matters worse, every time a game is on ESPN it gets blacked out. I can't buy mlb.tv because all the local games are blacked out.

I called the CSRs to complain and got a $10 credit for 6 months. When the 6 months ran out they said they would extend it for another 6 months. That was 2 months ago. I think they lied to me.

Sports: gone. HD feeds of ESPN News, Disney: Gone Sundance: Gone AMC Channels: Soon to be gone.

If it weren't for all my archived content, I might be gone as well. Maybe I drop my $160 a month package to the bare minimum on one TV and keep the content that way until I get caught up, and switch to Verizon Fios TV.

After 12 years with E*, they are finally hitting my breaking point....

Yes, I say that Cablevison is selling the 14 million subs from DISH as Potential AMC viewers and there fore they are asking for more money for their suite of channels as their contracts with different tv providers come up for renewal. The "potential " viewer is being used as a bargaining chip for Cablevison to extort more money from each provider...

I don't think AMC's advertising prowess has anything to do with the price they are asking. While all ask for more, DISH asks for less. Its all a part of the negotiation process. And I don't see it as extortion either -- if it is, then DISH's unscrupulous tactics would then say the same about it. Every contract negotiation holds the potential of eating into DISH's profits.

Furthermore, companies with a family of networks, like AMC Networks, are into bundling -- which will eliminate the strong-arming and unscrupulous tactics. Subs wouldn't be losing just one channel anymore. The "bargaining chip" as you call it becomes a double-edged sword. It can help and hurt both the network & the provider -- and at the same time.

Charlie is standing up to these greedy companies because he knows that the average cable/sat bill will be over $100.00 a month at the rate we are going...

It is already over $100/month -- I am paying over $100/month for the AT200 + HBO & Showtime -- the fees, surcharges and taxes count.

DISH.jpg

Ask yourself what your package price and fees would be if DISH did not lose the TiVo or Disney HD lawsuits for example. The reason prices increase isn't necessarily the fault of the networks. Think about it. Don't you think the narcissism that is Charlie Ergen had anything to do with the TiVo patent violation which cost DISH $500 million? There is an ever increasing pattern of unscrupulous and underhanded tactics on the part of DISH that is costing all of us more money.

I like DISH, but as someone else said in another thread. All the "DISH Love" is weird. :)

I wouldn't mind paying a nickel more a month for AMC & IFC if Rainbow would just remove the all the commercials that they added that made watching AMC and IFC unbearable to watch.

There are not more commercials on AMC. AMC ran Pale Rider over the weekend. It has a running time of 116 minutes in a 2.5 hour programming slot -- 34 minutes of commercials. The Shawshank Redemption, on now, has a running time of 142 minutes in a 3 hour programming slot -- 38 minutes of commercials.

A one hour TV program, e.g. The Walking Dead, has a running time of 42 to 45 minutes -- 15-18 minutes of commercials.

TNT will have Sum of All Fears on Friday. It has a running time of 128 minutes in a 2.5 hour programming slot -- 52 minutes of commercials.

SyFy is now airing The Mist. It has a running time of 127 minutes in a 2.5 hour programming slot -- 23 minutes of commercials.

Last edited:
demsd said:
SyFy is now airing The Mist. It has a running time of 127 minutes in a 2.5 hour programming slot -- 23 minutes of commercials.

Since you brought The Mist up (although I saw it on Bluray whenever it came out), I enjoyed the movie until the end. I won't spoil the ending but still worth a watch. I suppose even if on Syfy...

There are not more commercials on AMC. AMC ran Pale Rider over the weekend. It has a running time of 116 minutes in a 2.5 hour programming slot -- 34 minutes of commercials. The Shawshank Redemption, on now, has a running time of 142 minutes in a 3 hour programming slot -- 38 minutes of commercials.

A one hour TV program, e.g. The Walking Dead, has a running time of 42 to 45 minutes -- 15-18 minutes of commercials.

TNT will have Sum of All Fears on Friday. It has a running time of 128 minutes in a 2.5 hour programming slot -- 52 minutes of commercials.

I think levibluewa's point was AMC & IFC used to have 0 commercials during the movies. So ANY commercials means 'more' commercials.

I was upset about this when I first heard it, then I realized I haven't turned on AMC since Walking Dead ended months ago. Not really worried about this.

Side note: yes, the ending of The Mist is effed up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)