Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

WUSA is still up, however I thought 11:59 tonight was the games up time? Do the powers that be really care that much about the customer to work on this thru the weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

WUSA is still up, however I thought 11:59 tonight was the games up time? Do the powers that be really care that much about the customer to work on this thru the weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

There is no working on this through the weekend. Either Dish agrees to disable Auto Hop or pay a huge rate increase or, as the Soup Nazi says, "No WUSA for you!!!" That's the ultimatum issues by Gannett and I'm sure it's a tactics all the other major broadcasters will employ as other carriage agreements expire.

SN2.jpg

While I haven't scrolled through all pages related to the topic, the main page says the channels will go off air Monday morning, not Sunday. Were they to go off today? Is there something I missed? Both WXIA and WATL are still up in Atlanta.

There is no working on this through the weekend. Either Dish agrees to disable Auto Hop or pay a huge rate increase or, as the Soup Nazi says, "No WUSA for you!!!" That's the ultimatum issues by Gannett and I'm sure it's a tactics all the other major broadcasters will employ as other carriage agreements expire.

View attachment 81629

Or - Gannett backs down....

If the locals and dish start finding themselves unable to come to reasonable agreements, might the Feds step in and force some sort of arbitration? My guess is if the Feds have to get involved, any FCC Broadcast license holder will get the shorter end of the stick.

I agree and said close to that before. I think Dish needs to get the Skip feature squared away as being legal. Once they do that it becomes easier. Gannett is trying to circumvent the Court by forcing this now. (Though in the end it's all about money for them - they'll take even more money and return let the Skip feature stay)
Should be considered illegal the problem goes away, until some other technology comes along, which it will.

While I haven't scrolled through all pages related to the topic, the main page says the channels will go off air Monday morning, not Sunday. Were they to go off today? Is there something I missed? Both WXIA and WATL are still up in Atlanta.
I though it was midnight tonight as well.

The Gannett crawl says "midnight Sunday." 12:00am Sunday should have been last night. Either they think the masses would misinterpret "midnight Monday" as Monday night, or they don't know any better themselves.

Its midnight TONIGHT (per Kare site)
Starting October 8, KARE11 may no longer be available on DISH.

KARE11 had a quick blurb after SNL (which gets done at 12:02 here) and said tonight you may lose Kare11 if you have Dish...then had the scroll during the next program

Last edited:
Well, my OTA Antenna's were wiped out by the big June storm here. Guess job one this week is to finally get it fixed. That's what I get for being lazy!

Was eating at a local sports bar, and watching Mountain West network (CSU vs FS), when I saw the Crawler about (local NBC affiliate and other local Gannet owned networks) being dropped on Dish Sunday at midnight. Now, I understand the purpose of the crawlers, but since Dish does not even carry The Mountain, what is the purpose of a Crawler that starts; "Attention Dish subscribers" on The Mountain?

PS, it was very crappy, distracting, and popped up a lot!
you must have been watching it on My20 in Denver which is owned by Gannett
(only stations carrying that game were TWCS Los Angeles, My20, and CSN Bay Area)

I don't understand why dish, or any other tv provider has to pay any local network to have the local netowork single "go through" dish's equipment when the single is free to start with over the air. Can somebody explain that?

Many of us here have discussed that in many threads, they are on the one hand protected by the FCC from any competition, and in exchange have to give a free signal. There are more than ever many places that signal does not reach. If not for Dish and other carriers, many would never see their signal. And on the other hand yet they charge to be on Cable/Satellite. In the strictest sense, Dish should be able to capture that free signal and retransmit it, as long as they were not charging anything over their cost to provide it. Like that's going to happen...
Some would say the locals should be paying the carriers....

Many of us here have discussed that in many threads, they are on the one hand protected by the FCC from any competition, and in exchange have to give a free signal. There are more than ever many places that signal does not reach. If not for Dish and other carriers, many would never see their signal. And on the other hand yet they charge to be on Cable/Satellite. In the strictest sense, Dish should be able to capture that free signal and retransmit it, as long as they were not charging anything over their cost to provide it. Like that's going to happen...
Some would say the locals should be paying the carriers....

Very good points.

That's where I have to give props to Charlie.He believes that locals should be free to carry.With autohop he fills justified.Either provide us with your channels for free with commercials or Dish will pay you and use autohop.The broadcasters have been getting their cake and eating too for many years now.I hope it changes but,it will be a hard fight to win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts