Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

Why am I not surprised that Gannett is asking for the moon on rate increases? This is the same company that thinks that access to just the website of one of their newspapers is worth $10/month... I can't imagine what they think access to a TV channel is worth.

I have hopper, with no OTA, so if I keep dish it's literally impossible for me to get my local NBC channel if it get's pulled next week.

Obviously false. You don't need Dish to get the OTA channels....

It seems to me if commercials were the primary concern of Gannett, they would not be taking themselves off of Dish. That certainly will guarantee those without OTA will not see their commercials. Remember, we are talking about a very small percentage who even have a Hoppa, and then who also use the skip feature is even less. So the vast percentage of customers who get their programming on Dish, do not have Hoppas, do not have the skip feature.
I conclude they could wait for the Court's decision, so this is about money.

And I'm sure (because I remember) the movie industry said having movies at home would destroy the movie industry.

and they adapted..
Commercial TV is stuck in the 50's. TV execs and station owners jealously and fiercely guard their advertising and territories like a Moray Eel.
The stupid irony is that, I can use this here computer with a few clicks listen to juts about any radio station or read any newspaper I wish. But a TV station? Oh you no good dirty bastard. Don't you even think about it!

I am on the edge of my DMA about 60 miles from DC so OTA antenna does not work for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You misunderstand. He didn't say he can't get locals, he says because the Hoppa has no OTA he can't get them. Two different things. If he could not get OTA the mention of having a Hoppa would have no relevance.

and they adapted..
Commercial TV is stuck in the 50's. TV execs and station owners jealously and fiercely guard their advertising and territories like a Moray Eel.
The stupid irony is that, I can use this here computer with a few clicks listen to juts about any radio station or read any newspaper I wish. But a TV station? Oh you no good dirty bastard. Don't you even think about it!
A couple more clicks and you can watch just about any network programs via the networks' own website, free and legally. Network affiliates' power in these negotiations is being hamstrung by their own networks. Just a thought.

Why am I not surprised that Gannett is asking for the moon on rate increases? This is the same company that thinks that access to just the website of one of their newspapers is worth $10/month... I can't imagine what they think access to a TV channel is worth.

Yep, that is what they did with the Courier-Journal web site here in Louisville....

Gee, DISH. Now it's not just Walking Dead but Sunday Night Football on WXIA Atlanta. I gotta say I'm thrilled. :(

OK, I normally ignore the "DISH losing channel XYZ" messages here, but this time I cannot:

KARE11, the NBC channel in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul), in in this Gannett group.

And I'm too far out, 42 miles, for OTA to work with my antenna.

And I cannot lose NBC now! So get your act together, DISH. Sande

I open my newspaper links using incognito window- I won't pay.

Pulling over auto hop what a waste. Do they think all of dish 14mil subs are hopper users?

With all the bugs and limited tuners many are hopping back to vip and getting some steller setups past the norm of 3 box limit

So, they want retransmission fees, but get pissed that auto hop is taking away revenue. These stations need to get their story strait. Either commercials bring in the revenue needed and retransmission fees are a total freaking joke. Or commercials don't pay the bills, retransmission fees are needed to make revenue, and stop crying about auto-hop. I know that I have flaws in my logic, just as why not having auto-hop for Comedy Central, RSNs, TBS, USA, etc. Well my deal is this, since the signal is given away for free, retransmission fees are a total joke. I made many analogies over this topic. My favorite is how cafeteria workers at schools will give lunches to students, but say said student doesn't like it and gives it to a friend, the lunch lady will force the friend to pay for the lunch. Listen, you gave it away for free. If the kid wants to eat it, throw it away, give it away, have a food fight with it, or blow his snots all over it is his decision. Once you gave it away you lose rights to cry and moan about how it is used.

So, they want retransmission fees, but get pissed that auto hop is taking away revenue. These stations need to get their story strait. Either commercials bring in the revenue needed and retransmission fees are a total freaking joke. Or commercials don't pay the bills, retransmission fees are needed to make revenue, and stop crying about auto-hop. I know that I have flaws in my logic, just as why not having auto-hop for Comedy Central, RSNs, TBS, USA, etc. Well my deal is this, since the signal is given away for free, retransmission fees are a total joke. I made many analogies over this topic. My favorite is how cafeteria workers at schools will give lunches to students, but say said student doesn't like it and gives it to a friend, the lunch lady will force the friend to pay for the lunch. Listen, you gave it away for free. If the kid wants to eat it, throw it away, give it away, have a food fight with it, or blow his snots all over it is his decision. Once you gave it away you lose rights to cry and moan about how it is used.

Last quarter they were doing just fine it seems in retransmission revenue.
" Retransmission revenues totaled $22.7 million, a 17.1 percent increase from the second quarter a year ago and television station digital revenues were 11.5 percent higher."

OK, I normally ignore the "DISH losing channel XYZ" messages here, but this time I cannot:

KARE11, the NBC channel in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul), in in this Gannett group.

And I'm too far out, 42 miles, for OTA to work with my antenna.

And I cannot lose NBC now! So get your act together, DISH. Sande

Don't you get it? Dish isn't the problem. It's Gannett. They want Autohop gone, and they want a 300% increase. When you give in to that kind of bullying, you end up with TV bills that are truly outrageous. Even more than they are now. It has to stop.

So they won't give in to bullying. That's fine. I assume they will be reducing my bill come Sunday night. This is getting ridiculous though.

Well this is one of the times that it affects me more than some of the other channel losses since I would be losing KUSA and they're the home of the Denver Broncos whom I'm enjoying watching this year. Fortunately for me I can pick up the station via OTA just fine and I already have an OTA module installed in my 722k. It'd be annoying if i lose my guide data for the channel but since I really only watch the Broncos on a regular basis on this channel along with the occasional show I should be able to deal with it. It does suck for others though that don't have these options and I hope that the dispute can be resolved quickly. It is pretty nuts though to ask for a 300% increase on top of disabling one of the main features of the main receiver that Dish promotes nowadays. Besides DVRs with 30 second skip have been around for quite a while now and it's not exactly hard to skip through all the commercials on a recorded program with a few quick button pushes.

So they won't give in to bullying. That's fine. I assume they will be reducing my bill come Sunday night. This is getting ridiculous though.

Old, tired response.The answer to your thought is, does Dish raise your package cost the day they add a channel? In fact, when was the last time the regular package prices have been raised?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts