Dish Expands High Definition Package

The maintenance window at the Uplink in Cheyenne is between usually between 2-4am and it's probably the same at the others too. So I would highly doubt that they will flip the switch on at midnight in any time zone. May 1st could also mean any time during the day.

I'll bet that anyone expecting it to be there at 12:01am will be in for a let down.

You can buy an extra Dish for 20 bucks, my house is beginning to look like a dish farm.

I have 1 Dish 500 Quad feeding 2 811's and 2 311's, I have another Dish 500 Quad feeding a 510, 921 dual, and another 811. Now I just put up another quad 500 and pointed it at 61.5 today. Added 4 SW21's to feed 2 811's and a 921. I had got the extra 500 for 10 bucks, and the sw21's for 4 bucks. I had already got the extra Dish before all this went down to get CDS-HD, even though I get it OTA, I wanted to be able to record it on the 921 in HD, while record another OTA HD. This was enough to get my !SS in gear and get r done.

CRAZY HUH !!!!!!!!!!

Rumors that have been cleared up:

The 10 HD Voom Channels are on 61.5 TP 1,3,5,7 Broadcasting from Rainbow 1
Anyone that can see 61.5 can subscribe to the Voom Original Package
This package costs $5 a month
You must have the Dish HD package at $9.99

If you still have install questions please create a SEPERATE thread
If you want to talk about the dish offer to existing voom subs, you can continue to do so.

Also if you're getting the Voom channels now, talk about it in the thread located at: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=66390

Thanks!

:)

They are up and live

Just called the 1-800-333-3474 number. I requested the new HD VOOM channels. CSR asked me how many dishes I had. I told her I had one at 61.5, she informed me it would be an additional $5 a month. I said OK, I had the guide up and they went from red to gray right then. Whole thing from dailing the phone to watching the new channels took about 2 minutes.

Gotta go. New HD to check out.

What the f***. Just got off the phone with csr who told me they're on the guide but not available yey! Gonna call again and hope to win the knowledgeable csr lottery.

Attention: Those of us that had paid for the HD Pack annually will be required to convert to monthly (any outstanding balance is credited to your account) and there is no way to cash in on the half-price deal (at least I wasn't able to). The CSR made sure I had access to 61.5 and just two minutes later, I be Voomin, too!

RoboCop 3? It's been a long time since I've this old piece of camp...

As a former Voomer and a new Dish customer as of 2 weeks ago, I was excited to hear the Voom channels would carry over. That is until I heard Dish wants $5 more dollars for this package. This is absolutely retarded. Two different HD packages at two different prices. We are already paying $10 for five channels, three of which we already receive in SD (ESPN, TNT, Discovery). I thought DTV was supposed to be the new standard. It seems more like a luxury tax having to pay more money for more HD programming. There are those of you that will say it's only $5 more, but when will these providers stop milking their customers for every little cent they can get? When TBS, USA, Spike, MTV, ESPN2 go HD will we be forced into paying for another HD "package". HD should not be a premium service. The general public is not going to want to pay for HD and the big networks know it. These package prices are just going to scare them away and it will just take longer for more HD channels to come on line. Is Dish having to pay someone for these Voom channels and therefore passing it on to subscribers? Someone enlighten me because right now this just sucks.

wjlane said:
As a former Voomer and a new Dish customer as of 2 weeks ago, I was excited to hear the Voom channels would carry over. That is until I heard Dish wants $5 more dollars for this package. This is absolutely retarded. Two different HD packages at two different prices. We are already paying $10 for five channels, three of which we already receive in SD (ESPN, TNT, Discovery). I thought DTV was supposed to be the new standard. It seems more like a luxury tax having to pay more money for more HD programming. There are those of you that will say it's only $5 more, but when will these providers stop milking their customers for every little cent they can get? When TBS, USA, Spike, MTV, ESPN2 go HD will we be forced into paying for another HD "package". HD should not be a premium service. The general public is not going to want to pay for HD and the big networks know it. These package prices are just going to scare them away and it will just take longer for more HD channels to come on line. Is Dish having to pay someone for these Voom channels and therefore passing it on to subscribers? Someone enlighten me because right now this just sucks.

