Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

Screw the local businesses. If we weren't so swamped with commercials it would be different. Viacom is adding an extra nine minutes to some of their half hour programs just so they can add nine more minutes of commercials. And on many channels sometimes you can see ten or more commercials in a row. Somehow this has got to stop. It's getting so I can't watch anything because there are so darned many commercials. And yes I can subscribe to a pay channel like HBO but they repeat their programs too much.

Careful with what you say. There are plenty of business owners that are members here. Unless of course you prefer there to no longer have any family owned local businesses anymore.

Just saw this on the KSDK website... (St. Louis - NBC):

Attention DISH Subscribers

Gannett and DISH Network have reached an agreement regarding DISH Network's continued retransmission of Gannett stations.

Yay!

Statement From DISH Regarding Gannett

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 10/08/12 -- We can confirm that DISH Network and Gannett have reached a long-term agreement regarding DISH Network's continued retransmission of Gannett's Stations.

That's good news,I would be very interested to know the details of the deal.

Statement From DISH Regarding Gannett

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 10/08/12 -- We can confirm that DISH Network and Gannett have reached a long-term agreement regarding DISH Network's continued retransmission of Gannett's Stations.

Well I'll be........

I sure was wrong.

I just received the same statement to my email....

Dear DISH Customer,
We can confirm that DISH Network and Gannett have reached a long term agreement regarding DISH Network’s continued retransmission of Gannett’s Stations.
Sincerely,
DISH

That's good news,I would be very interested to know the details of the deal.

I imagine we'll know by the size of the upcoming rate increase or there will soon be a Hippity Hop Bop Auto-Hop Stop. Either way, I don't think Dish was in the drivers seat since they could not afford to lose these channels on the heels of the AMC tussle. Regardless, I'm glad folks didn't lose their channels.

So, is the self directed commercial hopping feature going to be active tomorrow on the respective stations??

Yes, it's almost as if you can see the future :)

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Scott just uses one of those old 70's style magical 8 balls.:D

I would also wager that autohop will still be working on all big4 Gannett channels.

The big question is how much did it cost?

As we get closer to February I wonder if we should start a poll as to what everyone thinks the rate increases will be to the packages.

Scherrman said:
As we get closer to February I wonder if we should start a poll as to what everyone thinks the rate increases will be to the packages.

My guess will be whatever scott and his magic 8 ball says. :)

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

I really wonder what they agreed to, but we will never, ever know the details, as BOTH sides ALWAYS keep that confidential/trade secret. Even though BOTH sides use us customers as pawns.

It seems to me if commercials were the primary concern of Gannett, they would not be taking themselves off of Dish. That certainly will guarantee those without OTA will not see their commercials. Remember, we are talking about a very small percentage who even have a Hoppa, and then who also use the skip feature is even less. So the vast percentage of customers who get their programming on Dish, do not have Hoppas, do not have the skip feature.
I conclude they could wait for the Court's decision, so this is about money.

There is no working on this through the weekend. Either Dish agrees to disable Auto Hop or pay a huge rate increase or, as the Soup Nazi says, "No WUSA for you!!!" That's the ultimatum issues by Gannett and I'm sure it's a tactics all the other major broadcasters will employ as other carriage agreements expire.

View attachment 81629
Or - Gannett backs down....

That has been my feeling. I strongly felt this was not about the Hoppa. If it was there would be no settlement. Unless it can be a sealed agreement with penalties for disclosure, Dish did not pay more to allow the skip feature. That would be an expensive precedent. Gannett was testing the waters, seeing if they could get more money.

If you left Dish even though you liked the service, think twice if (when) your new provider has a dispute before jumping the gun. History shows local's disputes don't last long if at all.

I hope that Dish didn't have to make any concessions in this deal. If they did then I'm against it. Gannett didn't deserve even one red cent more for their programming. In fact, they should be paying Dish to carry their stations. The more exposure they get the more they can charge for their commercials. Why should we have to pay extra for programming that already has commercials? All programming with commercials should be free. We should only pay extra for programming such as HBO and Showtime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts