Dish ever going to bring back the Rotten Tomatoes reviews?

I never saw them leave Gracenote, although I could be getting the two backwards. For the life of me, I can’t remember the other name from Gracenote and Google is not my friend right now.

There we go. That was the switch I was looking for. I forgot Gracenote was named some TV I got else previously.

Rovi has been consistently getting the episode numbers wrong for some of the CW shows that I watch. For example, both Batwoman and The Flash have 18-episode seasons this year. For Batwoman, the season finale was labeled as S2 E17, and it looks like the same thing is going to happen to season 7 of The Flash. The episode numbers were also off by one for several episodes leading up the season finales for both of these series. So, somewhere along the way, the proper episode number for one of the episodes was missing, and then the numbering continued (incorrectly) from where it had left off with the next episode. This makes it a pain if you are trying to go back and look for a specific episode. However, this is just one minor gripe with the new guide data provider, and the same type of thing would often happen with the old provider (Gracenote) even back when they were still called Tribune.

Anyway, that guide data switch happened way back in 2017, and the Rotten Tomatoes issue (getting back to the topic of this thread) was much more recent than that. I am thinking it was within the last year or so that the Reviews section stopped working. It was definitely still there in late 2019 when I was still doing software Beta testing.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Rovi has been consistently getting the episode numbers wrong for some of the CW shows that I watch. For example, both Batwoman and The Flash have 18-episode seasons this year. For Batwoman, the season finale was labeled as S2 E17, and it looks like the same thing is going to happen to season 7 of The Flash. The episode numbers were also off by one for several episodes leading up the season finales for both of these series. So, somewhere along the way, the proper episode number for one of the episodes was missing, and then the numbering continued (incorrectly) from where it had left off with the next episode. This makes it a pain if you are trying to go back and look for a specific episode. However, this is just one minor gripe with the new guide data provider, and the same type of thing would often happen with the old provider (Gracenote) even back when they were still called Tribune.

Anyway, that guide data switch happened way back in 2017, and the Rotten Tomatoes issue (getting back to the topic of this thread) was much more recent than that. I am thinking it was within the last year or so that the Reviews section stopped working. It was definitely still there in late 2019 when I was still doing software Beta testing.
Well at least if you miss an episode you can go to their website to see it.

Oh, you you're the one person who is watching Batwoman. lol

On topic, I don't know what Gracenote is, but I'd really like see the reviews come back.
Gracenote is the largest guide provider out there. You know the radio information on your car radio(for example)…. Gracenote provides that. There are a small handful of companies, mainly two, that provide guide data to providers in the US. Dish had, but no longer has Gracenote.

Forgive me, but for clarity and accuracy: The Rovi name and brand was retired years ago, fairly soon after TiVo was bought by that IP company (whose kooky name I forget). All the hardware and EPG data business was placed under the TiVo name and brand and ending the existence of the Rovi brand, while the IP side of the business is still under that original kooky name that I forget :). This has been the case for a number of years. If it is any consolation, TiVo DVR's suffer from the same awful EPG data that we as subscribers also have to suffer. :).

No, I doubt Dish will ever get any of the lost features to the data on programming such as reviews and much data on helping parents understand the movie and if it is appropriate for their kids to watch--a very well done and useful amount of information--because it most likely costs extra MONEY as an "enhanced" data.

Forgive me, but for clarity and accuracy: The Rovi name and brand was retired years ago, fairly soon after TiVo was bought by that IP company (whose kooky name I forget). All the hardware and EPG data business was placed under the TiVo name and brand and ending the existence of the Rovi brand, while the IP side of the business is still under that original kooky name that I forget :). This has been the case for a number of years. If it is any consolation, TiVo DVR's suffer from the same awful EPG data that we as subscribers also have to suffer. :).

No, I doubt Dish will ever get any of the lost features to the data on programming such as reviews and much data on helping parents understand the movie and if it is appropriate for their kids to watch--a very well done and useful amount of information--because it most likely costs extra MONEY as an "enhanced" data.
Yes yes, we all know the story that TiVo/Rovi/Macrovision only bought the name to sh*t on it. It's on Wikipedia, you know. They want us to forget who they are. Ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)