Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

Of course there would. Dish and all other providers have had disputes with Gannett in the past and they all will continue to have the same. AutoHop doesn't have a thing to do with it. Gannett is just using that as a last gasp thing against Dish....

And that is the reality of it.

OK, I normally ignore the "DISH losing channel XYZ" messages here, but this time I cannot:

KARE11, the NBC channel in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul), in in this Gannett group.

And I'm too far out, 42 miles, for OTA to work with my antenna.

And I cannot lose NBC now! So get your act together, DISH. Sande

you should be able to get KARE in Northfield. My buddy is in Belle Plaine and gets it (about the same distance away)

I bet come Monday with all the Gannet stations are gone, Dish will be giving out the OTA USB adapter for the Hopper to anyone that calls for free. In other words the release date will be Monday if the stations are pulled.
Kind of like they gave away some of the Roku.

I bet come Monday with all the Gannet stations are gone, Dish will be giving out the OTA USB adapter for the Hopper to anyone that calls for free. In other words the release date will be Monday if the stations are pulled.
Kind of like they gave away some of the Roku.

I've thought the same thing. Actually hoping it drops a for few days.

A couple of questions:

Is this threat to drop locals just an eastern-half-of-the-nation issue? I am seeing no messages about this on the west coast.

If you compare the auto-hop to regular DVR use, is it really that much difference in how many commercials the average user will see? Half of my family (not me) are going to watch "American Idol" live, and that is when the most commercials are watched, by necessity. If you wait until the auto-hop actually works, won't most users be using fast-forward anyway?

I live in the Phoenix area and our local NBC channel is part of the Gannett organization. They started announcing that Dish and Gannett are in a contract dispute and Dish will have to stop rebroadcasting the station come Monday morning if an agreement can't be reached.

Did Dish develop and release the USB OTA adapter they kept promising us Hopper customers. If so, are you able to record from it to the Hopper? If they haven't, is there something that can be used to watch/record my local station to my Hopper?

If these channels get yanked, dish should allow those affected to "move" to the next nearest non Gannett dma. Csr's could look up your spot beam info & be able to tell which dma would work based on the equipment you have. There are plenty of cable systems that have locals from 2 or more dma's, no reason dish couldn't do the same thing.

Gannett Television Stations

WFMY 2 CBS
ID: "News 2"
City: Greensboro, NC
Owner: Gannett
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 100 kw
Market: Greensboro-High Point-Winston-Salem
WGRZ 2 NBC
City: Buffalo, NY
Market: Buffalo
WLBZ 2 NBC
City: Bangor, ME
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 51.3 kw
Market: Bangor
KNAZ 2 NBC
ID: "KPNX / News 12"
City: Flagstaff, AZ
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 283 kW
WKYC 3 NBC
City: Cleveland, OH
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 868 kW
Market: Cleveland-Akron
KSDK 5 NBC
ID: "News Channel 5"
City: St. Louis, MO
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 838 kW
Market: St. Louis
WCSH 6 NBC
City: Portland, ME
Market: Portland-Auburn
KUSA 9 NBC
City: Denver, CO
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 45 kW
Market: Denver
WUSA 9 CBS
City: Washington, DC
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 12.6 kW
Market: Washington, DC
KXTV 10 ABC
ID: "News 10"
City: Sacramento, CA
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 34.5 kW
Market: Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto
WTSP 10 CBS
City: Saint Petersburg, FL
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 37 kW
Market: Tampa-St. Petersburg
WBIR 10 NBC
City: Knoxville, TN
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 316 kw
Market: Knoxville
KARE 11 NBC
City: Minneapolis, MN
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 27.1 kW
Market: Minneapolis-St. Paul
WXIA 11 NBC
ID: "11 Alive"
City: Atlanta, GA
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 80 kW
Market: Atlanta
KTHV 11 CBS
ID: "THV 11"
City: Little Rock, AR
Market: Little Rock-Pine Bluff
KPNX 12 NBC
ID: "12 News"
City: Mesa, AZ
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 40 kW
Market: Phoenix
WTLV 12 NBC
ID: "NBC 12"
City: Jacksonville, FL
Market: Jacksonville-Brunswick
WZZM 13 ABC
City: Grand Rapids, MI
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 257 kw
Market: Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek
WMAZ 13 CBS
City: Macon, GA
Market: Macon
WLTX 19 CBS
City: Columbia, SC
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 1000 kW
Market: Columbia, SC
KTVD 20
ID: "My 20"
City: Denver, CO
Market: Denver
WJXX 25 ABC
ID: "ABC 25"
City: Orange Park, FL
Market: Jacksonville-Brunswick
WATL 36
ID: "My ATL TV"
City: Atlanta, GA
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 500 kW
Market: Atlanta

