Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

compubit1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
NoVA
Watching WUSA tonight and seeing both on-screen crawls and ads asking viewers to call Dish and WUSA may be off satellite on Oct. 8...

Any other Gannett stations running similar ads?

J

Yup looks like this is true... we have been talking about it in the Pub Forum for a few days now.

Let's hope they can reach a deal.

Yep, I'm seeing * * * ATTENTION DISH SUBSCRIBERS: STARTING OCTOBER 8, WUSA MAY NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE ON DISH. THAT MEANS YOU COULD LOSE ACCESS TO SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE WUSA PROGRAMMING, INCLUDING NFL FOOTBALL, NCIS AND THE BIG BANG THEORY, AS WELL AS YOUR LOCAL NEWS, WEATHER AND SPORTS. TELL DISH TO KEEP WUSA ON THE AIR OR VISIT WUSA9.COM TO LEARN ABOUT YOUR CHOICES. * * * crawl across the screen. :(

KSDK here in St Louis. I switched to Uverse and will call dish Monday to cancel. I'll use the dispute as reason and see what I can get out of them. I'll report m results.
It's really getting old with dish and these disputes.

Even though this one affects me I just cant get taht upset about this one. Lets see if i keep that attitude after the channel goes dark.

So no 9NEWS Denver? KUSA a Gannet station.
I sure wish they would put Denver back on the Conus beam so we can move there. It used to be on it for the RV waivers.

Wkyc Cleveland also...hoping they get it resolved soon...am I right to assume ota tuner would help me regain channel if they don't settle?

I have a antenna hooked up already so I can record KARE11 on my Dish DVR regardless of their stupid fight. My biggest issue with this stuff is how the ota broadcasters continually justify their contract terms by the fact that they negotiated similar terms with the entrenched cable companies. Cable companies in the KARE11 area really don't care how much the cost is because they can just pass it onto their customers. Customers with cable don't have a choice who serves them so the only actual competition is satellite services. And many folks can't get satellite. So how is a deal you cut with Charter or MediaCom in any way similar to what you should be able to cut with a satellite company like dish? it's not similar.

There's an ABC/NBC duopoly owned by Gannett in Jacksonville, FL, WTLV 12 and WJXX 25. If a deal isn't reached, Dish subs in that market are losing two of the big four networks.

Reuters has a terrible article out there that in the first paragraph attempts to indicate the issue is all about auto-hop. Yet the quotes from both parties do nothing to indicate any contract issue related auto-hop. Instead it seems to be completely about money.

Have this potentially annoying issue here too. First message popped up tonight. This will cause CBS shows and local broadcasting to disappear for the Fredericksburg, Va/Washington D.C. Area. I am so tired of this crap. I just renewed for two years for the Hoppers too. I wonder what it would cost me to cancel at about 90 days in to the contract?

"Thus far, Dish has refused to reach a fair, market-based deal with us" is a quote from the Gannett group - of course this is the same group that thinks that access to one of their local newspaper sites is worth $10/month... I somehow doubt that they even know the meaning of the word fair.

Have this potentially annoying issue here too. First message popped up tonight. This will cause CBS shows and local broadcasting to disappear for the Fredericksburg, Va/Washington D.C. Area. I am so tired of this crap. I just renewed for two years for the Hoppers too. I wonder what it would cost me to cancel at about 90 days in to the contract?
Not exactly sure about the current ETF rate, but at least $12.00 per month left on 24. But, my advice, keep your hand on your knee and be patient.

These local OTA stations should get paid ZERO for carriage. Fork 'em. They make their money from advertising.

All the carriers should just say no. Let's see how fast they come crawling back when their ad rates take a dive due to lower viewership, and especially when their network overlords feel the pinch.

WZZM an ABC affiliate in Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek is also affected, but what will hurt this station is there is another ABC station in the market what DISH owners get so nothing other than a crawl over the top of programs this evening/ Between the crawl at the top of the screen and the logo and coming program crap on the bottom of the screen I fully understand why wide screen television was invented. Marketing not entertainment pleasure.

Gannett to stop broadcasting on Dish if ad-skipping feature not removed

[h=1]Gannett to stop broadcasting on Dish if ad-skipping feature not removed[/h]
ri Oct 5, 2012 12:14am EDT

(Reuters) - Dish Network Corp said the broadcasting arm of newspaper publisher Gannett Co Inc has threatened to withdraw broadcasting on the satellite TV provider if it does not block the commercial-skipping feature on its digital video recorders or agree to pay massive penalties.

Dish's AutoHop feature on its Hopper DVR lets customers press one button to automatically skip commercials when they are watching recorded TV shows. Dish introduced its high-definition DVR called the Hopper earlier this year.

If Gannett Broadcasting lets the current broadcasting contract expire without renewal, Dish customers in 19 cities including Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Denver, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Phoenix and Sacramento would lose various ABC, CBS and NBC-affiliated stations, Dish said in a statement.

"Gannett's demands translate into more than a 300 percent rate increase, which would likely result in higher monthly fees for consumers."

Dish offered to pay Gannett market rates, including an increase of more than 200 percent above current rates, and offered to extend the transmission contract during negotiations, which Gannett has refused, the No. 2 satellite provider said.

Read the rest at: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/05/us-dish-gannett-idUSBRE89403I20121005

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts