Dish Expands High Definition Package

danielle_s said:
Majestic is more of the OLD movies, mostly in b&w
For about a week now, Majestic has shown nothing but Fiddler On The Roof. Maybe they'll be changing the name to "FiddlerontheroofHD"? :D

They gotta quit doing that crap....

I mean, Fiddler on The Roof is a classic, but a person can only take so many songs being repeated over and over and over again. Sounds like a bad case of Groundhog Day. If that channel is ever going to survive in the programming line-up, they need to do less repeats and more variety. People get tired of seeing the same old thing over and over again. I'm not trying to complain about the issue, I'm just stating that the programming should use less repeats or otherwise people will quit the programming and not pay the extra fee for receiving them through Dish or any other future carrier. The more people they reach and will pay for the programming, the more the ball keeps rolling and service keeps going.

TheTimm said:
For about a week now, Majestic has shown nothing but Fiddler On The Roof. Maybe they'll be changing the name to "FiddlerontheroofHD"? :D
Is that the only movie they showed for the week? Does it play on a loop? If that be the case, a person would have to be extremely OCD to desire such programming.

Poke says this:

LOL! Well Im going to waite now Dish is saying you half to pay 100 bucks for a second dish which is stupid. Due to in the future you will not need one once things get on MPEG4 so waste if money and regulations say that Satellite Companys should only need one dish for their Customers. Which is true with the new MPEG4 in the future there is no need for them to do this. But for now I guess they half to do it this way which is stupid since most HD subscribers might half to for a extra dish. Oh one more thing I was told that the Voom HD pack was going to cost a extra $14 so I dont know about the $5 bucks. Either way rates have already gone up once and in the future everyone will or is going to halfto shell money for MPEG4 Receiver so I dont know will half to waite and see. Seems like folks are going to half to shell out more money in the near future.

Besides the spelling and grammatical errors which are numerous you don't even understand the law.

All the law says is that your local channels must be serviced from one dish. The law does not mandate that your satellite provider must deliver all channels they provide from one dish. Your satellite provider could give you service from any number of dishes (not practical but perfectly legal) so long as all your locals are served by one of those dishes by the deadline.

You don't want to pay for the extra dish to get the extra channels? That's fine, and it's certainly your choice. You can wait out the MPEG-4 solution which is some months away. At least August based on the targeted release date of the first MPEG-4 receiver (the 411), perhaps even later depending on when the first MPEG-4 content begins to appear.

Based on Dish's track record for hitting release dates for receivers it could be even later for the 411.

Cheers,

boy921 said:
Is that the only movie they showed for the week? Does it play on a loop? If that be the case, a person would have to be extremely OCD to desire such programming.
Yes. Yes. Agreed.
I'd go into more detail, but they're still showing it for another thirteen hours or so and I don't wanna miss a single second!
:music ...if I were a rich man...deedle deedle dee... :music
:what

TheTimm said:
Yes. Yes. Agreed.
I'd go into more detail, but they're still showing it for another thirteen hours or so and I don't wanna miss a single second!
:music ...if I were a rich man...deedle deedle dee... :music
:what
LOL! :clap :haha @party

C'mon guys, quit be so negative, I am sure the only reason they have been showing this for a week striaght is because they (Voom) were going out of business on April 30th, so they wanted to save on resources anywhere possible. Now that it is official that they will market and sell the Voom 21 content i am sure the business model will not be to have the same show running for a week stright. I thought the groundhog day rerun for the entire day was quite clever myself!!!!

richard_rd said:
C'mon guys, quit be so negative, I am sure the only reason they have been showing this for a week striaght is because they (Voom) were going out of business on April 30th, so they wanted to save on resources anywhere possible. Now that it is official that they will market and sell the Voom 21 content i am sure the business model will not be to have the same show running for a week stright. I thought the groundhog day rerun for the entire day was quite clever myself!!!!
Your right. Now they will start looping, "East Side West Side Story" so it will help the E* folks decide if they should mirror the new HD channels from the East Coast (61.5) to the West Cost (148) :)

I'm not a patient person, always wanting to be 'first on the block.' I bought the first Mits 65" HD RPTV with the $3000 HD tuner back in Dec '98! I think I was one of 10 folks in the DC area that could pick up HD signals. But over the years, frankly, I'm tired of being the guinea pig for the A/V industry. I still have the Dish 6000 reciever, not wanting the headaches of an early adopter for the 921 - boy did I play that one right!

So I'm smuggly smiling today, because back in Jan, I had placed an order with VOOM to install their service and tell Charlie to f--- himself for his lies about Dish being the HD leader. But I got cold feet and canceled the install right before the infamous board meeting that sealed VOOM's fate. I'll be ready to add 10 HD channels to my Favorites list tomorrow.

The only thing that rubs me wrong - this makes Charlie look good. Damn.

