DISH has lost 420,000 subs so far this year

Technically, mirroring is viewing the same program/tuner on 2 or more different TVs, not an independent feed. It's more properly called an outlet with independent viewing.

Reactions: navychop
While we're on the Tivo subject, just curious. Does Tivo still allow you to offload recordings to your PC or other devices, like storing files on a NAS? Or has the content owners locked that down as well?

While we're on the Tivo subject, just curious. Does Tivo still allow you to offload recordings to your PC or other devices, like storing files on a NAS? Or has the content owners locked that down as well?

Yes, as long as it's not flagged. HBO and other premium channels you can't, but most standard channels you can. That's another nice benefit, I don't have to use my Hauppage for most things I want to save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the cable company and how the local engineer has flagged the channels. Charter seems to have everything (not sure on locals) flagged as copy once, so no transfers. Mine it is just the premiums. I transfer some things to my computer and edit the commercials out and then store on the NAS.

My number 1 channel is NBCSN for F1 and IndyCar, and it looks like that channel is not available in the flex pack. Neither is BBC America, my wife's number 1 channel. Seems like an ok idea, but wouldn't have worked for us.
BBC America is frequently in free preview, if you can live with only getting it during the free previews. There will be yet another free preview of BBC America that starts later this month and lasts until mid-March.

BBC America is frequently in free preview, if you can live with only getting it during the free previews. There will be yet another free preview of BBC America that starts later this month and lasts until mid-March.

For me, it doesn't matter as I've already switched away from dish. And I couldn't convince the wife to accept it part time.

Video providers will end up like the town i live in. Our city loses 3000 residents per year. We are down to 40,000 left approx. Our fees and city tax raises every year substantially. It is to the point it is not really worth living here anymore. It will drive more people out at faster rates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the SatelliteGuys app!

Video providers will end up like the town i live in. Our city loses 3000 residents per year. We are down to 40,000 left approx. Our fees and city tax raises every year substantially. It is to the point it is not really worth living here anymore. It will drive more people out at faster rates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the SatelliteGuys app!

Unfortunately, your state- West Virginia has the highest rate of outbound movers of any state in the Union, per an article I saw yesterday. My state, Kansas, is 5th.

Reactions: truckracer
If you are looking for endless BBC and other British TV, get a Roku and download the XTV or FIlmOn channels from the Private channel list. Both are totally free and they carry a lot of UK fare. Not BBC America, but most of the BBC fare from the UK. You can do a Google search of Private Roku channels. There is a goldmine there in interesting channel apps.

Simple, any contract or agreement will cover the condition that "lifetime" simply isn't applicable if the company goes away. Besides, companies always come up with creative definitions of "lifetime". They have tied it to the lifetime of a piece of equipment, what they consider an 'acceptable' lifetime, and so on.

If Sirius closes up, who is there to sue ?

Look at how many people got screwed paying for lifetime with Sky Angel.

That's the one thing about Tivo that kept me away from it. Either pay the exorbitant monthly fee, or a lump sum lifetime fee, which is/was basically 2 years worth of fees upfront. Now there is not even a choice anymore. You pay $300-$400 for essentially a $150 box + another $150-$250 "all-in" fee. If I didn't like the service or the equipment, I'd be out all that money, or have to live with it for a year or two just to justify the cost, unless I was lucky enough to recoup some of the cost by reselling it.
Agree 100%
Tivo are great,
Still think the Roamio Pro was the best DVR I've ever used.
No doubt the Bolt is even better

BUT its just hard to stomach paying for, when electronics only have a few year lifespan before failure or obsolete.

And you only have 1 provider to choose from in many cases.
Monthly fee wise, it would save me $50 a month in cable fees.
But it would also cost me over $1400 to save me $50 a month.
And pray nothing happens in 3 years or more when I finally break even.

Just to do it all over again when it does break.

There is a reason Tivo sales are not very strong.
Sorry but they are way too expensive.
If you can buy a Hopper 3 for less than $275 there is absolutely no reason a base 6 Tuner Bolt Pro shouldn't be right around the same price point or less.
$530 w/tax, without lifetime.
GIMMIE A BREAK son.

Agree 100%
Tivo are great,
Still think the Roamio Pro was the best DVR I've ever used.
No doubt the Bolt is even better

BUT its just hard to stomach paying for, when electronics only have a few year lifespan before failure or obsolete.

And you only have 1 provider to choose from in many cases.
Monthly fee wise, it would save me $50 a month in cable fees.
But it would also cost me over $1400 to save me $50 a month.
And pray nothing happens in 3 years or more when I finally break even.

Just to do it all over again when it does break.

There is a reason Tivo sales are not very strong.
Sorry but they are way too expensive.
If you can buy a Hopper 3 for less than $275 there is absolutely no reason a base 6 Tuner Bolt Pro shouldn't be right around the same price point or less.
$530 w/tax, without lifetime.
GIMMIE A BREAK son.

What electronics are you using that have such short lifespans? The main failure of a DVR is the hard drive, and those are easily replaced. In fact, I bought the 500GB TiVo and immediately put in my own 3TB drive.

At this point, other than the TiVos and my Xbox One, every TV, amp, blu ray, etc. is pushing 8yrs old or older.

Also, "prices" on satellite receivers are basically meaningless, as they are tied only to one provider, and that price is subsidized by the fees. That price would mean much more if I could buy it and not have to pay fees to use it.

What electronics are you using that have such short lifespans? The main failure of a DVR is the hard drive, and those are easily replaced. In fact, I bought the 500GB TiVo and immediately put in my own 3TB drive.

At this point, other than the TiVos and my Xbox One, every TV, amp, blu ray, etc. is pushing 8yrs old or older.

Also, "prices" on satellite receivers are basically meaningless, as they are tied only to one provider, and that price is subsidized by the fees. That price would mean much more if I could buy it and not have to pay fees to use it.

So now I have to replace a Hardrive in a $800 receiver?
There's another example of an expense.
I wouldn't put a 500 GB hard drive in a Bolt Plus either.

What you seem to leave out is these Receivers run 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
PS2s or what ever an 8year old Playstation would be is not running constantly.
Clearly you aren't a gamer because you would have the latest technology.
The technology changes 2-3 times per decade.
Which also supports my beef with paying ridiculous amounts of DVR equipment for TV viewing.
When in 3 years you don't even know whats going to be out.

Blu Ray players and audio receivers don't have hard drives and the technology in both, hasn't changed a fraction of the DVR technology.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
So now I have to replace a Hardrive in a $800 receiver?
There's another example of an expense.
I wouldn't put a 500 GB hard drive in a Bolt Plus either.

What you seem to leave out is these Receivers run 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
PS2s or what ever an 8year old Playstation would be is not running constantly.
Clearly you aren't a gamer because you would have the latest technology.
The technology changes 2-3 times per decade.
Which also supports my beef with paying ridiculous amounts of DVR equipment for TV viewing.
When in 3 years you don't even know whats going to be out.

Blu Ray players and audio receivers don't have hard drives and the technology in both, hasn't changed a fraction of the DVR technology.

Yes, as stated earlier, buying equipment with lifetime is not for the person who has to have the latest every year or three. Renting and paying fees is the way to go. The same holds for phones. T-Mo jump is much better if you always have to have the latest. I'm perfectly happy with my 4yr old iPhone 5.

I do game, though not much, and my XB1 works perfectly on my Samsung LCD from 2008. Our main TV is my Philips 30" HDCRT from 2003, and we're perfectly happy with it. For those who are price conscious, and can live with slightly older tech, lifetime can be a much better deal.

Yes, as stated earlier, buying equipment with lifetime is not for the person who has to have the latest every year or three. Renting and paying fees is the way to go. The same holds for phones. T-Mo jump is much better if you always have to have the latest. I'm perfectly happy with my 4yr old iPhone 5.

I do game, though not much, and my XB1 works perfectly on my Samsung LCD from 2008. Our main TV is my Philips 30" HDCRT from 2003, and we're perfectly happy with it. For those who are price conscious, and can live with slightly older tech, lifetime can be a much better deal.

Price Conscious people don't buy $850 Tivo with Lifetime services.

Price Conscious people don't buy $850 Tivo with Lifetime services.

To each their own. Doesn't matter to me where you spend your money. In a couple years, I'll be saving approx. $50 per month, and can put that money to use elsewhere. Price conscious people look at more than just the up front cost or the monthly bill.

i have had tivos for many years now....

never paid ore than 200 bucks including box and lifetime service.

one is dead right now the hard drive failed.

i did pay a bit over 200 for a lifetime roamio, and 400 for a lifetime roamio with a big hard drive.

i just havent had time to network them.

currently i have lost my hammer drill and bit to run a new OTA cable in the house. perhaps chris borrowed it. when tools rarely get lost they can get lost easily

rose hates and cant watch live tv.. she is fully addictied to tivo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts