Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

And I'm sure (because I remember) the movie industry said having movies at home would destroy the movie industry.

It looks like auto-skip may have come back to hop Dish in the butt. I was expecting it eventually, just not so soon.

I still think Dish should use it to leverage better rates. Offer to disable it on those channels that agree to fair carriage rates. These local OTA channels shouldn't be getting any money at all. It wasn't long ago they begged to be carried for free, and lobbied for must-carry laws.

I don't even use Auto-hop. So, I wouldn't miss it. Are people so lazy they can't use the 30-sec skip?

It looks like auto-skip may have come back to hop Dish in the butt. I was expecting it eventually, just not so soon.

I still think Dish should use it to leverage better rates. Offer to disable it on those channels that agree to fair carriage rates. These local OTA channels shouldn't be getting any money at all. It wasn't long ago they begged to be carried for free, and lobbied for must-carry laws.

I don't even use Auto-hop. So, I wouldn't miss it. Are people so lazy they can't use the 30-sec skip?

In that context, I might agree. But it still stifles innovation.

The FCC isn't about to step in and tell broadcast licensees that elect retrans consent what the fees will or won't be, and they shouldn't. That's not their role.

Who came up with negotiate in good faith?I thought it was the FCC.According to Gannett's demands that hardly represents good faith.

Reach an agreement already if they drop WUSA who do I sue for endangering my personal safety when I can't get local emergency notifications.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Maybe this is obvious to everyone else, but could you answer this for me? I'm unwilling to give up a major network channel and to be used as leverage by Dish. if they cancel one of the big 4 networks, would that allow me to cancel my contract without penalty? I have hopper, with no OTA, so if I keep dish it's literally impossible for me to get my local NBC channel if it get's pulled next week. I find this to be a breach in my agreement (though, admittedly have not read my contract) with my provider. Do we, as consumers that faithfully pay our bills each month, have any recourse if Gannett and Dish don't come to an agreement?

Being new to the forum I have read a lot of people posts. What I have come up with is Dish can drop all of your locals and most of your package channels. They can come to your house and do a little dance after they do it and your still stuck in a 24 month contract. I'm sure that goes for Direct and others.

All for a free DVR and a year of discounts. Then again I don't think anyone has taken something like this to court. I would love to see someone do it though.

Reach an agreement already if they drop WUSA who do I sue for endangering my personal safety when I can't get local emergency notifications.

I don't think you can sue anybody, but here are some good options.

1) Tune in one of the 14 other channels in our area that Dish carries.

2) I would not rely on satellite during an emergency. If you have a VIP receiver, you probably can put in an OTA antenna and get WUSA that way even if it goes dark on Dish.

If they go dark at midnight on Sunday that would mean the NFL games would be mia.

They are talking about pulling the plug on the 8th. That is AFTER this week's games. The rest of the season could be down the tubes but this weekend is OK.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

everytime one of these carriage disputes comes along someone brings up the subject of a class action lawsuit over lost programming. I would love to see someone follow through and actually file one.

Who said the weather channel?

I said weather RADIOS which last I checked gives weather updates all the time (I have two of them and they are great)

[h=1]Gannett to stop broadcasting on Dish if ad-skipping feature not removed[/h]
ri Oct 5, 2012 12:14am EDT

(Reuters) - Dish Network Corp said the broadcasting arm of newspaper publisher Gannett Co Inc has threatened to withdraw broadcasting on the satellite TV provider if it does not block the commercial-skipping feature on its digital video recorders or agree to pay massive penalties.

Dish's AutoHop feature on its Hopper DVR lets customers press one button to automatically skip commercials when they are watching recorded TV shows. Dish introduced its high-definition DVR called the Hopper earlier this year.

If Gannett Broadcasting lets the current broadcasting contract expire without renewal, Dish customers in 19 cities including Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Denver, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Phoenix and Sacramento would lose various ABC, CBS and NBC-affiliated stations, Dish said in a statement.

"Gannett's demands translate into more than a 300 percent rate increase, which would likely result in higher monthly fees for consumers."

Dish offered to pay Gannett market rates, including an increase of more than 200 percent above current rates, and offered to extend the transmission contract during negotiations, which Gannett has refused, the No. 2 satellite provider said.

Read the rest at: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/05/us-dish-gannett-idUSBRE89403I20121005
I gues these idiots think people actually watch commercials.
With me, it's the mute button or I switch channels. Commericials are so lame these days. And to honest, I cannot be "sold" anything. If I don't need it, I am not buying it. So even if the commercial has naked chicks in it, I still ain't buying.I don't even watch the Super Bowl commericials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)