DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Dish has already taken this route with their programming packages for commercial accounts. Each package is a collection of channels from a specific content provider, Viacom, Disney, Turner, etc. They don't refer to them by those names, they use A, B, C, etc. But, it is obvious by the channels included in each pack.
I wish that model would be extended to personal accounts. It would be the absolute closest we could ever hope to get to ala carte. Though, Dish already does have a handful of ala-carte-type themed packages in a sense, such as the Superstation package/channels, heartland package, outdoor sports, multi-sport, etc.

My fear is that this "trend" of rising cost by the networks will just continue on. Now, what is Dish going to do? Drop every network anytime it tries to negotiate a price increase? How many times are we to put up with Dish "saving us money" by dropping the network and going to court? Whether these networks are charging to much to begin with, that's the price that was agreed upon in the beginning. So as in any business, when it's time to sign a new contract, it's time to hit for a price increase. If you rent an apartment or house, 99% of the time, at the end of your lease, your rent goes up. Now you can either pay the new price, or move out...You're not going to get anything "extra" in added to your dwelling just because the rent increase.

My point is that Charlie has to start learning how to negotiate, not just drop the network and hope he can win another law suite. His track record on winning doesn't seem to be the greatest.

Ghpr13:(

My fear is that this "trend" of rising cost by the networks will just continue on. Now, what is Dish going to do? Drop every network anytime it tries to negotiate a price increase? How many times are we to put up with Dish "saving us money" by dropping the network and going to court? Whether these networks are charging to much to begin with, that's the price that was agreed upon in the beginning. So as in any business, when it's time to sign a new contract, it's time to hit for a price increase. If you rent an apartment or house, 99% of the time, at the end of your lease, your rent goes up. Now you can either pay the new price, or move out...You're not going to get anything "extra" in added to your dwelling just because the rent increase.

My point is that Charlie has to start learning how to negotiate, not just drop the network and hope he can win another law suite. His track record on winning doesn't seem to be the greatest.

Ghpr13:(

+1

In some ways I disagree, though the overall idea of your post makes sense. By doing it his way I do pay less with Dish. Obviously there's a limit to how much Charlie can drop channels, but affiliate disputes have been resolved. NY RSN's affect a very few subscribers. Disney has gone on too long, but I get the principle of it. But none of that is the main point, I think your post ignores that other carriers are starting to take a much harder stance too. It won't be just Dish. It's very small, but another carrier is dropping AMC. We just don't know that given the same costs that Direct TV won't play hardball too, they certainly have (even at this very time) with affiliates.

I originally went from Comcast to Dish about 8 years ago because Comcast was dropping channels my wife and I enjoyed, plus Dish had a better selection of sports channels.

Now 8 years later it is Dish dropping channels (AMC etc., Disney and ESPN HD channels, loss of all NY RSNs), and their price advantage is gone. It's starting to look like its time to head back to Comcast.

I originally went from Comcast to Dish about 8 years ago because Comcast was dropping channels my wife and I enjoyed, plus Dish had a better selection of sports channels.

Now 8 years later it is Dish dropping channels (AMC etc., Disney and ESPN HD channels, loss of all NY RSNs), and their price advantage is gone. It's starting to look like its time to head back to Comcast.

Try Direct TV you cant go wrong with them :)

Just asking, where is their price advantage gone, also do you live in the NY DMA? If the Pro sports were important to get, I most likely wouldn't get Dish in the NY DMA, or find another way to watch. I too would suggest Direct TV if you are in the NY DMA.

I have refrained from commenting on this debate up to now, because I haven't watched AMC for at least 5 years, maybe 10 even. The reason is that I discovered the Dolans were cutting words, conversations, and even whole scenes out of the movies they showed on AMC, when those scenes didn't agree with their 'moral', i.e. religious, beliefs, and maybe their political beliefs as well, who knows? They actually bragged on the AMC website about doing this. They were proud of it! I don't know how long they had been doing it, but I felt like going back and watching all the movies I had seen on AMC again on some channel that didn't 'edit' its movies. And I never watched AMC again.

I stopped watching AMC when I discovered they were the only movie channel that could cram a 90 minute movie into 4 hours with the extra time taken up by commercials (although USA is running a close second). I think AMC is trying to get Dish customers to change Dish's mind because they will have to lower commercial fees due to less viewership.

Lawsuit doesn't mean squat. Directv has already been hinting the past few weeks that they are going to be taking a harder stance on rising costs and channels may go dark. I don't expect them to pull espn, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a stance with AMC or Scripps. Start with the smaller media groups and send a message to the larger media groups that they have reached the breaking point.
No D-tv making channels go black that doesn't happen according to members.:rolleyes:

Just asking, where is their price advantage gone, also do you live in the NY DMA? If the Pro sports were important to get, I most likely wouldn't get Dish in the NY DMA, or find another way to watch. I too would suggest Direct TV if you are in the NY DMA.

