Dish grounding question, 2 ground rods

Status
Please reply by conversation.

keyfinder

Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Hi. I will have a new install but have a question about dish grounding? I will not be able to use the service entrance ground at the site of the dish installation. I will have to use a second ground rod because it is about 150 ft away from the service entrance ground. From what I have read, I will have to link both ground rods together. Would it be ok to use 8 awg ground wire to link both ground rods together, or should I use 4 awg as NEC code suggest ?

Thanks for any info.

Hi. I will have a new install but have a question about dish grounding? I will not be able to use the service entrance ground at the site of the dish installation. I will have to use a second ground rod because it is about 150 ft away from the service entrance ground. From what I have read, I will have to link both ground rods together. Would it be ok to use 8 awg ground wire to link both ground rods together, or should I use 4 awg as NEC code suggest ?

Thanks for any info.

You should contact your local building department and ask them what they require.

I don't have an NEC handy at the moment, I'll check later. I thought the requirement was #6 wire to bond ground rods together. If the NEC requires #4 wire, then use #4. The advantage would be the ability to use that ground rod for other applications later. I can see why you would want to use #8. 150' of #4 wire is not going to be cheap.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.