DISH Guarantees $250 Savings to Satellite Pay-TV Customers Who Switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'll settle for converting my patio in an Arizona room, and installing a TV and bathroom+ bar in there. That would leave me a very happy Chad

But not on price. In fact, they have been "loudly" silent on this one point because they know they can't counter on price.
You likely won't get a response from Mitch, as Scott finally found his can of Troll-Away. It was lost under all his Fox News memorabilia.

While you can use a generic TIVO with Mediacom, they swear that if you do you lose some of the functionality that they offer in their 'made for cable' TIVO unit they rent. 4-tuners, 500Gb HD and NO support for external HD though it could be if MC didn't disable it.

I think they charge about $25 a month for it but I could certainly be misremembering.

Their other DVR offering is the pits.

But I will say that most I've talked to around here that have them, have been overall pleased (or at least tolerant) of their service if not their cost. To manage cost with them you have to argue about every two years, and I do mean 'argue' as they aren't the easiest to get stuff from after the contract is up.
And TiVo is very careful to point people to the MSO TiVo product as TiVo doesn't want to PO the MSO and because the MSO TiVo is better for TiVo's numbers and profits. The MSO models ARE the present and future of TiVo--even after their patents expire. TiVo has ALWAYS, from day one, crawled as far up the MSO colon it can and out their throat, with TiVo subscribers coming second.

The bad thing about the MSO TiVo's is they almost universally lack all the most state-of-the art and most powerful features the Retail TiVo's offer that make TiVo among the best DVR's: No transfer and/or steaming from one TiVo box to another (in another room); not compatable with the RETAIL Mini client that comes with NO monthly fees (must instead RENT the MSO Mini if offered at all); no access to over-the-top content such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, and podcasts downloaded to the HDD, etc.; no compatibility with TiVo Stream, a feature that comparable to Dish's Sling feature; I know there are more because I had them in my head but forget them while writing. But the point is that MSO TiVo's are quite neutered compared to the full feature retail TiVo and with no Lifetime option for saving money down the road.

Why? Because they already know your credit is good and you have demonstrated you pay your bills.

It's cheaper to give you a $200 gift card, to someone they already know instead of Joe Six pack who needs some tv because he didn't pay his cable bill
So this is why DirecTV is still #2 and Dish is still #3 largest in subscriber count, and have been for years compared to all cable Cos. with only one cable company in the top 3: Comcast. Yeah, things are real bad for satellite.

Problem with Comcast and the other major cable providers, is they force the telephone on you. The double play would work for most, since the cell phone. The telephones just carry far to many taxes. I had one last year for a couple months, the plan was $9.99, the taxes made it $23.99(give or take a dollar), which was ridiculous.
Most correct. I would have to bundle at triple pay to POSSIBLEY save a LITTTLE BIT of money for what I get today, but for that meager savings I also get the crappy cable co DVR (in my area back to a seperate DVR for each room and in every other way inferior to Hopper or Genie) and pay the FULL fees for each DVR and OTHER fees that, upon adding it all up, actually cost me MORE than my top tier package, premium with several add-ons and 2 Hoppers and many Joeys--and that is getting from cable what I get today from Dish. Now, as much as I would LOVE to have the option of FiOS, it works out to being a bit more than $20 per month MORE expensive for the same programming and comparable equipment I get with Dish, but the savings with a bundle disappears once the bundles are added on top.

FWIW: I have Ooma, and even cable telephone can't come close to the massive savings with Ooma (and far more and powerful features). So the cable co would expect me to increase my monthly phone bill 3 to 4 times what it is today for a "savings" bundle. Then I have to add the ISP to that, as well, and that kills the bundled "savings". For me, my current set-up of Dish for TV, Ooma for phone, and cable co for ISP (I have NO OTHER CHOICE for broadband--certainly not since the FCC's new definition of broadband) actually works at CHEAPER than if I dared to bundle with the cable co--and get the cable co crap DVR and other problems. I'm glad if some people do save money on bundling, but I think many people don't really run the numbers or feel wedded to a bundle just for the notion it is a cost saving move, while often complaining about how bad their cable TV service is.

Reactions: Tampa8
Comcast was here way before Dish or Directv
Right, and so you are complementing Dish and Direct for having achieved such stature as #2 and #1 in a far shorter time of existence and doing so having come so late to the MVPD party and with more satisfied customers and even with Comcast's might Xfinity solution?

Right, and so you are complementing Dish and Direct for having achieved such stature as #2 and #1 in a far shorter time of existence and...
Dish and Directv are the size they are because they are nationwide - they are available everywhere in the continental US. Cable companies used to be "local" businesses and maybe to some degree, regional.

The bad thing about the MSO TiVo's is they almost universally lack all the most state-of-the art and most powerful features the Retail TiVo's offer that make TiVo among the best DVR's: No transfer and/or steaming from one TiVo box to another (in another room); not compatable with the RETAIL Mini client that comes with NO monthly fees (must instead RENT the MSO Mini if offered at all); no access to over-the-top content such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, and podcasts downloaded to the HDD, etc.; no compatibility with TiVo Stream, a feature that comparable to Dish's Sling feature; I know there are more because I had them in my head but forget them while writing. But the point is that MSO TiVo's are quite neutered compared to the full feature retail TiVo and with no Lifetime option for saving money down the road.

Some errors or at least they are with Mediacom. TIVO on Mediacom has some OTT content notably missing Netflix, but Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus are there and a couple more.

They claim they will have the streaming at some point since the Pace MG1 actually does support it. The claim is that it only works in the house and not from a remote connection as Dish's HWS will allow you to do.

As to the Minis, after looking around a bit last night, it seems there is a monthly on the retail Minis too these days. $1.50 I think.

I'm supposed to meet with a Mediacom rep today unless he backs out because of the 5" of snow on the ground. From my research it seems I can save about $50/month 1st year and $30/month 2nd year over Dish/Direct. I'd get all the channels I actually do watch, including all the premiums even though the total HD channel count isn't as high as either D* or E*.

Dish and Directv are the size they are because they are nationwide - they are available everywhere in the continental US. Cable companies used to be "local" businesses and maybe to some degree, regional.
They are the size they are because cable was SOOOOO BAAAAADDDD! Both sat services were so greatly superior to cable, including customer services, that both Dish and DirecTV poached from cable, NOT many first time payTV customers except for rural, but the big numbers for sat in actually in areas served by cable TV. Competition and superior PQ and everything else from sat is why they are big.

When I first subbed to Dish in 2001 or thereabouts, our cable operator had 2 cables with 60 analog channels each! PQ was pretty bad (slightly snowy) on all channels, whereas Dish was perfect.

The main reason I took satellite tv in the first place was PRICE and because they had more channels and the picture quality was 100% better. My old cable company when I moved in 95 only had around 25 channels with locals included and it sold for $45.00 a month. Went with DISH in 96 and paid around $19.99 a month and got double the amount of channels and the pq was great. Now I stay with DISH because of the price -still lower than cable and the superior equipment :hopper/joey. Picture Quality is still great compared to cable. I also have Time Warner Cable run to my computer for internet. I split it to two runs and ran to my tv in my computer room on another input. I checked to see the quality of the picture and it hadn't changed . Some were great ,some were fuzzy, some were really bad and interesting enough, some of my ota channels were there too, inserted over the cable complete with signal strength antenna in the corner of the screen. I still would stay with DISH every time over cable.