Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

Crawler is still up... I'm cancelling dish first thing tomorrow morning if NBC is gone. I unfortunately don't have an OTA signal for NBC, so cancelling and switching will be my only option to watch live.

I don't know whether I can do OTA or not for my locals, but I certainly shouldn't be forced to mount a huge antenna to my chimney and run wires and drill holes in my siding and all that.

Crawler is still up... I'm cancelling dish first thing tomorrow morning if NBC is gone. I unfortunately don't have an OTA signal for NBC, so cancelling and switching will be my only option to watch live.
You can always "move"...changing service to another city in your area spot beam. I have not done it but many here have. You could start a new thread in Dish forum, "How and where to "move" from (your city)" and why you want to. Someone will be able to tell you how to do it. Would save a lot of hassle changing providers.

Definitely worse if you have no OTA available. Can you get the programs you watch from NBC online for now and see how long this lasts?

I agree with those who say the compensation issue is backwards. The local stations should be paying the satellite and cable companies for extending their signals thus enhancing their coverage. Unfortunately that will never happen. I stand with Dish on this on While Dish has fought many battles over compensation the other providers have had their fights also. Time Warner recently settled with the NFL Network and is first carrying the channel after years and years and years after it came on the scene.

In Phoenix Gannett is charging to access its newspaper web site. I'll continue to watch Sunday Night Football OTA. Better yet I'll watch it from Channel 4 in Tucson OTA. Take that Gannett!

OTA doesn't necessarily mean big rooftop antennas any more. I have a small electronic antenna..the size of a router on my patio roof and get all the Phoenix stations...39 miles away...and most Tucson stations over 100 miles away.
Many small indoor antennas do a good job also. I've even used a paper clip with success.

If these local stations demands aren't challenged aggressively there will be no end in sight. GO DISH!

It depends of course where you live, in Ct. indoor ant would do next to nothing, but I am in a White Zone there anyway. (So I am able to get AAD in addition to my locals) I have an outdoor antenna but in the rafters of the garage, gets lots of channels... an indoor does get all but CBS of the networks.

These disputes always make me scratch my head at how attached people are to their shows. If you're willing to change your service provider over this, what are you going to do in six months when that new provider has a similar dispute? ALL "cable" and satellite providers have to go through the same negotiations every few years with every channel. If you don't see these publicly, it's because they worked out a deal sooner. I would also guess that the average monthly rate of those who give in sooner are higher than those who fight it longer.

As for loosing my NBC programming, meh. It's all on Hulu, I can just watch it there with my Boxee Box. How much commercial revenue is KUSA losing if I do that?

Based on past examples it seems like there's a pretty good chance that by the time you get all set up with someone else, this will already be over anyway.

So it sounds like in some markets Dish activated the "this is what dish says about gannett" loop on channel 10.
My dad just called me (shocked he finally saw the scroll on KARE11) asking "now what the hell is going on with channel 11 and dish?" and mentioned a lady talking about it on channel 10

He did the whole "I might have to change" mumble that he does all the time. But he hates change so I'm sure he can go without NBC for a few days.

Re: Dish / Gannett Dispute?

I'll bet you're that kid that always gave the schoolyard bully what he wanted.

You know, during football season, and during the season of most shows, I might consider swapping as well. Very few channels that I want, but the locals are on that short list.

If I couldn't get them through my service provider or ota, and didn't want to "move", I'd most likely switch as well. If it were my local cbs, no question.

And no, wasn't intimidated by any schoolyard bully. They were laughable Imo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with those who say the compensation issue is backwards. The local stations should be paying the satellite and cable companies for extending their signals thus enhancing their coverage.

The same argument could be made for any of the commercial-laden Cable Favorites like USA, TNT and ESPN. Why should distributors/consumers pay for something that is advertiser supported? If people don't like paying for broadcast network television, they should erect an OTA antenna and get it free-of-charge. If it weren't for the ESPNs and RSNs holding our local sports hostage, we could very-well live without cable/satellite. Heck, if we could purchase an Internet-based subscription service for commercial-laden ESPN, BTN and NBCSports Network when we could also dump cable/satellite...but no, we have subscribe to 200+ channels of garbage to watch the programming we value. The programming/distribution model is broke on all fronts - just not the network broadcasts.

The same argument could be made for any of the commercial-laden Cable Favorites like USA, TNT and ESPN. Why should distributors/consumers pay for something that is advertiser supported?

I'm beginning to come around to that thinking....

In Metro Atlanta and the NBC and one other station is owned by them. 2 years ago got my OTA. Glad I did. Run it through my Dish receiver so I can record programming. I believe last year Dish dropped Peachtree TV for a short while. Never missed a beat. What I am curious about is that NFL and Redzone are two OTA channels here that are currently parked. Anyway, I ran the scan and 60 OTA in Atlanta. Some aren't broadcasting, some are fringe for me and some mirror radio stations or are in Spanish. But there also are gems like Me-TV with horror host Svengoolie on Sat. nights. I expect only more of this so glad I went OTA. Plus the signal for more stations seem less compressed.

Re: Dish / Gannett Dispute?

Will be very interesting watch this unfold if they are off Dish overnight and a bunch of NFL cities face the prospect of missing NFL broadcast if they sub to Dish and OTA isn't a convenience for them. There's also all the shows that just came back too. I know our DVR is working overtime currently as we manage scheduling conflicts, both my parents and my family would be hurting without our locals and would likely have to buy equipment to receive them.

Personally I'd rather switch providers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Basically the same issues relating to Hopper commercial skipping. The NBC affiliate in Buffalo is saying ..... “Unfortunately, so far Dish has refused to reach a fair, market-based agreement with us. If a deal is not reached by midnight on Oct. 7,” the statement concluded, “Dish subscribers will lose access to WGRZ.”[/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)