So what can we do? Besides itch about this, like I have been doing.

Who can we call or send an email or letter too?

Anyone have and want to leak direct dial numbers for the top folks involved at Dish and Gannett? You pick your side as the truth is somewhere in the middle but if we the customers make our voices heard until they get tired of hearing from us and come to terms.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You can call both to bitch and moan, but honestly it does nothing more then aggravate the person answer the phone who is nowhere near the people who make the decisions.

And the people who make the decisions don't answer there own phone.

The best thing you can do actually is call the sponsors who air on those channels and let them know you can't see there add anymore because if this silly dispute.

Good tip thanks

Their are obviously plenty of local business that run commercials and who will answer their phones and will hopefully make a few calls themselves.

Why are the local businesses going to complain to Gannett? If you have the Hopper and perhaps another type of DVR you are skipping their commercials run during prime time. What the smart business owner is going to do is move their advertising to non prime time on locals or buy spots on another channel that isn't part of PTAT. That is what Gannett doesn't want to happen.

Haven't we been through enough of these treats over the past few years?!?
Loss of Disney/abc family HD's years ago.
Heritage in Michigan. Lost for a few days.
Inspiration network. Lost for a couple days.
Sportsnet in NY. Loss.
CBS/Viacom lost for 2 days.
FSN, FX, NGC threat. last year I Think
Big Ten threat
AMC, IFC loss
DISH at Home is just about done apparently.
Consistent lack of support for my 922.
Heck, I'm still bummed that WFN is no longer in HD.
And it's no different with DTV. They have threats of lost channels all the time as well.
IF I wasn't so Fond of my DVR in general, I would just give up and get the cheapest local "Cable" package I can get, and stream from Netflix and Amazon for everything else.
"Cutting the cord" would basically FORCE me to start watching all the Blu Rays I've bought over the years that are still in their original wrapping. Which would be a very good thing.
But I don't think I can go without DVR service. Which is really the only reason I'm still with DISH.

These disputes are way past old at this point. It's something almost every week, and I'm not seeing my bill come down that's for sure. And when you compare prices with other providers, Dish really can't say they are saving me $ either. Enough is enough, for the first time I finally called Dish and complained this morning

These disputes are way past old at this point. It's something almost every week, and I'm not seeing my bill come down that's for sure. And when you compare prices with other providers, Dish really can't say they are saving me $ either. Enough is enough, for the first time I finally called Dish and complained this morning
You should research other provider rates PAST their promo pricing, if that was the basis of your post.

Because those businesses are paying based on a set number of eyes based on the last ratings period. Yet quite a number of those eyes that they are paying for won't be able to see their ads. That's why.
Screw the local businesses. If we weren't so swamped with commercials it would be different. Viacom is adding an extra nine minutes to some of their half hour programs just so they can add nine more minutes of commercials. And on many channels sometimes you can see ten or more commercials in a row. Somehow this has got to stop. It's getting so I can't watch anything because there are so darned many commercials. And yes I can subscribe to a pay channel like HBO but they repeat their programs too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts