Dish HD Channels and 4k liner Channels

Dish Claims they have capacity, as do the Members here.

But Directv has a whole lot more.
They have more 24/7 HD channels, they are also full Res, and they have brand new Directv 14 and 15 just hanging out.

As far as Dish yes they have Quite a Few HD channels
But they would have a lot more IMO I'd they had the capacity that's claimed here.

There are a lot of Premiums still not in HD, Games are Hit or miss in HD.

So I'm not really sure what to believe with dish. There is always unawsered questions on why things don't happen, or why they take so long to happen.

Sure we have the Hopper 3, But I'd rather have some other things done then a New Receiver.
I would like an Improved HD PQ.

But Dish On Demand works Flawlessly, ( And Directv's worked like crap.
And with the post complaints I see here and at DBSTALK, I see Directv's On Demand is still crappy.)
Integrated Netflix, No RSN fees, and half Price on all my premiums, cancels out anything Directv has to offer.

Reactions: bluegras
Nope not at all, There are a number of 4K channels up on satellite now that are on satellites which were made before people know what 4K was... :)

The compression used is much better then it was years ago. HVEC is much better than 4K. :)

Here are some 4K Channels up on Satellite now... there are not 4K satellites.. in fact the oldest is AMC 18 which was launched in 2006.

Nasa 4K - http://www.lyngsat.com/AMC-18.html (2006)
Fashion 4K - http://www.lyngsat.com/SES-3.html (2011)
SES 4K Demo Channel - High TV 4K - http://www.lyngsat.com/SES-6.html (2013)

It just like these companies advertising these HD Antennas and how you can get all these free HD channels in your area... There is no such thing as an HD antenna.. its just a regular antenna like you used in the 50's and 60's (and beyond) its still just picking up radio signals. The difference now is the signals are packaged differently. :)

Dish Claims they have capacity, as do the Members here.
No I would say DIRECTV has more satellite space, but with the recent 8PSK conversion at this point its not an issue for DISH. They have plenty of free space available. And even with that space with the new compression technology if they added all of the 4K channels available they still wouldn't have to worry about running out of space.

No I would say DIRECTV has more satellite space, but with the recent 8PSK conversion at this point its not an issue for DISH. They have plenty of free space available. And even with that space with the new compression technology if they added all of the 4K channels available they still wouldn't have to worry about running out of space.
I still don't think 4K is going to catch on unless it no difference in cost from regular HD, and you know that 4K going to be a premium price.

I'm not paying for it ,That much I know.

Nope not at all, There are a number of 4K channels up on satellite now that are on satellites which were made before people know what 4K was... :)

The compression used is much better then it was years ago. HVEC is much better than 4K. :)

Here are some 4K Channels up on Satellite now... there are not 4K satellites.. in fact the oldest is AMC 18 which was launched in 2006.

Nasa 4K - http://www.lyngsat.com/AMC-18.html (2006)
Fashion 4K - http://www.lyngsat.com/SES-3.html (2011)
SES 4K Demo Channel - High TV 4K - http://www.lyngsat.com/SES-6.html (2013)

It just like these companies advertising these HD Antennas and how you can get all these free HD channels in your area... There is no such thing as an HD antenna.. its just a regular antenna like you used in the 50's and 60's (and beyond) its still just picking up radio signals. The difference now is the signals are packaged differently. :)
scott this is one also that was announced also on SES
@SES_Satellites launches UHD-1 for @VivicastMedia in N.Amerca, adds 8th UltraHD channel to fleet: http://www.satellitetoday.com/regional/2016/01/21/ses-launches-uhd-1-for-vivicast-media-adds-eighth-ultra-hd-channel-to-fleet/… | @Via_Satellite

I still don't think 4K is going to catch on unless it no difference in cost from regular HD, and you know that 4K going to be a premium price.
I dont think you are going to see many 4K Channels. Most channels are barely doing HD and others are doing no HD and have no plans to do so..

Like you I think 4K will offer a premium viewing choice. With Movies, SPorting Events and Nature programs being the big spotlight for 4K.

Reactions: oljim and navychop
So is EchoStar 18 going to help capacity?

That's what they say. I haven't seen the specs myself so I don't know. But think about it how just the satellite DISH and DIRECTV use have improved over the years, add to that improved compression technology (used by both) and look how far we have come. :)

I'm sure it will, But it sucks having dual Arcs IMO.

Have dual arcs dont matter to the home users. They just know they get service. And because of those dual arcs people not can get satellite tv when they couldn't before as they couldn't get DISH or DIRECTV. Having two arcs has made satellite available to more than ever. Thats not a bad thing. :)

Reactions: navychop
Well it certainly does matter , Not to customers, But with a Single arc, every satellite launch benifits your entire customer base.
Echostar 18, does absolutely nothing for Eastern arc.

Well I am debating on moving to Dish as I said before. The Hopper 3 is pretty amazing. I don't care for DirecTV 4k solution. The Hr54 with needing a client (I only want one tv hooked up). I am disappointed by some of the channels I watch are not HD on dish. So how is Dish networks on demand? Also do they have anything going like Directv where you can go back up to 72 hours?

Also thanks Scott for all your help.

Well it certainly does matter , Not to customers, But with a Single arc, every satellite launch benifits your entire customer base.
Echostar 18, does absolutely nothing for Eastern arc.
Who cares. They have it all figured out and having two arcs is paying off for them as if it wasnt they wouldn't have two arcs. :)

So how is Dish networks on demand? Also do they have anything going like Directv where you can go back up to 72 hours?
I got to be honest and never really play with on demand on either platform (I have both DIRECTV and DISH) so perhaps someone can better answer that for you. :)

Who cares. They have it all figured out and having two arcs is paying off for them as if it wasnt they wouldn't have two arcs. :)
The only reason they have 2 Arcs is because people on the east coast couldn't receive the 129 of Echostar 5 when HD was being launched

So the East solution was the 110/119 with 61.5 wing dish from a satellite deal, that we won't get into.

Dish only allows the arc that your locals come from, so that's not really a choice if you have Los issues.
Unless you want to take the controls and hire and Install what you want, which most people wouldn't do.
I'm sure Dish would prefer a single Arc for all its customers.

It works because it has too.

Troch I am starting to wonder if your related to Harshness.

It had nothing to do with HD on 129.

And the locals are on the best satellite for that area, which is why some areas locals are available on both arcs.

Reactions: rvvaquero
Well I am debating on moving to Dish as I said before. The Hopper 3 is pretty amazing. I don't care for DirecTV 4k solution. The Hr54 with needing a client (I only want one tv hooked up). I am disappointed by some of the channels I watch are not HD on dish. So how is Dish networks on demand? Also do they have anything going like Directv where you can go back up to 72 hours?

Also thanks Scott for all your help.
Dish Ondemand has the same selections, But a lot more free stuff, and When you want to watch it , there is no Buffering issues like seems to always happen with Directv. Now you are going to hear the fans say it's fine and the doesn't happen, but that's BS.

I'm not sure what you mean about going back 72 hours?

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts