DISH Enters Deal with ROKU

When I read the headline I thought "Cool. Dish will have an Channel on the Roku that will allow you to play content from your Sling Adapter on your Roku." A similar feature was announced at last year's CES with Google TV and it never materialized (in typical Dish fashion) so I should have known better.

I went down the AppleTV path for my Internet TV experience and discovered that my ISP is not ready for ITV. So, I'm using Dish for live TV programming and the AppleTV for prerecorded playback. I just had to learn to be patient while the buffer fills up...

I am not overreacting, I for one am just concerned given their history with taking over companies in the past as I mentioned in a previous post. pocketdish, sling, blockbuster, does not build confidence.

I agree with you, though the pocketdish was a product of Archos, and Archos is still alive and kicking independently of Dish. Also, among prematurely abandoned products, you forgot to mention the DTVpal DVR. I sure wish I could have nabbed one of those on Sears closeout.

I agree with you, though the pocketdish was a product of Archos, and Archos is still alive and kicking independently of Dish. Also, among prematurely abandoned products, you forgot to mention the DTVpal DVR. I sure wish I could have nabbed one of those on Sears closeout.

I had one and it worked great till about 3 months ago and the hard drive died. Now I have to use a 211k with external hard drive to be able to record one ota and one sat channel. So I went from NO monthly fee to $16.50 a month with the 211k. Can't even find a dtv pal plus dvr anymore. The worst thing was we just got guide data for Metv on the dtv pal plus dvr and then a week later the whole receiver craps out.

I think everyone is over reacting. I have used Roku since it started up. They were stepping in Dish's toes. This clarifies that the consumer go to Dish first and Roku second.
Every once in awhile the neighborhood needs shaking up.....No big plot here..................

Regarding the PAL DVR, you know you can replace the internal drive... The biggest problem is getting the case apart.

What is with the complaining about Blockbuster? Their business model led to bankruptcy.

Dish is not buying Roku... that company is just fine. All this does is consolidates International offerings on the Roku. Something that was needed after the DISHWorld deal because it duplicated some content that was being offered by other channel apps already.

(And can't you get the DTVPal DVR from Channel Master now?)

No, it unfortunately does much more. So what if there was duplication?

Last edited:
I just have a gut feeling that this deal between Dish and Roku will lead to more.Dish may not buy Roku but,I firmly believe they will have a bigger influence,not with just the foreign aspect either.

What is with the complaining about Blockbuster? Their business model led to bankruptcy.

I was just about to post the same thing as I was getting caught up on this thread. They bought the assets in bankruptcy. They were already screwed up. If you want to blame Dish for not turning it around that is one thing but even that is a stretch given what a long shot that was. The fact that their library is around today (regradless of what one might think of it) in any way, shape or form is quite surprising given where it was prior to the Dish deal.

Mainly forces people to pay for content that was offered free. With HBO in the 80s on C-Band HBO set the price to make profit. Some of these channels are broadcast networks in their countries. I really don't like knowing these channels had no official gripe being streamed, but now dish seems to think they have the right to charge.

Regarding the PAL DVR, you know you can replace the internal drive... The biggest problem is getting the case apart.

I know I had hell trying to get the case apart and by that time it was not worth keeping. As for Channel Master , they don't make them anymore.

IF that happens I expect all free content and access will go bye bye, making the roku the internet way of getting DISH . I can see them providing their entire service over the internet using roku. But then again this may be the way DISH finally achieves ala-carte.

Yep! Ergan had already said publicly that he is trying to put together a new TV service via internet. but at lower rates than traditional MVPD. In such a service, Charles would NOT be interested in sports channels or other costly but barely watched channels, and he may be able to provide a la carte. His quote was, "If I were to build Dish Network today, I would not be investing in satellites." Ergan often cites his teen-age children and how they show him all the content they get on the internet--not his Dish--and keep telling him he is in the wrong business.

Of course, there will be competition as Apple TV is trying among others. We shall have to see.

Umm, these small companies like Roku didn't get started to just stay small companies. They got in the business (despite what ever populist sounding "we're doing this because we care and want people to have the freedom of access . . ." spiel to seem less greedy) to make money, LOTS of money. Dreaming of Murdoch and News Corp money. Dreaming of Uncle Walt and Disney money. So, yeah, expect more of such deals because they put a lot of money in the company coffers, and investor's. Like, none of you would want a bigger check or value because of the DishWorld deal. These guys are doing backflips over this deal, and they hope more will be made. Finally, they are thinking Roku is finally on the road they've been dreaming of for years. Everything in business is often about exclusive deals designed to make the most money. This is just free market capitalism as usual. You don't really think Roku gives a tail's behind about anything else. Now they are no longer so desperate to take whatever junk developers create. Being that they are in so many homes, I'm certain Roku is doing it's best to get some MORE exclusive deals pointing to the DishWorld as an example.

Yup expect to see Euronews and others go away. :(

Yup, Aug 15, 2012. Got letter from dish stating that I will be losing Euronews and to get it back I have to sub to a new international pack.

Now I see Roku is available in Canada now, and Dish is not available in Canada, so will Canadian Roku's still work for International channels?.
or is Bell going to pull a Charlie on that as well.?

Oh and what's next Roku? , going to stop Crackle, Flixtster,Netflix and Hulu+ just so BB will be the only movie content!
Think I'll sell my Roku and maybe switch to Directv while i'm at it.

yaz96 said:
Always the one with an excuse for Dish, and whine about the "whiners".

Sorry, but this is a smart move by Dish. This isn't a case where Dish is screwing their own customers. They saw an opportunity to diversify their revenue stream and pursued it. That's what companies do.

Roku owners can bitch about it, but they should direct their complaints at Roku for taking the deal and altering the channels landscape. Dish had no obligation to the current Roku owners besides the ones that sub to the content they offer through Roku.

Less choice is bad for consumers, but this isn't a case where being up in arms against Dish is justified. This is no different than Direct paying the NFL for exclusivity to Sunday ticket. Prevents others from competing with them on that front and gives them a huge advantage with a certain demographic of consumers. Direct doing that was viewed as a savvy business move; but inexplicably, Dish doing something similar is downright evil?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)