DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I understand that thinking, until you realize that's $1 or two just for those channels. Can we pay a buck or two more for other channels too? With Direct TV now in another dispute and not carrying channels (Maine - and I'm sure the channels demanded to be dropped, just like with Dish for locals) I'm not 100% sure they will rollover either for what AMC appears to be asking. The economy just can't support escalating prices. I would bet those that really are willing to go to another provider to get AMC would have to think long and hard if there was no new customer incentive.

Last edited:
I sent an angry email to ceo@dishnetwork.com about loosing AMC and also not be able to see a lot of Angles baseball on FSW. Here is the response I just got...
I got the same canned response. What really gets me is how they keep changing their story, as if searching for some excuse AMC fans will accept. First it was low ratings, low quality and iTunes sales, then cost. Now it's the fact they have to take WE and IFC in the package. I don't believe any of those is the real reason. I was gonna wait a bit longer and see how it plays out, but the more I thought about it the madder I got. Needless to say, the cable guy is coming on Friday, so I'll get to keep AMC and gain IFC in HD as well as get all the Disney/ABC Fam channels back in HD. I'll have to put Dish on pause for a few weeks to finish watching everything on my Hopper.

mdavej said:
I'll have to put Dish on pause for a few weeks to finish watching everything on my Hopper.

Another option is the Welcome Pack for $14.99 that has HD locals (and probably that Blockbuster channel and the TEST channel of Velocity HD if you are on the right arc) along with some other SD channels like The Hub, Hallmark, Oxygen, Bloomberg, and Boomerang. Also, some a la carte offerings can be added to it like Outdoor Sports ($3/mo) or Encore Movies ($5/mo; channels 341-346 and 377).

http://www.mydish.com/support/channels/packagewelcomepack.aspx

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/packages/welcome/

AMC and WE were both on the list before the dispute; so, the 9608 and 9609 channels may work.

Last edited:
Good idea. Thanks for the info Mojo. Although I won't need any channels at all, I imagine keeping a kind of lifeline service like the Welcome pack will be easier to deal with than trying to watch a DVR where everything but the recordings have been shut off. I foresee wading through a lot of error screens otherwise.

mdavej said:
Good idea. Thanks for the info Mojo. Although I won't need any channels at all, I imagine keeping a kind of lifeline service like the Welcome pack will be easier to deal with than trying to watch a DVR where everything but the recordings have been shut off. I foresee wading through a lot of error screens otherwise.

Might come in handy for some that may have a cable company that does not offer a channel or some channels in the Welcome Pack or that has a channel or some channels in higher tiers.

The local cable company here does not offer IFC, We, or Sundance Channel. However, it does have AMC. The Encores with them are in the Starz package requiring a digital box, and MoviePlex is not available with them.

Have they fixed the "bug" that prevents you from watching recordings that were made on channels you no longer subscribe to? I remember a number of people complaining about that. I put "bug" in quotes, as this may have been deliberate.

Have they fixed the "bug" that prevents you from watching recordings that were made on channels you no longer subscribe to? I remember a number of people complaining about that. I put "bug" in quotes, as this may have been deliberate.
Hmmm...I don't remember that issue. I subscribe to everything, so I'm not aware of that. I can still watch things I recorded on Monsters HD and other Voom channels. They're on an EHD, FWIW.

120inna55 said:
Hmmm...I don't remember that issue. I subscribe to everything, so I'm not aware of that. I can still watch things I recorded on Monsters HD and other Voom channels. They're on an EHD, FWIW.

Never got to see the Voom channels...However, I remember the infomercials...I think Voom was too ahead of its time...I still cannot understand why Dish would get rid of channels that they had exclusively on satellite...Would have loved Monsters HD!

Never got to see the Voom channels...However, I remember the infomercials...I think Voom was too ahead of its time...I still cannot understand why Dish would get rid of channels that they had exclusively on satellite...Would have loved Monsters HD!

It was a lot of fun. I admit, Monsters HD and Rave HD were probably the only Voom channels I really enjoyed for the content. That was back in the day when anything HD was "awesome" despite the content. It was before my HD LiL's were available. FOX was showing Widescreen SD and calling it HD. Then, soon after, came the HD Lite debacle...

(I still have some Rave HD recordings as well.)

When they drop those channels they won't lower your bill and you WILL be still paying for them and not getting them. Then what?

The only time I watch AMC anymore is at Xmas for the Xmas movies. Other than that I don't watch any of them and its the principle. I am sick and tired of being forced to buy 90 crappy channels just to get 10 decent channels. If they want to package AMC by itself at a reasonable price, so be it, but don't force IFC, We and Sundance into the picture too. If those channels can't get by on their own, then do away with them. That is the stand I think DISH and others need to make.

From your signature, you don't have a Hopper. The problem was with Hoppers not playing EHD programming from a channel no longer subscribed to.

I still have lots of recordings from the Voom days and a few from when HBO is free (I don't sub to HBO) and they all still work.

From your signature, you don't have a Hopper. The problem was with Hoppers not playing EHD programming from a channel no longer subscribed to.

Doh! I was referring to the Hopper. I forgot to mention that. Sorry.

The only time I watch AMC anymore is at Xmas for the Xmas movies. Other than that I don't watch any of them and its the principle. I am sick and tired of being forced to buy 90 crappy channels just to get 10 decent channels. If they want to package AMC by itself at a reasonable price, so be it, but don't force IFC, We and Sundance into the picture too. If those channels can't get by on their own, then do away with them. That is the stand I think DISH and others need to make.
IFC and Sundance used to be great channels back in the day, albeit SD. Other than PQ, are they no longer good for indie, art, and foreign films? (I don't watch them because there are so many HD choices.) Perhaps if they combined them into a single art house channel, in HD of course, it would provide better value packaged with AMC.

I don't see WE providing much value, though, with Lifetime, LMN, Oxygen, and OWN, all in HD. My wife doesn't even watch any of those so-called women's channels. So, I'm not sure they need five of them. (Plus, all of the women's programming on Bravo and the plethora of reality crap that mostly cater to women available ad nauseum on all channels.)

IFC and Sundance used to be great channels back in the day, albeit SD. Other than PQ, are they no longer good for indie, art, and foreign films? (I don't watch them because there are so many HD choices.) Perhaps if they combined them into a single art house channel, in HD of course, it would provide better value packaged with AMC.

I don't see WE providing much value, though, with Lifetime, LMN, Oxygen, and OWN, all in HD. My wife doesn't even watch any of those so-called women's channels. So, I'm not sure they need five of them. (Plus, all of the women's programming on Bravo and the plethora of reality crap that mostly cater to women available ad nauseum on all channels.)

+1

Agreed.

Shoot. I may be screwed then. It's been really hit or miss. I can still watch stuff I recorded from recent HBO previews, but not other things. Pause might not be an option.

I got an e-mail yesterday from AMC's Walking Dead mailing list informing me that Dish is going to drop AMC in July and if I don't want to miss Walking Dead Season 3 that I should let Dish know. Not looking good, huh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)