I'm sure you already know the answer to that one. Ain't nothing free. Especially if you want it. This is how it's done. Customers will pay. They ALWAYS DO. How many thought they'd never pay for a cell phone? The difference here is we're talking about a television standard that has been with us since its beginnings. People are slow to accept this one, but it is happening. So, repeat after me...PEOPLE WILL PAY, PEOPLE WILL PAY.

wjlane said:
As a former Voomer and a new Dish customer as of 2 weeks ago, I was excited to hear the Voom channels would carry over. That is until I heard Dish wants $5 more dollars for this package. This is absolutely retarded. Two different HD packages at two different prices.

Many cable companies offer more than one tier of HD programming too. This is not a DISH Network invention.

wjlane said:
Is Dish having to pay someone for these Voom channels and therefore passing it on to subscribers? Someone enlighten me because right now this just sucks.

Of course DISH is paying for these VOOM channels! Just like they have to pay to broadcast ESPN, FOX News, or any other channel. We Americans are obsessed with the notion that everything should be free.

wjlane said:
We are already paying $10 for five channels, three of which we already receive in SD (ESPN, TNT, Discovery).
Not quite true as I understand it (I don't subscribe to these). Aren't these usually showing something different from each of their respective SD counterparts at any given time?
wjlane said:
I thought DTV was supposed to be the new standard.
Well, technically speaking ALL of Dish Network is DTV (== digital TV), "the new standard". HD is just a subset of DTV.
wjlane said:
There are those of you that will say it's only $5 more, but when will these providers stop milking their customers for every little cent they can get? When TBS, USA, Spike, MTV, ESPN2 go HD will we be forced into paying for another HD "package".
I guess I'm one of those "only $5 more" people, and I'm one of those pointing out the much lower price per channel, for what it's worth... :)

Also I feel that the new Voom Originals do warrant a separate package. In fact, that's precisely what they should be since they are their own collection separate from any other existing HD services at the moment. Adding other individual HD channels like the ones you listed would really have no reason for another package. Those will likely just be lumped into the existing 5-channel HD Pak.

Ultimately HD will replace all of the existing SD channels. Voom is a whole set of new channels. If HD did not exist and dish added these 10 channels as an extra package they would rightfully ask for a new package price. One by one, as the bandwith frees up, dish will provide existing SD channels in HD. I wouldn't think it would be right to ask for more money for those, as they wouldn't be new channels.

It only took me three minutes to get the upgrade by phone. No confusion by the csr, and no long wait.

10 VOOM channels not showing up in Guide 11AM Mountain?

I just power cycled my parents 811 and the 10 Voom channels are not in the quide. Is a dish pointed at 61.5 required to get the guide information? My parents have a Dish 500 looking at 110 and 119 only.

Regards
Ron

rrolsbe said:
I just power cycled my parents 811 and the 10 Voom channels are not in the quide. Is a dish pointed at 61.5 required to get the guide information? My parents have a Dish 500 looking at 110 and 119 only.
E* does not display channels in the guide unless you have a dish pointing at the source satellite.

(Technically the guide information is there, but hidden since your 811 can't see 61.5.)

JL

Keep your pants on folks

So DISH has had the VOOM channels on for not even 24 hours now. Yet everyone who does not currently have a dish pointed at 61.5 is freaking out. Give DISH just a little bit of time folks. They will make arrangements so that this added HD content is available to the masses.

Tech Chat Next Week

For those of you who may be interested, there will be a Tech Chat on channel 101 on Monday, May 9th. The time is 9:00 pm EST.

If you've never seen a Charlie Chat or a Tech Chat, these broadcasts allow you to write or call in your questions and have them answered. Check it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)