Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got this in from SeekingAlpha.

The FCC has voted 3-2 to allow Dish Network (DISH) to use 40MHz. of spectrum to offer 4G services, sources tell Multichannel News. As expected, Dish will have to cap its power output for the portion of the spectrum that's near an adjacent band, in order to address interference worries. Now comes the tough part for Dish: deciding whether to spend billions to build a network on its own, or to partner with a Sprint or perhaps even a Google.

There's money to be made from selling data time, cell phone operators realized that some time ago. I don't know first hand, but I'm betting they make little money from actual cell phone voice use, and alot from text and data packages.

They will need to partner with an entity that is has experience in this area. That would be an existing cellular company such as Sprint, T-Mo, etc.

Partnering with Google would be a case of blind leading the blind through the cellular minefield. Sure, they could hire a cellular exec. But, they would just serve as a seeing-eye dog.

I would love to see them going with Google. Think of a Google phone getting updates without having VZ, ATT or Sprint in the middle of it. I would think that a Google-DISH system would be a unlimited data and not throttled. Look at what Google is trying to to in KC and DISH wouldn't have to worry about downloads to there receivers from it own network. Also DISH would want to make a big splash when they enter the market.

Now that Google has owned Motorola for a while they could make all of DISH/Google branded Phones and not pays other to do so.

Shawn

Last edited:
As expected, Dish will have to cap its power output for the portion of the spectrum that's near an adjacent band, in order to address interference worries.

Nuts! BTW Scott I can't get any of the links in your OP to work.

Partnering with Google would be a case of blind leading the blind through the cellular minefield. Sure, they could hire a cellular exec. But, they would just serve as a seeing-eye dog.

I fundamentally disagree with this.

They will have to partner with someone obviously.Google is such a massive entity these days imo that might be the best choice.

They will need to partner with an entity that is has experience in this area. That would be an existing cellular company such as Sprint, T-Mo, etc.

Yes and no. Blind leading the blind, but it could also lead to a much different direction.

If they partner with anyone but Verizon in my neck of the woods, they won't sell a single contract. V and Carolina West have all of the marbles around here.

I never understood why sprint is not in that area.

I could see them going with Google because it just feels like something they would do, however I am in the camp that believes going with a company like sprint would yield better results.

If they partner with anyone but Verizon in my neck of the woods, they won't sell a single contract. V and Carolina West have all of the marbles around here.

I'm in Illinois and outside of larger cities the Sprint service sucks. I tried it for a year as it was lots cheaper, but I'm now back to reliable Verizon. I suspect Dish's venture will be city centric as well regardless with whom they partner. Economics favors population density.

I think that Carolina West owns most, if not all of the towers here, and are already in bed with VZ. In Boone, IIRC, you can get ATT and Sprint, but the coverage is pathetic.

Exactly.Carolina west has as close to a monopoly here as can be.Stinks but what can ya do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)