DISH FIRST TO OFFER TV SERIES IN 1080P RESOLU

From a geek, yep your wrong. :)

1080i to 1080p is not just doubling every other line. In must be de-interlaced, which the TV may or may not do correctly.

720p to 1080p is simple scaling.
TV is a Sony KDS-55A2020 SXRD RPTV 1080p/60. (one model before they became 24 fps capable)

I'll try 720p.....but I'm still skeptical. :)

Overall, it would appear the vast majority are disappointed with Dish Network's initial 1080p VOD offering. How many people would rather see E* invest their time and energy into improving HD picture quality or continuing to develop 1080p VOD? As I mentioned before, I don't mind E* forging ahead with the 1080p VOD gimmicky, but it seems like a big waste of time and money when they should be focusing on improving their HD quality.

1. Best in Class receivers
2. Competitive programming and pricing
3. Good service
99. HD picture quality

Last edited:
I don't know ... currently Blu-Ray players are largely $200+.

People might not have the money to get both a HD TV and a Blu-Ray player ... BUT people might be willing to rent a Blu-Ray movie for $8. Granted, after 20 or so rentals, one may as well have purchased a Blu-Ray player ... but people might be able to swallow a few $8 pops at a time versus a big $200+ purchase.

Dish may as well milk it while they can ...

And ... the 1080P stuff that Dish does offer (when it works) ... does indeed look REALLY good.

I got it also but I get the picture in 1080p but no sound out of my hdmi via harman kardon receiver unless i switch my vip 622dvr to 720p or 1080i i get sound there must be a glitch to where they will not transmit sound through hdmi via 1080p...Had the same problem with I am legend 1080p...no sound through hdmi. Anybody else have that problem? Have a ps3 and don't have any problems using 1080p.

So far this has been a HUGE FAIL by Dish.

I have a 722 and a Sony LCD which can playback 1080 24p no problem. I've done it with Bluray and Via the 501 PPV.

When you select to download "The Beast" immediately you get a dialogue box stating that your TV may not be compatible so it asks to rent in a resolution that is comparable with your TV, if you select YES it will queue up, if you select Cancel it cancels or if you select NO it also seems to cancel. So I guess the FAIL here is they don't initiate the 1080p "test" to see if you can rent it at that resolution or if you should be forced to go lower.

I finally decided to let it download at whatever it gave me.

Download speed was TERRIBLE and I have a very solid 20/20 Fios internet connection, E* pushed less than 1mbps, I left it and went to bed.

When I tried to watch the show it plays at 1080 60i.

I think E* needs to implement something in their system settings that will allow you to "test" and "set" the receiver (almost a prequalify) to do 1080p. OR they should initiate the "test" before you go to rent/download the 1080p The Beast.

So far I'm not impressed.

Third time to try to down load the Beast and I got it , but this time it is only in 1080i again. SO I give up on the 1080p series from DISH.

You guys need to worry less about whether its 1080p and more about the bitrate. 1080p vs 1080i is meaningless if you TV's deinterlacer can properly recognize film content and perform inverse telecine (in 2009 many TVs do this correctly). I have an HDTV purchased way back in 2005 and it reassembles 1080p24 perfectly from film-sourced 1080i60.

I'll continue to worry since I have proper equipment, DISH needs to test this crap before they make a big deal of it in a Press Release... I would call and talk to tech support but I know they'd be clueless and not know how to properly take / cascade a bug report.

I've said this many times before they need some email address or form for those of us who KNOW stuff and would like to report bugs so they can better fix them, those of us who appreciate helping.

You guys need to worry less about whether its 1080p and more about the bitrate. 1080p vs 1080i is meaningless if you TV's deinterlacer can properly recognize film content and perform inverse telecine (in 2009 many TVs do this correctly). I have an HDTV purchased way back in 2005 and it reassembles 1080p24 perfectly from film-sourced 1080i60.

I'll continue to worry since I have proper equipment, DISH needs to test this crap before they make a big deal of it in a Press Release...

I guess my post went over your head. A TV with a decent interlacer will properly recognize 24fps film sources from 1080i60 and extract and reassemble the original 24fps frames. Therefore 1080i vs 1080p doesn't matter, you get the same 1080p24 picture either way. My old LCOS RPTV did this as well as the three of the four other HDTVs I've purchased in the last three years.

I guess my post went over your head. A TV with a decent interlacer will properly recognize 24fps film sources from 1080i60 and extract and reassemble the original 24fps frames. Therefore 1080i vs 1080p doesn't matter, you get the same 1080p24 picture either way. My old LCOS RPTV did this as well as the three of the four other HDTVs I've purchased in the last three years.

Where it comes into play is newer sets than can display in multiples of 24. No 3:2 repetition of frames, rather get 5:5 for 120hz displays.

This is assuming the source puts the right flags on the fields and that the TV can do native 24. If the source does not put the flags on it, you are out of luck.

I have a video camera that can do 24P, and converts to 60i, but in the conversion, it does not put the flags, so any editing software has a bugger of a time getting the 24P back.

This is assuming the source puts the right flags on the fields and that the TV can do native 24. If the source does not put the flags on it, you are out of luck.

That is not true. There are many implementations that do not rely upon correct flagging for proper deinterlacing and inverse pulldown. For instance, anything with a Silicon Optix HQV video processor in it does not depend on proper flags. It will actually compare fields to determine the pulldown. In fact, this is a pretty standard test for deinterlacing - determining if it can produce the correct results even if the content isn't flagged properly, or isn't flagged at all.

Yes, the software can compare the fields ... not all software can do this well though.

I'm not saying you're wrong, or that your point isn't valid. I did want to point out though that many of the posters in this thread seem to think that the content being sent as 1080i automatically made it worse (and conversely, thought that 1080p would make it automatically better), and they are wrong. It's the higher bitrate that gives it better PQ. I can have my Blu-ray player output 1080i and it will produce a better picture on my TV than any 1080p from Dish, simply because it's higher bitrate, and my TV can properly recover 1080p24 from film-sourced 1080i60.

It's the higher bitrate that gives it better PQ.

going back to my original post:

I finally got to watching the Beast 1080p...... and I checked the resolution on my TV.... it was 720p..... just like my receiver is set to output.... I was really dissappointed .... but at least it looked like a TRUE HD signal...
Yes I have a 1080p TV.

Oh yeah..... it only took my about 2.5 hours to download at 4.17Mb/sec, it dowloaded from 9:00pm to about 11:30pm PST.

I have the FIOS 20/20 connection

Yes I understand that is the bitrate... compression applied...etc.... and the
The Beast" Did look really good...

however bottom line is this... they are delivering a product that is different than what they say it is. If they are claiming it's a 1080p signal... then the box should be outputing 1920x1080p signal.

I have DSL supplied by AT&T (sbglobal.net). I have a 1080P set and 1080P A/V receiver with a VIP 622HD DVR and would like to attempt a 1080P VOD purchase.

Does DISH sell an Internet Hook-Up wireless kit as DircTV does?

I have ordered the DirecTV kit for my DirecTV HR22-100 DVR. From what I have seen their kit (for some reason is not compatible with the DISH DVRs). If I order a DSL wireless kit what Manufacture and part number is recommended?

Is their a wireless DSL kit that handles 1080P better than 1080I or would it all be the same being limited by your Broadband (DSL) connection?

Suggestions Welcomed. THANKS!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)