Do these HD channels show movies in their OAR - original aspect ratio? HBO is bad about cropping 2.35:1 movies to 1.78:1, and I hope these channels do not do this.

any more news if you absolutely need the second dish?

boy921 said:

I think it has to do with the Voom shutdown. I'm sure if they weren't shutting down, they wouldn't be showing the same thing for a week at a time. Surely the channel will go back to normal after the Voom shutdown and when Dish picks it up.

Whew. Just read 324 posts. Amazing. Lots of wishful thinking with no basis in reality for a lot of it.

To sum it up:
  • we KNOW the new V*onE* is at 61.5 - Raninbow-1 no doubt
  • MAYBE they'll mirror them on 148 (I wish it's so ;) )
  • It will probably cost $5/mo more than the HD pack

Remember - even though V*ers gotta swap out the 61.5 dish/LNB, we KNOW they have LOS for it. There's also lots of existing E*ers that have 61.5 dishes - around 50 eastern DMA's "secondary" locals are already there, and some of the existing HDers. No, it's probably not even a majority overall between them, but it's a fair-sized "chunk" for sure, and we KNOW there's no room on 110/119 for the new channels.

So, given all that, who can argue AGAINST more & more eastern LiL being carried on 61.5? Might the national HD eventually move elsewhere - sure! That makes sense - once you free up some CONUS space on 110/119 by moving LiL elsewhere - like 129 maybe?

Someone is saying they'll move R-1 to 110. I doubt it. They already have a massive spotbeam bird being launched for that spot (IIRC - or is it going to 119?), and R-1 won't be as efficient there due to antenna configurations. Yeah, I might be wrong. Yeah, maybe the antennas can be reconfigured, but if you THINK ABOUT IT, how many frelling spotbeams can you possibly put at 110? Do the math for crying out loud.

Then, they've got the new D1000 - if they get something flying at 129. Lots of easy-to-install bandwidth there.

Finally, 157 is still licensed, and a standard D500 can be used for 148/157 - that covers Alaska/Hawaii needs - and because they'll be spotbeamed by necessity, those 2 slots are still wide open for the west coast LiLs. SO, I expect the core channels to be mirrored on 148/157 H/A spots someday.

Whew. Well, there's my 8 cents worth of trash talk for this thread. :D

DanH said:
Do these HD channels show movies in their OAR - original aspect ratio? HBO is bad about cropping 2.35:1 movies to 1.78:1, and I hope these channels do not do this.

any more news if you absolutely need the second dish?

They, they do. Origionally, they were cropped, but many months ago, Voom decided to start making their new transfers OAR. So, the newer transfers will be in OAR. Fiddler on the Roof for instance, which has been showing for a week straight is OAR. Can't be that, a week straight on OAR on a channel! :p

I Wonder, since the Voom (10) channels are going to be broadcast off Rainbow 1 (which Voom still owns) why only 10 of the 21 Voom originals? Any ideas on this by someone in the know... Also I currently have a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5 that I get CBSHD off, I assume that Rainbow 1 is close enough at that location to pickup Rainbow 1 without problem? Thanks, Gerry

I live in Denver and our locals are on 148. I currently only have Dish 500 (110/119) but have ordered the 148 Dish for the rest of my locals. Do you think that when the install guy comes out, I can just have him point it at 61.5? In other words, can the same Dish access 148 and 61.5--just pointed at different directions?

Maybe, obviously that's your intentions, just let the installer know and see what he can do ;)

ggw2000 said:
I Wonder, since the Voom (10) channels are going to be broadcast off Rainbow 1 (which Voom still owns) why only 10 of the 21 Voom originals? Any ideas on this by someone in the know... Also I currently have a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5 that I get CBSHD off, I assume that Rainbow 1 is close enough at that location to pickup Rainbow 1 without problem? Thanks, Gerry

They won't be using R1 they will be using E3 which is also at 61.5 and yes the dish you have now will be the one that will receive the Voom channels at least for now, dunno what they may do later for the others.

acousticbiker said:
I live in Denver and our locals are on 148. I currently only have Dish 500 (110/119) but have ordered the 148 Dish for the rest of my locals. Do you think that when the install guy comes out, I can just have him point it at 61.5? In other words, can the same Dish access 148 and 61.5--just pointed at different directions?

No it cannot pickup both at same time but one or the other if you have a unobstructed view of either.

Thanks- I Wish...

DucTape said:
They won't be using R1 they will be using E3 which is also at 61.5 and yes the dish you have now will be the one that will receive the Voom channels at least for now, dunno what they may do later for the others.

Ductape, there is so much speculation going on here that it is hard to decipher the FACTS. Many people here and over at DBSTALK are saying the channels are coming off R1?
I wish Scott had a "sticky" thread in this forum where no one could reply to and only the facts were posted by him or others in the know as they became available!! This thread does get tiresome to be sure... Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)