Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

I have thought that too. I may not see the same outcome as you do, but it's a rocky one....
Yeah, heaven forbid that they are prevented from blatently double-dipping their revenue stream. Cable channels have a lower percentage of revenue from commercials compared to subscription revenue than broadcast channels, so they shouldn't protest as much as broadcast channels, right? :D :rolleyes:

:D

I'm glad Dish did not implement the skip feature for cable, yet. My hope is unless the Court calls it illegal, they won't be the only one with a feature like that, making threats by channels over it less meaningful. If Direct TV was a little more on the side of it's subscribers, and a little less a follower, they would implement their version. (assuming the info from Scott is correct)

Sorry about the whole "fact" symantics. What I should have said was where and who did you read that from?

We are in agreement that the implementation of autohop is a high risk/reward proposition for Dish, yet I don't see one of the outcomes being ballooning rate hikes (in relation to other providers or market rates). A leopard does not change its spots, and Dish is not going to suddenly start giving in on carriage deals. It will be an interesting battle to be sure.

I don't remember where I read all the different things about the reasons for auto hop being used for DISH's advantage in channel negotiations. The point is I can extrapolate and speculate what will happen based on the past history of DISH . DISH uses gimmicks that they promote in their advertising campaigns. IN the past we used TURBO HD . Then there was TV EVERYWHERE. Then last year it was Blockbuster@home . As you see all have been dropped from the main focus of their advertising . I see the same future for auto hop ,considering that the networks are suing them and the locals channels are extorting more carriage fees then DISH has ever paid. I don't think that DISH will continue to pay higher fees to carry the locals and not pass it on to the subs. If they pass it on to subs , this will force their "low priced " leader status to be in jeopardy. So this will force them to lose the auto hop feature ,eventually. Time will tell if I'm right .

Last edited: