dish guy at door

There is no such way to drop a customer's bill in half like that. I see no way how that guy would know what the customer was paying already. He could easily save someone $50 if they were switching providers but I see no way possible to save an existing customer that much unless they lowered their programming.

My experience with door to door satellite sales is that they are very shady.

You just feel that way because they take business away from you and your retail store.

And hell, Dish corporate is very shady with the things they do sometimes.....

We routinely see ATT UVerse salespeople, Time Warner salespeople, utility re-sellers (want you to switch from one natural gas supplier to them or electrical supplier to them), and so on.

You just feel that way because they take business away from you and your retail store.

I feel that way because they have bad business practices. The ones in our area sell Dish and Direct. They like to flip customers which is a huge no no. Dish will cut you off if you get caught flipping customers.

Why would I want out of town companies coming into my hometown and selling a product that I offer? Especially when they are not completely honest with the customer.

You know, people DO make a living selling door-to-door. Are you old coots too afraid of everything these days, or what?

Yep, some guy probably trying to make a living. Some people just over react way too much. Just take a chill pill and tell the salesmen that you are not interested and have a good day. No need to call the swat team out.

yaz96 said:

What is the deal with the attitude?

Where is the unlike button?

garys said:
Dish doesn't come door to door. You did right by sending him away. I'd also notify police.

You read my mind. I've gotten harassed by the three different Cable companies in the area (Comcast, Verizon, and RCN). But I never have seen door to door sales reps for either Satellite company in my area.

Now over the phone is different. It took Dish retailers 2 years of my repeated reminders of how I subscribe to Dish to stop trying to sell me Dish.

As for those stupid mailers, those have DirecTV and cable written all over them.

What is the deal with the attitude?

Where is the unlike button?

Maybe peoples' over-reaction of taking pictures and calling the police started it all....

And then questioning what the guy was offering. The commenters here HAVE NO IDEA what kind of offers he had available.

And maybe he was gonna "flip" the customer, who knows, but it's GOOD for the customer and he gets new equipment and saves 50 bucks a month. If the salesman wants to take that risk you all are talking about, that's up to him isn't it? The customer still wins.....

And Scherrmann admitted he didn't like the competition, so I was correct. Maybe he should get his own sales team together and canvas the area to drum up some business himself.

Last edited:
You read my mind. I've gotten harassed by the three different Cable companies in the area (Comcast, Verizon, and RCN). But I never have seen door to door sales reps for either Satellite company in my area.

They've been here in my neighborhood, and the DIRT Team even said they have salesman (in this thread)(heck, in the very next post, even).

Just because you've never seen it, it doesn't exist???????

Last edited:
yaz96 said:
You're wrong, too. They've been here in my neighborhood, and the DIRT Team even said they have salesman (in this thread).

Just because you've never seen it, it doesn't exist???????

Ok who crapped in this guy's Coco Pebbles this morning? I just opened the thread and connected with a post. Don't worry won't let it happen again, for the sake of having you barking in my face like R. Lee Ermy in Full Metal Jacket.

And, can I use your question to replace the old tired "if a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a noise"?

Slightly on-topic:

Was a little surprised to hear a BBB rep on local radio recommend never answering a knock at the door. I usually don't just out of pure laziness or to avoid an unsolicited sales pitch, but always wonder later if it might have been a neighbor. When I try to contact someone in the neighborhood, more times than not they answer, and I think it a bit odd if they don't, especially if it looks like they're home.

Slightly on-topic:

Was a little surprised to hear a BBB rep on local radio recommend never answering a knock at the door. I usually don't just out of pure laziness or to avoid an unsolicited sales pitch, but always wonder later if it might have been a neighbor. When I try to contact someone in the neighborhood, more times than not they answer, and I think it a bit odd if they don't, especially if it looks like they're home.

I don't answer either, usually if I go to the door we have a thin window next to the door, if I see it's a salesperson I walk away.

Ok who crapped in this guy's Coco Pebbles this morning? I just opened the thread and connected with a post. Don't worry won't let it happen again, for the sake of having you barking in my face like R. Lee Ermy in Full Metal Jacket...

Don't take it personal, it's just his M.O.

And that's a reasonable way to deal with it, if you don't want to talk to him, not taking pictures and calling police......
Actually some areas require solicitors to be registered with the city/municipality, ie in an attempt to prevent fraud... and these municipalities recommend asking to see their certification to solicit and if they can not show it, that you should call the police.

It looks like you'll need to expand your anger to target those municipalities as well. ;)

Yep, some guy probably trying to make a living. Some people just over react way too much. Just take a chill pill and tell the salesmen that you are not interested and have a good day. No need to call the swat team out.

Which is pretty much what the OP did.

Although I have no doubt that these guys "exist", personally, I have never had one knock on my door, and if they did, like any other door to door salesman, I would tell them I am not interested, and to leave.

While I am not paraniod, I am cautious with complete strangers wanting to come into my home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)