Dish Fees Explained.

Well its safe to say my jaw almost hit the floor when I saw the equipement fees.

As per Sherrman (thanks BTW):

Primary receiver is free, dual, single tuner or Hopper
Secondary single tuner non DVR $7
Secondary single tuner DVR $10
Secondary dual tuner non DVR $14
Secondary dual tuner DVR $17
Secondary Hopper $12
Joey $7
DVR fee $7
Hopper Whole Home DVR fee $12
Service Plan $7
Convert 211 into a DVR $40 one time fee (requires purchased EHD)

Am not a fan of Canadian TV nor Bell, but for a company that uses the same technology as Dish, atleast they dont have any fees. One can easilly get 50$ in "fees" which is absurd. In business, you want to encourage people to use/buy your products not discourage them.

Cheers, K

Agree w/ previous poster, Dish fees should be in the stickies.

I don't see what is so jaw-dropping about the fees. Any other service I've checked out have fees that are comparable. Heck, my cable company charges $18 for a single tuner DVR and $10 for a single tuner non DVR. All pay-TV pricing has gotten out of hand long ago.

These fees can potentially be more than the actual programming for some. When you sign up for a 40$ package, the bill shouldnt be 75$

These fees can potentially be more than the actual programming for some. When you sign up for a 40$ package, the bill shouldnt be 75$

Fee's can add up easily. Here are my extra fees on top of programming:
2nd Hopper $7
2nd Joey $7
3rd Joey $7
DVR Fee $10
Multi-Sports $11
HBO half-price $9
Total fees beyond the AT250 $51

As you can see I still have the cheaper fees yet so mine could be more expensive yet. $51 is a lot on top of the package I have but I like what I have.

Still, that's not bad. Take away sports and HBO, as those are really programming, not fees. For 4 TVs all with DVR, you have a total of $31 in fees. To get 4 TVs all with DVR with Comcast, for example, would be $54.

I don't care who charges for what. They're damnable fees regardless! They just push people to cut the cord.

remember taxes too. for me Direct was a little less when it came to fees.forget cable! in my area it's significantly higher than dish and directv. honestly i rather pay dish a little more in fees for the better equipment.

remember taxes too. for me Direct was a little less when it came to fees.forget cable! in my area it's significantly higher than dish and directv. honestly i rather pay dish a little more in fees for the better equipment.

It almost seems a bit misleading... Dish advertises AT120 for 49$/month then the bill comes in at 90$. Fees should all be incorperated into the programming packages prices IMO.

Well its safe to say my jaw almost hit the floor when I saw the equipement fees.

As per Sherrman (thanks BTW):

Primary receiver is free, dual, single tuner or Hopper
Secondary single tuner non DVR $7
Secondary single tuner DVR $10
Secondary dual tuner non DVR $14
Secondary dual tuner DVR $17
Secondary Hopper $12
Joey $7
DVR fee $7
Hopper Whole Home DVR fee $12
Service Plan $7
Convert 211 into a DVR $40 one time fee (requires purchased EHD)

Am not a fan of Canadian TV nor Bell, but for a company that uses the same technology as Dish, atleast they dont have any fees. One can easilly get 50$ in "fees" which is absurd. In business, you want to encourage people to use/buy your products not discourage them.

Cheers, K

Agree w/ previous poster, Dish fees should be in the stickies.

To me, not safe to say! I have first hand gone to carrier's sites as a new customer to see my total for similar to what I have with DISH after the promotion period, and on a few occasions here listed and talked about fees and package prices from carriers like Charter, and in almost every case the fees are higher when totaled, and certainly when the package and fees are totaled they are always higher. Just to start is the receiver fee, which for the first receiver is often charged with Cable.
?And you have fees that not everyone pays in your list, making it very deceiving.

One other thing, sometimes it sounds like if DISH would drop some fees people would be happy. You can't think if some fees were dropped that loss of revenue wouldn't come from somewhere, like higher package prices? Fees do serve a purpose. For those who want the minimum, can't afford anymore, they can get the lower package prices, and avoid many of the fees. It's called a business model. Dish could change the business model to less fees, and higher prices in other places.
You can't single out one thing, or you lose site of how the business makes money. Dish, as almost always, is still less than most other carriers for the total bill. That's what should be focused on. Exceptions, sure but even then I would have to see what equipment is being compared and what is in the package being compared.

