Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

Ugh. Time to invest in a good OTA antenna. Hey, Dish: how's that OTA update coming for the Hopper?? Will it be out by Sunday???

Also, aren't DISH and DirecTV REQUIRED to carry the locals?? If so, how can Gannett hold them hostage???

Ugh. Time to invest in a good OTA antenna. Hey, Dish: how's that OTA update coming for the Hopper?? Will it be out by Sunday???

Also, aren't DISH and DirecTV REQUIRED to carry the locals?? If so, how can Gannett hold them hostage???

Broadcasters have the choice. They can make themselves must-carry, but then they are not allowed to get retrans fees. Or, they can choose to have a retrans agreement which gets them money.

Man, if this is a test case on AutoHop, I don't see this getting resolved soon.

What's the point in autohop if everyone pulls their channels and you can't even do it via OTA anyway?

Dish Dropping WBIR Knoxville TN?

The Knoxville TN NBC affiliate, WBIR channel 10 has been running announcements and top of screen banners saying that as of Sunday at midnight, Dish may drop it. What's up with that?

these are no longer called disputes, they are dishputes.

a new one will be announced weekly, please stay tuned. coming soon to your market

My spidey senses suggest the FCC is going to get involved pretty soon.

1. Another owner of stations (not as many) also said that, then came to terms.

2. (To go along with what Teehar said) It jumps out at me, they may not actually be able to stop Dish if they simply refuse to be carried unless demands other than money are met and other than what is normally agreed to. That is what the lawsuit is for. If Dish wins the suit, and are doing something legal, and Gannett still refuses, I would bet Dish would then be granted permission to use another channel or some remedy. Then it becomes a question will every local follow Ganett, or will others realize they can get carried in a larger area and take the place of Gannett. What really needs to happen is another carrier have the guts to come up with something similar. If they can refuse to be carried over this, what else can they use, DVR's ??

3. Yes, we know, that's it, you're leaving Dish......

Last edited:
Gannet destroys everything they touch, they are have destroyed there newspaper branch and alienated there customer base, the forced fakebook switch, you have to sub to use the local news forums, complaints about the slowness of the online digital paper, delivery issues. Yeah just go away gannett! Doesn't surprise me that they are the same way with the broadcast portion of the company.

Last edited:
Re: Gannett to stop broadcasting on Dish if ad-skipping feature not removed

But in this case, they are giving them 4 measly days to negotiate. I was okay with the loss of AMC and the Big Ten (temporarily), but if I am out of one of my big 4 locals, that may be the tipping point.

Sent from my MoPho using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts