DISH gets FCC Approval

The big issue with Phone manufacturing is that they have to create multiple versions of the same phone to work on all the proprietary networks. Thats the reason Nexus 4 only words on GSM .. it's an easily accessed network.

Verizon uses two networks at the same time on any of the 4G phones.. CDMA for Voice and 3G and LTE for 4G.
Google made a decision to skip Big Red because Verizon is the very expensive, very proprietary Frankenstein of the industry.

GSM stands for "Global System for Mobile" .. it's the most widely used system in the world... so it's a lot less expensive for Google to develop phones for the majority of the world and pay someone else to develop phones that run their OPEN SOURCE OS to push their product in those more challenging micro-environments.
I'm familiar with cellular standards. And, none of what you wrote has anything to do with the fact Google has Samsung, LG, and Asus currently manufacture their Google Nexus-branded products, as opposed to having Motorola manufacture them.

As you should.. I'd rather see Google and Dish than Sprint and Dish.

Team Google!
Team Whichever-brand-or-product-best-serves-my-intended-use!
I will choose whichever brand and product suits me best. But, I will have no emotional attachment to any brand or product. That's just creepy.
Ironically, I have a personal connection to Google. Yet, I still expect them to earn my "business".

And, none of what you wrote has anything to do with the fact Google has Samsung, LG, and Asus currently manufacture their Google Nexus-branded products, as opposed to having Motorola manufacture them.
Does Motorola actually "manufacture" phones or do they out-source the production ? Also, having a single-source supplier is rarely a good idea. Finally, and I'm not sure how long Google has owned Motorola, but it can take a long time to switch manufacturers.

Google purchased Moto Mobility like 6 months ago... Asus and Google have been working together on various projects (Google Chrome Netbook) for quite some time .. pre-moto merger, so it makes sense that the Nexus series came from Asus.

I think you just like to argue... why? I have no idea.

That said, Google purchased Moto's patent portfolio.... that just so happened to come with an entire mobility company.

Regarding brand-identification: WTF are you talking about? I like the company and hope for good things much the same way I would for a sports team.

I think you just like to argue... why? I have no idea.
No. I just have no problem offering a differing opinion, and explaining the logic behind it.

Regarding brand-identification: WTF are you talking about?
It's pretty clear. It's a brand, a company, not a sports team, or a member of the family, or a friend. So, to have an emotional attachment to one is just plain weird to me. I find fanboyism to be a form of neurosis.

I like the company and hope for good things much the same way I would for a sports team.
I have no idea why people do that. It makes no sense.
I like Google, too, as far as a human should rationally like a corporate entity. (And, for additional personal reasons.) But, it's still just a company. And, the stuff it makes are just products.

Does Motorola actually "manufacture" phones or do they out-source the production ? Also, having a single-source supplier is rarely a good idea. Finally, and I'm not sure how long Google has owned Motorola, but it can take a long time to switch manufacturers.
Almost all companies outsource some or all of their manufacturing, including Samsung, LG, Asus, and most famously Apple. They are still products of those companies.

Personally, I think Google has shied away from using their Motorola division to keep from alienating their Android partners. They see what Samsung has been able to do to Apple's dominance, and don't want them to do the same towards Android. Sure, Samsung currently makes some Windows phones. But, it currently doesn't appreciably eat into Android sales. However, if Samsung were to drop Android, and put the same energy behind Windows phones, Google would be very concerned.

I think more likely we will see some Android/GoogleTV activity coming from Motorola in the set-top box arena.

Sprint already had the cell phone infrastructure and can expand from there with an influx of money from Dish which would help both sides.

Just got this in from SeekingAlpha.

The FCC has voted 3-2 to allow Dish Network (DISH) to use 40MHz. of spectrum to offer 4G services, sources tell Multichannel News. As expected, Dish will have to cap its power output for the portion of the spectrum that's near an adjacent band, in order to address interference worries. Now comes the tough part for Dish: deciding whether to spend billions to build a network on its own, or to partner with a Sprint or perhaps even a Google.
If Dish partners with Sprint, the service will miss a lot of people.
The "Clear" wireless internet service has been a flop for this very reason. Clear uses Sprint towers off which to broadcast it's signals.
At my location, near a major highway in a suburban community, Sprint simply does not work. The closest tower is less than two miles away. Yet, there is a "hole" in Sprint's coverage which is quite large.
My neighbor across the street is a Sprint employee. In order for his work phone to receive and make calls from his home, he has had to install an Air Rave device.
And with that, the signal is sketchy.
MY business partner, has Sprint service. His phone is forever dropping calls. He can't drive for 5 mins without finding a Sprint dead zone.
Dish/Sprint...say it ain't so.

Does that mean we will finally get 4g coverage in my area and most of the US, or will it be added some time in the future?

4G.....HA!! I look at VZW's 4G map for where I live and it indicates 4G coverage is available.
Does it work? Not really.
4G works best when one is located within a short distance of a tower AND traffic is minimal. Other than that, 4G is just a bunch of hype.

No. I just have no problem offering a differing opinion, and explaining the logic behind it.

Absolutely no problem with people offering differing opinions .. it's all about the tact of delivery, friend.

It's pretty clear. It's a brand, a company, not a sports team, or a member of the family, or a friend. So, to have an emotional attachment to one is just plain weird to me. I find fanboyism to be a form of neurosis.

Case in point.. by implying that I have a mental disorder because I'd like to see Google do good as a company is poor form.

I have no idea why people do that. It makes no sense.
I like Google, too, as far as a human should rationally like a corporate entity. (And, for additional personal reasons.) But, it's still just a company. And, the stuff it makes are just products.

Logic: The fact that anyone has access to their source-code and is able to be ACTIVE in the development of those technologies without being subject to copyright infringement or legal repercussions is awesome. And I'm not going to get into the philanthropic impact Google has.

I'm a big fan of Seva.. a charity... Does that make me sick?

Listen, I understand the points you are making. It's misguided for people to identify with what they have or what they drive, or what name brand they have stamped on their T-Shirt. Identifying with anything but what's inside yourself is dangerous, because in the end, you will have nothing to identify with but the gaping hole where your heart should be. That said, this type of thinking (in my narcosistic mind) is not paralleled to understanding and even "rooting" for an altruistic momentum a corporation has. From what I'm seeing, Google is doing good for the world.

Dish has to start somewhere and this would be a big jump start without having to start from scratch. They can expand the toweres that they are on to increase their coverage area. Better than starting with zero towers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)