Dish HD Locals Update

I'd be glad to see Greenville, SC (listed in an earlier list), but just as Greenville, NC's DMA is shared among several locations ours is Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson, SC and Asheville, NC. The ABC station is Sinclair-owned out of Asheville, CBS (owned by Media General) is out of Spartanburg, and both NBC (Hearst) and Fox (Meredith Corp.) are out of Greenville. The old WB station (now "CW") was out of Anderson.

Sinclair has been a thorn in the side of Dish network (and local cable providers), but I'm sure they'd like their HD signal picked up. This is a hard DMA for many people to pick up signals OTA due to the hilly terrain. The CBS affiliate alone has 16 translators for their SD signal listed on their website! I'm lucky. With a rotor I get all the locals here plus can pick up some from Charlotte, NC!

Does anyone know if PBS is generally shown with HD locals in most markets? We get both NC and SC PBS stations here OTA.

CDH.

west palm.. holy freaking poo batman.. it sure as heck took long enough..

I did send out nasty grams to all my locals tell them I will continue watching miami locals till they are offered on dish.. lol..

Vince, I live in W. Palm Beach and I watch ALL the locals in HD with a small roof antenna. So why are you writing nasty letters to the stations? It's up to Dish to turn them on in HD as they already are on. Buy some rabbitt ears and watch them like I do in HD.

Yes, if (that's a big if) they put Cleveland HD locals on 61.5, you'll need a 2nd dish. And yes, Dish will do it for free. If and when that happens, as a current customer, you'll be at the end of the list to get the dish upgrade too.

So i wont be able to be at the beginning of the line if I call as soon as the official announcement is made? :) :)

I would think they are going to put the HD locals on 61.5 (spotbeams, and 129 has conus, I dont see them using the conus space for locals)

I won't believe it till I see it :D, but if they DO add Cleveland locals... lets hope they do put it on 61.5.

Unfortunately (for me)... I would suspect 129, that's where Sportstime Ohio and FSN Ohio are. I've been dealing without both of those since 129 is allegedly unstable. If they DO put it on 61.5, wouldn't they have to move those two onto 61.5 as well??? Or else people in Cleveland would need to point at 4 sats??? I dunno. There are people here that know way more about this stuff then me that hopefully can enlighten us. :hatsoff:

Rob,

You're pointed at 61.5? I am in highland heights....although the signal on 129 is always very low for me, it has never gone out.

Hmmm...weren't they saying in early to mid 2006, and still not there. D* is looking better and better once the hockey season is over.:mad:

Just FYI, D* doesn't have all of our Buffalo locals either. They are missing .... I think it's CBS for one and a couple of the PBS biggies as well. So you'll STILL need an antenna to get locals in HD. I actually looked into it and if I gotta have an antenna anyways... I may as well stay where I am. A promise only half filled is still an unkept promise.

Rob,

You're pointed at 61.5? I am in highland heights....although the signal on 129 is always very low for me, it has never gone out.

I've never had 129. Not sure why, but when I was installed, they said they would give me two dishes and put me on 61.5 instead of 129. The installer said that it would give me a better signal and I wouldn't miss out on anything. Oh well.. hopefully we'll here something soon about a sat location and date.

Yeah the spot beam map on 61.5 does not look good for Buffalo.

Here is a map of the 61.5 spot beams. Note how the announce markets seem to fit under them. A good clue that 61.5 will be the source.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/rldbs1.gif

I guess that map explains why Memphis, the largest market in Tennessee is missing. Seems strange to hit Nashville, Knoxville, and Jackson,Ms and omit 1m+ in western Tennessee.:mad:

I guess that map explains why Memphis, the largest market in Tennessee is missing. Seems strange to hit Nashville, Knoxville, and Jackson,Ms and omit 1m+ in western Tennessee.
The circles are rough indicators of where the beam hits. Basically, if you're inside the circle, you're guaranteed to be "hit" by it. Needless to say, you can be many miles outside of the circle and still get a perfect signal from that spot-beam.

Unfortunately (for me)... I would suspect 129, that's where Sportstime Ohio and FSN Ohio are. I've been dealing without both of those since 129 is allegedly unstable.
And you haven't tried it to see if the allegations are true ? Don't believe everything you read....
but when I was installed, they said they would give me two dishes and put me on 61.5 instead of 129. The installer said that it would give me a better signal and I wouldn't miss out on anything.
Heh, don't believe everything you're told either.... Did you ask the installer how you are to get Sportstime Ohio and FSN Ohio without a 129' dish ?

Just FYI, D* doesn't have all of our Buffalo locals either. They are missing .... I think it's CBS for one and a couple of the PBS biggies as well. So you'll STILL need an antenna to get locals in HD. I actually looked into it and if I gotta have an antenna anyways... I may as well stay where I am. A promise only half filled is still an unkept promise.

I've been okay because i've moved to NYC... but once NYC goes spotbeam i'll be without NBC in HD. I wont be happy. I bet you Buffalo will be last because it is not even in a beam.

well, if they put the Cleveland locals on 61.5, I guess I'm SOL if I want to "move" cuz I don't live there.

Last edited:
And you haven't tried it to see if the allegations are true ? Don't believe everything you read....
Heh, don't believe everything you're told either.... Did you ask the installer how you are to get Sportstime Ohio and FSN Ohio without a 129' dish ?

This was an install in June of '06... I get those two in SD. It wasn't until September that they went HD on 129. I guess it's still a crapshoot for *if* we get them, when and where they will be broadcasting from. I'll just hold tight, i guess. :confused:

It better be, if the little town (72k pop) Greenville, NC got it's very own locals in HD (they are already in the Raliegh DMA) after all the promises about Greenville, SC HD for the last 2 years, somebody would go postal on Dish :)
Actually this DMA covers most of Eastern NC with a population of much more than 72K. Spotbeam 5 is a direct hit on this area. The Fox station in the area is very weak and this would make a lot of viewers very happy. Just saw a post on the AVS forum relating to this and the station engineer from New Bern did not deny it. Greenville, SC is on the fringe of Spotbeam 8. Also, the Greenville-New Bern-Washington, NC area is on the map for 2008 by end of 2nd quarter. I know the local stations are cooperating fully with dish and direct, so it could be NC. Anyway, I sure hope both Greenvilles get hd soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)