Dish Expands High Definition Package

DNiermeyer

Retailer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 27, 2003
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH - News) announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV) package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available May 1, 2005. With the addition of these originals to its current slate of HD programming, DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV.

The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD. These networks will give viewers a high-def experience in such entertainment categories as science fiction, fashion, travel, music concerts and more.

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching experience."

Sticky: Dish Expands High Definition Package

DISH Network Expands High-Definition Package with Addition of VOOM Programming
Friday April 29, 8:07 am ET
Lineup Will Include 10 Original VOOM HD Channels

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH - News) announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV) package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available May 1, 2005. With the addition of these originals to its current slate of HD programming, DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV.
The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD. These networks will give viewers a high-def experience in such entertainment categories as science fiction, fashion, travel, music concerts and more.

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching experience."

Customers can sign a one-year agreement and receive six free months of HD programming with high-definition receivers in up to two rooms at no charge. For a limited time, those who sign up can also receive more than 180 standard definition channels for only $19.99 a month for the first three months, plus a free DVR upgrade, with next-day installation.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com , call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), or contact your local DISH Network retailer. For downloadable, print quality images of DISH Network equipment, installations or the DISH Network logo, visit www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/presskit/print/index.shtml .

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH - News) serves more than 11 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. DISH Network ranks No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction among Cable/Satellite TV Subscribers by J.D. Power and Associates. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EchoStar Communications Corporation
Mark Cicero, 720-514-5065
mark.cicero@echostar.com

So, I guess Charlie considers these channels "compelling content" but not Starz-HD, and others?

Huzzah!

I'm glad I'm having cable installed this morning. They should be here within the next two hours. This can be a hold-over until I can get Dish installed.

I'm sorry that some of my favorites (FilmFest, WorldCinema) are not included, but I presume this has to do with rights to the films. Perhaps some will be included in "Majestic HD" or we'll see an IFC-HD channel in the future (after all, doesn't Rainbow/CVC own IFC?).

I will get myself a 942, and whatever dish I need. I'm sure I'll find that with an HD-DVR I'll have plenty to watch.

Someone said that one of the channels they were demoing in MPeg4 was Starz HD, so maybe there is hope for some of the others too (UHD anyone?).

CDH.

WoooHoooo...at least it is something new! Now to find out what the channels are...

npep said:
WoooHoooo...at least it is something new! Now to find out what the channels are...

Well, the press release says:

"The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD."

That is 10.

CDH.

I would assume that they will still be coming from the 61.5 slot. Dish does not have capacity to add these at another slot (at this time).

called E*

I called a csr at E* . They did not know of the announcement. After I quoted some parts of it I was put on hold. When he returned all he could tell me was I did not need any additional equipment. I asked him if voom would come off of 61.5. He did not know. I have both dishes (61.5 and superdish) and should be good to go !!! :yes

CDH--
I meant what is on the new channels? I am not familiar with voom line up and I am not sure what each of the channels provide.
Any one have a break down of each channel?

CDH said:
Well, the press release says:

"The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD."

That is 10.

CDH.

npep said:
CDH--
I meant what is on the new channels? I am not familiar with voom line up and I am not sure what each of the channels provide.
Any one have a break down of each channel?

Sorry, my mistake.

RUSH HD - extreme sports
Gallery HD - Art, sometimes classical music
Rave HD - Concerts (rock, pop, jazz)
Ultra HD - fashion
Equator HD - travel
Monsters HD - monster movies
Animania HD - cartoons
Majestic HD - other movies
HD News - 24 hour news service
Guy TV HD - movies (sometimes Westerns, etc)

I'm absolutely floored that HD News is on the list. I'm all for news, but running a news operation is a very expensive proposition. They can't compete with the budgets of CNN, MSNBC, FNC or the networks (my only thought is they'll go after a CBS deal -- CBS news doesn't have a 24-hour news service has has reportedly been considering a deal with CNN).

CDH.

Thanks...now anyone really want to rate these channels? Are they any good? Just filler? Worth watching at all?

CDH said:
Sorry, my mistake.

RUSH HD - extreme sports
Gallery HD - Art, sometimes classical music
Rave HD - Concerts (rock, pop, jazz)
Ultra HD - fashion
Equator HD - travel
Monsters HD - monster movies
Animania HD - cartoons
Majestic HD - other movies
HD News - 24 hour news service
Guy TV HD - movies (sometimes Westerns, etc)

I'm absolutely floored that HD News is on the list. I'm all for news, but running a news operation is a very expensive proposition. They can't compete with the budgets of CNN, MSNBC, FNC or the networks (my only thought is they'll go after a CBS deal -- CBS news doesn't have a 24-hour news service has has reportedly been considering a deal with CNN).

CDH.

We need JohnH to come over from dbstalk and give us an idea of uploaded programming changes... I'm sure they have started that process if the channels are going to start on May 1st.

Its been said in the past that 148 has more than enough capacity to support these channels (in addition to what Scott already said that they would be available at 61.5, presumably off of R-1 - I guess?)...