Dish guide listed midnight Olympics "closing party" as a rerun.

Doppy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
So what I learned at the end of my recording of the closing ceremonies is that a part 2 entitled closing party aired at midnight. However the dish guide did not list that program as the closing party, instead as a rerun of the london gold special that aired at 7. I know dish doesn't program these guides, but whoever does is to blame. Most importantly where can I watch this online? Legally if available or in justifiable reasons like this, illegally.

Doppy said:
So what I learned at the end of my recording of the closing ceremonies is that a part 2 entitled closing party aired at midnight. However the dish guide did not list that program as the closing party, instead as a rerun of the london gold special that aired at 7. I know dish doesn't program these guides, but whoever does is to blame. Most importantly where can I watch this online? Legally if available or in justifiable reasons like this, illegally.

It was listed correctly in my guide. Even marked as new.

For watching it legally go to NBcolympics.com

It was listed correctly in my guide. Even marked as new.

For watching it legally go to NBcolympics.com
It's too bad it isn't available in the US from the BBC website. Their coverage is said to be much better, which I don't doubt. NBC didn't even include Ray Davies' Waterloo Sunset, said to be a high point of the ceremony. The Who segment in the "party" seemed awfully short, as well, which leads me to believe it may have been truncated by NBC. Plus, the Macy's Parade style banter from the hosts was typically awful, as it was during the opening ceremonies.

I'm gonna check on ways to access the BBC web stream via some kind of proxy. Worst case, my older son who lives in London, can rip a copy from the BBC website.

It's too bad it isn't available in the US from the BBC website. Their coverage is said to be much better, which I don't doubt. NBC didn't even include Ray Davies' Waterloo Sunset, said to be a high point of the ceremony. The Who segment in the "party" seemed awfully short, as well, which leads me to believe it may have been truncated by NBC. Plus, the Macy's Parade style banter from the hosts was typically awful, as it was during the opening ceremonies.

I'm gonna check on ways to access the BBC web stream via some kind of proxy. Worst case, my older son who lives in London, can rip a copy from the BBC website.

From what I understand from some folks I follow on Twitter, Ray Davies of The Kinks and Muse were cut. The Who was held over until the late night program but their performance then was really short so parts of it might have been cut too. I don't know if they are put back in for the repeat broadcast after NBC did this retrospective show of some of the athletes and the games as a whole to officially close out their coverage.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the live streams NBC was showing online and in the mobile apps that weren't simulcasts of cable channels might have been some generic commentary done by some British folks, like an International feed so to speak. There were times when I would watch events live and then a couple hours later see NBC prime-time switch over to those events and the commentary was different with more hyper-critical American sounding commentators. Watching the closing ceremonies "raw" like that was more enjoyable, but the audio sounded like it wasn't hooked into the audio feed or something. It was like you were picking it up through someone's mic. And the commentators didn't banter much back and forth and pretty much just told you who was performing. The audio wasn't like that during the NBC Prime-time showing.

Whatever that spectacle was last night, looked like the producers had dropped some bad acid. The John Lennon face was *almost* as creepy as the giant baby from the opening.

I watched the closing ceremony specifically to see the Who. Although the performance was ballyhooed the entire show, it was only after the torche(s) were extinguished that Costas announced the Who would appear "in about an hour" during the "after closing party" broadcast. Bait and switch IMO plus with ads included as a bonus. The Dish listing guide only had a repeat of the previous final events and the closing ceremony listings so were no help at all in indicating when the Who would finally appear. The 2 and 1/2 hours were just OK, then, at 10 PM, they ran one of their crappy sitcoms until the local news started 20 minutes later (apparently because the sitcom ran without ads), so I just set the DVR on record with manual stop and ran an errand, coming back about an hour and a half later. Did a rewind of the recording and saw that the Who appeared just after the news. After watching it, it was fairly obvious that the performance was edited (at the end for sure, but possibly other places as well?).

So if I had followed the listings and DVRed the closing ceremony, I would have missed the Who entirely. Now I find out they edited out another performance I was interested in, Ray Davies' "Waterloo Sunset" all together according to others, a highlight of the evening. What a lousy way to run a network... If this year is a guideline, I certainly hope NBC isn't given any Olympic broadcast rights in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts