Dish DUO receivers

H2Guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
Santa Fe
I have a Dish 922, TV 1 port is HDMI, TV2 runs off of Channel 60 on a coax connection. Obviously TV1 on HDMI has a great picture, but not so much with TV2, any suggestions on how to get a better picture on TV2 using the 922?

any suggestions on how to get a better picture on TV2 using the 922?
I had a 722 and the composite out may have been DVD quality only, but it was pretty decent IMHO. Did the 922 have such outputs too? I was always spitting venom over the lack of anamorphic output on TV2, so that may be a show stopper.

Reactions: charlesrshell
On any VIP dual receiver (Including the 722/922) the best picture for the TV2 output is going to be composite, and even then its only marginally better then the modulated coax output. One idea would be to use a HDMI splitter or a component cable on the TV1 output and run that to the second TV, but you would have to set the 922 to single mode and be limited to having the same programing on both TVs be the same.

After my first Dish receiver (a 4100?), all of them had pretty crappy modulated outputs with so much noise, they were unwatchable. Perhaps I had a string of bad receivers?
Typically that's something in the cabling/connections or modulating on the wrong option, Air vs Cable

Reactions: charlesrshell
Typically that's something in the cabling/connections or modulating on the wrong option, Air vs Cable
Well... I took out the 4900 and put in a 301 and with the same house cabling it was crappy. Now I didn't actually test other cabling with my 625 in my new house, so that could well have been the issue.

Somewhere I have an interesting modulator that had composite inputs and an RF output transmitter OTA. Perhaps that would have worked better.

Last edited:
I can't use the composite video connection into the smart TV as all it has is HDMI inputs (and a coax tuner connection). I have tried a composite to HDMI converter with mixed results and actually feel the coaxial input provide a better picture. As far as the 922 is concerned DISH (unofficially) still supports it and when it comes down to loosing a customer (who does not want the new stuff) or offering service on the 922 platform guess what wins, MONEY. Honestly I don't Dish can continue to be on the down trend of losing
customers. The streaming world is really taking off, the only thing Dish can offer is convenience and simplicity of a single platform. Someone did tell me once that you can replace a DUO tuner with 2 211k's or 2 wally's for the same monthly rates. Don't know about that for sure though?

I have tried a composite to HDMI converter with mixed results and actually feel the coaxial input provide a better picture.
Composite to HDMI is a really bad idea, not only because of the media conversion from analog to digital but also because composite is limited to 480i, unless you have a high quality upscaler to make the change to 720p/1080p or god forbid, 4K, it’s going to look horrible. Component works a lot better, it’s still analog but can display up to 1080p, meaning you don’t need an upscale the majority of the time (and 1080p to 4K upscaling is not to hard to accomplish). Remember Composite is Yellow-Red-White and component Red-Green-Blue-Red-White.