DISH Enters Deal with ROKU

Dish has been working like crazy to diversify their services, and explore new avenues of distribution. Whereas DirecTV has all their eggs in one basket. At least Dish is trying to insulate themselves from the inevitable move from the current model of distribution. Unless DirecTV starts doing the same, they're going to find themselves in a lot of trouble as people start leaving the traditional cable/satellite giant expensive programming package model.

This is no different than Direct paying the NFL for exclusivity to Sunday ticket. Prevents others from competing with them on that front and gives them a huge advantage with a certain demographic of consumers. Direct doing that was viewed as a savvy business move; but inexplicably, Dish doing something similar is downright evil?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Way to change the subject.

In that case it's the NFL that's the bad guys, only allowing one outlet to air it's games and not allowing other providers to show that content.

Sound familiar?

And in no way shape or form is Roku not the main culprit here, they are by far.

My point above is that "some people" do not like it when "anyone" has any type of complaint about Dish.

Like it shouldn't be allowed just because they cozy up with their picture of Charlie every night with dreams of Hopper commercials in their heads. All is good in their little corner of the world, so should it be everywhere.

Last edited:
A little of subject but while there are people who like to watch tv on the go, with iPads and there computer, sling does come in handy for me I don't think in the future the family will be real crazy about all gathering up to watch a movie around the iPad. Hopefully for a while the traditional tv will still have a bit of a role when we do choose to watch tv shows.

Well so much for holding out hope for a good Chinese channel for the in-laws.. Actually there is one, but it has a small monthly fee. Still, I hate when they limit consumer choice. All I know is that if they touch Pub-D-Hub you will see a scene like this outside Dish HQ:

simpsons-angry-mob.jpg

I agree with you, though the pocketdish was a product of Archos, and Archos is still alive and kicking independently of Dish. Also, among prematurely abandoned products, you forgot to mention the DTVpal DVR. I sure wish I could have nabbed one of those on Sears closeout.

You can still get the Pal DVR, except it's now a Channel Master Product - see the picture of the DISH-like remote in the ad:

HDTV Antenna compatible DVR record Digital TV and HDTV with a HD digital recorder CM-7000PAL DVR by Channel Master. This is the best hd dvr on the market and is a subscription free DVR

If you click on Add to Cart, it says "Out of stock". The Dish model has been replaced with the CM-7400, about which I know nothing other than it's even MORE expensive.

If you click on Add to Cart, it says "Out of stock". The Dish model has been replaced with the CM-7400, about which I know nothing other than it's even MORE expensive.

Exactly what I found out when I google searched Channel Master website. The more expensive box is a ota/ ip hybrid. It does the same thing as the DISH dtv pal plus dvr and it combines it with internet vod from Vudu, but at a more expensive $400.00 range. I'll pass. I only wanted ota box and I'm not prepared to pay in that range , when you consider I only paid $259.00 for the dtv pal plus in the first place.

as are the Dish worshipers and their beloved Dish can do no wrong....

Because people jump to blame Dish, virtually for anything that befalls mankind. Anything that happens becomes a chance to post how awful Dish is and has been. Dish bought a bankrupt company, but Dish somehow screwed it up. Dish bought Sling. There was a product that was slated to come out that didn't, but Slingbox has continued to work perfectly under Dish, and still free to use. Their online sucks, want to post about that I will join in and have. Some want Dish to be like Direct TV or Cable, it isn't. They take chances and admitadly have a "Dish" way of doing things sometimes.
I stated right from the beginning this stinks. But instead of first blaming Dish, I looked around, found forums about Roku, linked to one, and found there may be a little more to the story. This was going to happen at sometime with Roku. Streams that appear to not be authorized in the U.S. were being made available. Even the business model of only charging for hardware had to have an ending point. Roku probably was waiting for an opportunity to do business with a large company, and at the same time get their international programming under control, and Dish fits the bill. For all we know they wanted to sell the company to Dish. As a consumer I am not at all happy if I lose international programming, especially free. But I can see where this had to happen in one form or another and it may not be so simple as big bad Dish stomping on consumers. Maybe they are actually preserving getting international programming through Roku intended or not. Dish didn't demand anything, Roku wanted it.
So yes, some of you just jump to ridicule Dish at every turn, while they deserve it sometimes, very often they don't. I have had reliable TV since near their opening for sales, with lots of choices and overall some of the better equipment. (Lets forget the Dishplayer) I have just about as much HD as any carrier does. PQ if very good. If that's the definition of a horrible company, then they are the worst.

Last edited:
I know I come off as a Dish fanboy because I enjoy their service and sell it but I try not to play favorite. I do not bad mouth other companies and say dish is the best. I just try to help clarify the choices Dish makes. I also don't see how I'm whining? I'm just trying to make a point that people try to blame a company for being greedy because you no longer get what you want. This is not just a Dish thing, this is a business thing. A businees needs to make smart choices to make themselves more profitable and relevent in the future.

I'm not saying this to defend Dish, I'm saying it to help make sense of the decisions companies make. Dish and Roku both made a choice to benefit their companies and I see no problem with it. I just think people are upset on here because you no longer are getting what you want.

Funny you guys mentioned the DTV Pal DVR, I just gave mine to one of my employees this morning.

yaz96 said:
Way to change the subject.

In that case it's the NFL that's the bad guys, only allowing one outlet to air it's games and not allowing other providers to show that content.

Sound familiar?

And in no way shape or form is Roku not the main culprit here, they are by far.

My point above is that "some people" do not like it when "anyone" has any type of complaint about Dish.

Like it shouldn't be allowed just because they cozy up with their picture of Charlie every night with dreams of Hopper commercials in their heads. All is good in their little corner of the world, so should it be everywhere.

I wasn't changing the subject. I was providing a very similar scenario not involving Dish where the company in a position similar to Dish's is praised for the smart business move. That's a far cry from some of the crucifixion that Dish is getting here.

I wasn't changing the subject. I was providing a very similar scenario not involving Dish where the company in a position similar to Dish's is praised for the smart business move. That's a far cry from some of the crucifixion that Dish is getting here.

Now THAT is some hyperbole and a load of crap too.

So if Dish prevents any of the free International feeds from continuing (BBC World News, etc), are there any other boxes like Roku I can get to still receive the channels? I don't want the giant backyard Sat Dish option or watching on my computer, I like the Roku setup with my big screen TV. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)