Dish Expands High Definition Package

Thanks Scott for the confirmation of your Pub reports earlier this week. I can't believe everyone held the story until it was officially released today. Fo once a rumor has substance. Probably because of it's source, you. Good job and keep it up.

As for the story itself, I suppose the Voom 10 could be a final collection right now, because for those who don't know VOOM, those 21 channels had lots of repeats through out the month. By effectively, adding more shows/movies to the rotation, 10 could easily carry all the programming of the 21. May need to broaden the genre a bit but it is a much more efficient use of the bandwidth.

The original move, putting all 10 on 61.5 would be a simple matter but the encryption would need to be switched so our receivers would open those channels up in E* equipment. Some self appointed experts have concluded how much bandwidth E* has and are making claims. What these "experts" always forget is that the real experts, E* engineers have their own tricks and often can move channels around that are not requiring 110 or 119. At this point, we all should wait for the next announcements from people who know what they're talking about before jumping to conclusions on who has what bandwidth. Frankly, all I need to do to get 61.5 on E* again is connect the feeds from that dish which has been on VOOM back to the switch and force the rescan on the 921. I suspect that since E* recently had used 61.5 for HD that many still have their 61.5 dishes still present, besides CBS is still up for those few who got that. Anyway, while I am disapointed at losing VOOM and the major channels I liked to watch, I'm happy E* saw the light and made a liar out of Charlie on Charlie Chats again. The last time he made claims of "no more HDTV until..." we got Discovery HD 3 days later! :D.
One more thing, Those who are still on the MPEG4 bandwagon, sit back and just watch, Put your MPEG4 kick away until you begin to see MPEG4 receivers being distributed on a mass level by E* before you post about it again. There will be no programming put up on MPEG4 until they have the receivers in place. Not even when the receivers are first announced will the programming change so sit tight and wait. If that is what you need to get in with E* (or D*) then I suppose you will be on the outside looking in for quite awhile. Enjoy!

This is really great news! Even though I am jumping in joy a bit late, let me say this again, thanks Scott and satelliteguys for the rumor ;) which became a reality for a change! U guys rock. :)

Well one thing is for sure they will be putting the new 10 channel line up where most Customers will be able to view it. Main thing is if your a HD subscriber then thats all you should need to be for now. In the future yes you will need new receivers so on. But for now that is not a issue and again keep up all the great work Scott and the rest of the crew.

rustolemite said:
still No NBC, ABC, FOX in HD though ... like D*

That's a lot harder problem to solve. Adding national channels is a much more intelligent use of limited resources at this time.

Well,
Thanks God the boxes to return my Dish stuff did not arrive. I guess I will be busy this evening puting the dish back up and integrating Dish back in with Cable. I am now going to have more HD than I have ever had, at a hefty monthly price though, and my wife is going to love me :eek: .

Wayne

Well we will all konw by Sunday so we will see. Either they will make allot of folks happy or they will have not really done anything for their HD Subscribers. Does no good if folks cant view it but we will see.

Poke said:
Well we will all konw by Sunday so we will see. Either they will make allot of folks happy or they will have not really done anything for their HD Subscribers. Does no good if folks cant view it but we will see.

Well, it could do good for some 40,000 Voom subscribers who already have a 61.5 dish trying to decide what they are going to do for service...

New Promotion for $19.99 NOT available EVERYWHERE!

Scott Greczkowski said:
DISH Network Expands High-Definition Package with Addition of VOOM Programming
Friday April 29, 8:07 am ET
Lineup Will Include 10 Original VOOM HD Channels

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH - News) announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV) package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available May 1, 2005. With the addition of these originals to its current slate of HD programming, DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV.
The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD. These networks will give viewers a high-def experience in such entertainment categories as science fiction, fashion, travel, music concerts and more.

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching experience."

Customers can sign a one-year agreement and receive six free months of HD programming with high-definition receivers in up to two rooms at no charge. For a limited time, those who sign up can also receive more than 180 standard definition channels for only $19.99 a month for the first three months, plus a free DVR upgrade, with next-day installation.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com , call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), or contact your local DISH Network retailer. For downloadable, print quality images of DISH Network equipment, installations or the DISH Network logo, visit www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/presskit/print/index.shtml .

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH - News) serves more than 11 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. DISH Network ranks No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction among Cable/Satellite TV Subscribers by J.D. Power and Associates. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EchoStar Communications Corporation
Mark Cicero, 720-514-5065
mark.cicero@echostar.com

I immediately called the 800 333 3474 number and rep said, NO, the $19.99 offer is ONLY for NEW YORK! BUMMER--please revise the forum post to reflect that before we all call and find out this was all a dream!

I just read a report on the Tv Predictions website that Dish would be adding the 10 Voom hd channels and they would carry all 21 by 2006. I guess when the mpeg4 transition is over with. So we will get all 21 Voom hd channels by next year. My question is what sat dish are they going to put them on? I don't have a second dish but I could buy a new lnb and switch if I had to. I already have a second Dish 500 dish.

I've made several calls to E* and the CSRs don't know anything about this announcement. I tell them it's on their corporate website and they just say there is nothing they can do until their system gets updated with the new offers...

I guess i may be missing something or I've read to quickly over this thread, but will these channels be included with the current HD package at no extra charge?

I currently have Dish 500 and from a previous post it looks like I won't need anything else.

I called Dish's CS and got a CSR who was more automated then helpful. It sounded like that the new channels would be included with the current HD package, but she wasn't sure and didn't have info on pricing.

Paul

This is great news thanks for the updates Scott. I was just about the pull the plug on Dish, may still do so but this keeps me interested. Big missing item for me is a low cost HD DVR package. Like $10/month, or < $300 let's say for existing customers, AND the concerns about MPEG4 upgradeability/replacement plans. I wish they would say something about that.

While this is encouraging news. My HOA won't allow a second dish, so if it's at 61.5 I'm screwed until they move all programming to the new single uber dish at 129 or they squeeze a few channels in on 119/110 which probably won't happen :no

Patience pays off. I am glad I waited and gave Dish a chance before dumping them.

Maybe Charlie has been correct in that they have big things planned. 10 new channels basically triples what they currently have, 5 to 15! Way to go Charlie!

Compelling or not I am pumped!

Has anyone inquired as to the cost of having a dish installed @ 61.5? I haven't had time to call and sit on hold yet.

DWS44 said:
Has anyone inquired as to the cost of having a dish installed @ 61.5? I haven't had time to call and sit on hold yet.

It should be free if you have locals on that wing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts