Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

I hope that Dish didn't have to make any concessions in this deal. If they did then I'm against it. Gannett didn't deserve even one red cent more for their programming. In fact, they should be paying Dish to carry their stations. The more exposure they get the more they can charge for their commercials. Why should we have to pay extra for programming that already has commercials? All programming with commercials should be free. We should only pay extra for programming such as HBO and Showtime.

how can they charge more for commercials if people have autohop?

It is funny how stations could force themselves to be on any provider then charge the provider for carrying said channel.

Not sure what you mean. It is either/or. If you require carriage you can't ask for money. If you choose compensation the carrier does not have to carry the station.

I hope that Dish didn't have to make any concessions in this deal. If they did then I'm against it. Gannett didn't deserve even one red cent more for their programming.

My guess is Dish inched toward Gannett a little on fees, but did nothing that would set any autohop or PTAT precedents.

Even on fees, I can't believe Dish ended up too far from wherever their real target was when negotiations began. Otherwise the channels would have gone dark.

Geronimo said:
Not sure what you mean. It is either/or. If you require carriage you can't ask for money. If you choose compensation the carrier does not have to carry the station.

Think about it. Stations can force providers to carry them. However, they can also mandate that providers pay a retransmission fee. Once again, FCC stacking the deck in one side's favor.

and now ironically all the Minneapolis stations are out...they were screwing up last night (per another thread) and now they're all gone

No. I edited my post. I was confused by people reporting their locals being out. Sorry about that. I wonder what the terms were for this to just go away so quickly. The Gannett ad time must not be that valuable or they wouldn't have been running a Dish dispute ad every third commercial for the last few days.

Last edited:
"If you left Dish even though you liked the service, think twice if (when) your new provider has a dispute before jumping the gun. History shows local's disputes don't last long if at all."

Except that there is STILL no AMC.

Think about it. Stations can force providers to carry them. However, they can also mandate that providers pay a retransmission fee. Once again, FCC stacking the deck in one side's favor.

To clarify. The stations have two options. One is to require carriage on a provider that also provides other competitive channels. Two, they can forgo the required carriage and instead charge re-transmission fees to those that wish to carry them. That means that someone like KARE11 can say yeah, carry me or else... or they can say yeah, you don't to carry me... oh you want to carry me, well that's gonna cost you. They have to pick an option, they can't do both.

Gannett: The dispute was not centered on the DVR.........

In a backwards way, that's the truth, but not what they were saying earlier.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/08/us-dish-gannett-idUSBRE89403I20121008

And don't miss the subtlety of the remark that Dish could allow same day skipping rather than next day. Sounds like part of an agreement in the making.....
You mean this quote.
While the DVR can currently skip ads only the day after airing, Dish can exert further pressure on broadcasters by threatening to skip ads for recorded broadcast shows the same day, which would destroy ad revenue for broadcast stations, Janney Capital Markets analyst Tony Wible said in a note.
That may keep a few network execs up at night.

Scott just uses one of those old 70's style magical 8 balls.:D

I would also wager that autohop will still be working on all big4 Gannett channels.

The big question is how much did it cost?
Here's the usual response he's been getting from it lately....

newsign.php

So DISH is going to pay over 300% increase to keep the locals on Gannett? I thought the whole reason for Charlie to come out with Auto Hop was to give him the leverage to force the networks to keep their prices down ,when their contracts came due. Instead it looks like they are using it to Force DISH to pay MORE, or they lose their channels. So this will translate to higher prices for ALL DISH subs ,I'm sure. I bet we see the price of our basic packs go up to reflect this increase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts