Dish Faces April 30 Deadline In TiVo Case

Hey, I don't feel any love in this thread... :D Seriously, Dish Network DVRs are not getting turned off (not very likely)...it's just a matter of how much $$$ Tivo is getting paid. Unfortunately for E*'s shareholders...way, way, way too much!!!

Answered the question

I'm just adding to the lively discussion.:) I don't like Tivo's crappy business model, but Thomas has been 99% correct in this case. Offhand, I STILL don't know why E* hasn't settled this case...should have done so years ago.

You may have answered your own question. TIVO's crappy biz model. Push them till they are so far buried in red ink that they are an easy take over target.

Check Thomas's posts....EVERY SINGLE ONE on a Tivo thread. He's obsessed.

Check Thomas's posts....EVERY SINGLE ONE on a Tivo thread. He's obsessed.

And actually doing that research for 430+ posts doesn't make you obsessed? :eek:

Seriously, though, enough of the ad hominem. Let's stay on point.

What I don't understand is the Tivo patents covers a device for converting analog Television signals into separate MPEG-2 video and audio transport streams, storing these on a computer disk drive, then combining and playing back through a Television the resulting television program.

I would argue the ViP receivers are nothing like the DVRs they replace: With the ATSC switchover, there are no more (for practical purposes) analog TV stations, so therefore, no more AD conversion going on in the DVR. Strike one against Tivo.

For conventional Dish programming, the MPEG-2 conversion occurs at Dish, not in the device, so strike two. (Strike 2.1, ATSC broadcasts are MPEG-2, but again, there is no need to encode MPEG-2 in the DVR.) All the ViP DVRs store are pre-encoded data streams, no encoding necessary.

For HD programming, all of Dish's channels are MPEG-4, not MPEG-2 (a different encoding technology with different patents) so Tivo's patents concerning the storage and playback of MPEG-2 signals would not apply. Strike three. Those customers on the Eastern Arc are 100% MPEG-4, so they should not be affected by any shutoff of the enjoined DVR models. The ViP DVRs are not infringing on Tivo's patents named in the original lawsuit.

Of course, I'm sure Echostar's (it is Echostar, and not DishNetwork, right?) lawyers have gone through this already.

The infringed claim makes no mention of NTSC, ATSC, MPEG or any other codec. For any difference to be more than colorable, the difference has to be in the context of the infringed claim.

And actually, Tivo was so broad in their patent, that any television signal being broadcast and stored for later playback is covered. It specifically mentions MPEG, but does not differentiate between MPEG-1, MPEG-2, or any further MPEG standard that may be passed. My bad...

Good thing I'm not a lawyer, right?

However, the patent is based on using MPEG to store the AV data, so switching to something other than MPEG would circumvent that portion of the patent. Whether or not that would happen before Echostar buys Tivo is doubtful, however.

Last edited:
Don't I recall that TiVo tried to get the VIP boxes included in the lawsuit but were denied, because they were not in existence when it was filed?

If they were not includable during the trial why should they be considered as part of the judgement?

Don't I recall that TiVo tried to get the VIP boxes included in the lawsuit but were denied, because they were not in existence when it was filed?

If they were not includable during the trial why should they be considered as part of the judgement?

Because TIVO wants them included? If I was in their position I would try also, doesn't make it right.

It doesn't matter whether they use electron tubes and rubber bands. It's the process that's patented.

Except that the appellant court removed the hardware claims from the original verdict. So, the hardware is currently non infringing (until retried). I believe they said TiVo was free to pursue the hardware claims if they wanted, but they are no longer part of this case.

Contempt of court does not require a new trial. We just had an example of that. There would be a contempt hearing first to determine whether there is only a colorable difference and if so, Dish will have been in contempt on the newer models for Lo these many years (willfully according to the Dish admissions of needing to disable all their DVRs if they lost the appeal). If there is more than a colorable difference then a new trial would be needed.

wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif
Is your head SOLID Neutronium, or is it just Neutronium clad? The Vips are NOT included in this case. tivo would have to start all over again with a new round of extortion to get rid of them.

...the Court thereby enters judgment for Plaintiff against Defendants for infringement of U.S. Patent No. 6,233,389 (“‘389 patent”), claims 1, 5, 21, 23, 32, 36, 52, 31 and 61 (“the Infringed Claims”) by Defendants’ following DVR receivers (collectively the “Infringing Products”): DP-501; DP-508; DP-510; DP-522; DP-625; DP-721; DP-921; and the DP-942.

Defendants are hereby FURTHER ORDERED to, within thirty (30) days of the issuance of this order, disable the DVR functionality (i.e., disable all storage to and playback from a hard disk drive of television data) in all but 192,708 units of the Infringing Products that have been placed with an end user or subscriber. The DVR functionality, i.e., disable all storage to and playback from a hard disk drive of television data) shall not be enabled in any new placements of the Infringing Products.

The 522 and 625 are the only 2 models that really are going to be an issue. 721, 921 and 942 models have been recalled and replaced with VIP series product.

There are a few 501, 508 and 510 receivers out in the field still, but its been a while since I ran accross one.

Like I said all along, Dish will either buy Tivo or pay the licensing. If Dish has to pay the licensing, there will be a slow migration to an all VIP platform!

The Vips are NOT included in this case. tivo would have to start all over again with a new round of extortion to get rid of them.
I hate to agree with Thomas, but... Judge Folsom is so biased against Dish, his writings look to me as though he's totally and completely insane. And 2 of 3 Appellate Court judges agree with his lunatic ravings. So, it hardly matters what you or Scott or I or Dish or Thomas thinks about what is or is not colorably different. Folsom could declare the VIP series not colorably different and Dish would be between a rock and a hard place.

IMHO, complete speculation follows:
IMHO Dish and TiVo have been "talking" quite secretly for some time about Dish or Echostar purchasing TiVo, but TiVo's price was too high for our frugal Charlie Ergan. Ergen has always said that he is waiting for the results of the suit to determine what he (Dish) will do regarding TiVo. In other words, Chuck doesn't want to buy TiVo unless he has to.

TiVo has just made further provision for "golden parachutes" for its top execs (mr. Rogers among them) should a company buy TiVo, and TiVo--continuing bad news for the company--is more than willing to sell in a friendly take-over, and Ergan simply can't allow the leverage that TiVo will exert in negotiating license fees when time truly does run-out for Dish. The only option will be for Dish to buy TiVo, but at a huge cost, but not so huge that Dish cant' afford it. Rogers, et al. must get as much for the sale, while not making it too unpalatable.

IMHO, we will see an announcement of Dish or Echostar's intention to buy TiVo by the end of April. I may be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)