Directv is an option for us in the NY DMAs, however the Cable Companies (Time Warner anyways) knows that Dish is not offering our home team sports; plus we all require high speed internet and for many of us Time Warner is our only option, so when you bundle video with internet, Time Warner has a huge price advantage compared to purchasing Directv and Roadrunner Internet separately. Though I am not a fan of Time Warner's equipment; $30-40 a month price savings adds up to getting 2-3 three months of free service on a yearly plan or at the very least, enough savings to cover the cost of annual subscription of NHL Centerice or MLB Extra Innings.

Directv is an option for us in the NY DMAs, however the Cable Companies (Time Warner anyways) knows that Dish is not offering our home team sports; plus we all require high speed internet and for many of us Time Warner is our only option, so when you bundle video with internet, Time Warner has a huge price advantage compared to purchasing Directv and Roadrunner Internet separately. Though I am not a fan of Time Warner's equipment; $30-40 a month price savings adds up to getting 2-3 three months of free service on a yearly plan or at the very least, enough savings to cover the cost of annual subscription of NHL Centerice or MLB Extra Innings.
Did you try Directv and a Verizon bundle?
DIRECTV Bundles Services - Get TV, Phone, & Internet Bundles

Where I live; Verizon only offers dialup, plus I cut their cord about 5 years ago and went strictly cell. FIOS is only available in certain select areas of Western New York.
Verizon only has 3 mbps service in my area too. And I flat out refuse to ever bundle again.

So I kept my Blue ridge Cable internet from my Cable bundle, Sure it went up $20, but my over all cost per year went down $500 this year, $300 next year, and $150 from there on out from switching to Direct .

Cable I found to many issues,

• One issue I had 3 HD DVR's and a HD receiver, that cost me $50 per month alone in fees.
  • Next issue once your bundled you can't just drop services like HBO, without your Bill going up. Which is BS , a downgrade will cancel and of your promo prices. So I was locked with a $220 bill per month no matter what.
  • If the Cable company or even a nearby area loses its power, (even if You have power) and your cable companys Amps are on the Grid. Guess what No TV , No Phone, and No Internet. Yep that Happend twice in the past year, Cable services were out 5 days once and 7 days the 2nd time. Gimmie a Break:mad:!

At least now, I can still watch tv even if the power is out with my Generator.

remember many people have sat tv because there is no cable/fios/dsl were they live
10 years ago yes, now, More people have Satellite cause its just better.!:)
You do realize that there around 40 Million satellite tv subscribers .
One study a few years back claimed there are less then 100 Million cable/satellite tv subscribers in the USA total! 2 providers making up 40% of the crop. I'd say some of that is choice.

Last edited:
10 years ago yes, now, More people have Satellite cause its just better.!:)
You do realize that there around 40 Million satellite tv subscribers .
One study a few years back claimed there are less then 100 Million cable/satellite tv subscribers in the USA total! 2 providers making up 40% of the crop. I'd say some of that is choice.

true some is by choice
i just know i have no other option

Similar story here. My local cable company now has more HD (they added nearly 30 HD channels this very week, surpassing Dish and DirecTV) and cheaper service (with internet bundle). Granted the DVR isn't as good, but I do have a whole home DVR, and additional boxes are only $5. DVR and HD are free for 2 years. After that, I can buy my own DVR to avoid the fees. My savings is going to be close to $500 over that period compared to staying with Dish, including my small ETF, plus I keep AMC. So Dish's timing couldn't have been better.

If all I cared about was sports, DirecTV would have been an option, but the rest of their HD lineup is so lacking, they're not even on my radar.

I live between NYC and Philly, and used to be able to get some NY sports on MSG and SNY. Now of course I get none, along with no Philly sports, but still pay the same rates as everyone else. At least with Comcast I'd get the Philly sports. The only reason I haven't gone back already is that I really hate Comcast and how they've screwed everyone in this area over Comcast-Philly. :(

And BTW no matter what squabbles Dish is having with AMC, "hiding" the channel to most by moving it up to the 9000s is just stupid and childish. The moment I read that is when I finally decided that it's time to start investigating alternatives to Dish.

Last edited:
And BTW no matter what squabbles Dish is having with AMC, "hiding" the channel to most by moving it up to the 9000s is just stupid and childish. The moment I read that is when I finally decided that it's time to start investigating alternatives to Dish.
I agree completely that Dish is being stupid and childish. Charlie Ergen is a known gambler but he should not be gambling with his customers. It seems that Dish is trying its best to get me to look elsewhere for my TV provider.

I agree completely that Dish is being stupid and childish. Charlie Ergen is a known gambler but he should not be gambling with his customers. It seems that Dish is trying its best to get me to look elsewhere for my TV provider.

Maybe this simple question deserves a whole new thread but I'll ask it here since it's kind of within this topic. Why did Dish move AMC to 9610? I'm just wondering if one of the Dish guys has an opinion. Most everybody else would say spite is the answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)