Last edited:
Yes, the fees and package prices are out of control for all providers, has been for years. And as Tampa said, the fees allow for a more ala-carte option in how much you pay. Heck, my fees total only $7. You want more channels, you pay higher package prices. You want more or better equipment, you pay higher fees. The only thing I see wrong with the current model is if you purchase your own equipment, you shouldn't have to pay the fees for them.

Last edited:
It almost seems a bit misleading... Dish advertises AT120 for 49$/month then the bill comes in at 90$. Fees should all be incorperated into the programming packages prices IMO.

I've thought that same thing but if they put those in their promo pricing then people would say oh. 60 bucks for TV? I don't think so. People see that low price and jump all over that. In reality that's a good idea so people could see exactly what they're paying but the tv companies don't see it like that.

I've thought that same thing but if they put those in their promo pricing then people would say oh. 60 bucks for TV? I don't think so. People see that low price and jump all over that. In reality that's a good idea so people could see exactly what they're paying but the tv companies don't see it like that.

That is definitely an interesting idea, though since customers get different setups we can't accurately advertise a package price that includes monthly fees. Since the programming package price is the same, regardless what is added as equipment, that is the price that is shown so customers have an idea for the base cost of the service.

I don't see what is so jaw-dropping about the fees. Any other service I've checked out have fees that are comparable. Heck, my cable company charges $18 for a single tuner DVR and $10 for a single tuner non DVR. All pay-TV pricing has gotten out of hand long ago.
Yep.

Lack of HD channels is the original reason why I left Comcast Video over 3 years ago, and ridiculous DVR and HD fees, among other reasons, are why I stay away. Any money I would save for bundling would quickly die a death (and then some), only to have less HD for more, and inferior DVR for more. No thanks.

Especially ridiculous DVR fees have gone up over the years, despite the fact over that same time period HDD prices have dropped.

But with a cable subscription you have the opportunity to save some money if you furnish your own equipment.

You can use a cable card in a smart TV or even buy a Tivo Premiere for as little as $99 if you want a DVR or whole house DVR set up. You will have to pay either the lifetime or monthly guide fee but you still can end up saving some money.

But with a cable subscription you have the opportunity to save some money if you furnish your own equipment.

You can use a cable card in a smart TV or even buy a Tivo Premiere for as little as $99 if you want a DVR or whole house DVR set up. You will have to pay either the lifetime or monthly guide fee but you still can end up saving some money.
I guess. It's cool, so cable TV subscribers can have some options, but the Tivo monthly fee it's still more expensive than the Hopper monthly fee. With the lifetime fee, it's a high entry point, and would take a few years to pay off, and before it ever did, I would want to upgrade to more advance DVR.

Plus, even with Tivo, still does not solved problem of HD fees, or the lack of HD channels.

Granted, I do like Tivo gives you the option to buy the Tivo mini to avoid the monthly fee. Kind of silly you cannot do the same with the Joey, especially when the thing looks like a gloried modem, and with real modems, you can buy them to avoid the fee.

Yep.

Lack of HD channels is the original reason why I left Comcast Video over 3 years ago, and ridiculous DVR and HD fees, among other reasons, are why I stay away. Any money I would save for bundling would quickly die a death (and then some), only to have less HD for more, and inferior DVR for more. No thanks.

Especially ridiculous DVR fees have gone up over the years, despite the fact over that same time period HDD prices have dropped.

Electronics have always dropped in price as the years go on. For some reason that doesn't matter to cable and Satellite providers. They always raise the lease fees even thought it costs less and less to make. Same with the DVR fee.

The truth is you will pay more for a PS4 when it comes out but over the next couple years it will go down in price. Not our DVR lease fees.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

The failure of this model is that it doesn't take into account homes with lots of sophisticated boxes versus homes with a single box. The model that charges you based on the size and sophistication of your system should provide a more equitable bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts