Dish HD Locals Update

Harrisburg, PA

Still no love to the Harrisburg, PA DMA. It's in the top 50 DMA's in the nation, Please!!

Here is some Dish HD news that was just sent out to retailers. (It is not the HD news we are talking about in the pub members forum... btw they just lit up a 4th channel in testing) ;)

So here we go!

• DISH Network plans to launch HD locals in the following 6 markets in Q1 2008:

Cleveland, Ohio; Flint, Michigan; Ft. Myers, Florida; Greenville, North Carolina; Orlando, Florida; West Palm Beach, Florida

WOOT! WOOT!

If they put all these markets on 61.5 I wonder if they are going to be shelling out for the DPP44 switches if the RSNs are still on 129 for a lot of these markets. It is probably better to give out DPP44 switches than to have to dedicate TP space to duplicate 129's RSNs on 61.5.

Beaumont, TX. Locals in HD. WOW!!!
This is truly incredible, because only 3 short months ago we only had one network even broadcasting in HD. It was CBS.
As of now we have CBS, ABC, and FOX.
Still no NBC in HD.
How in the world did we ever get so high on the list.
Not that I'm complaining mind you. Just surprised.

It must be all the emails I've sent over the last 11 years to DISH finally coming to fruition. ;)

The Ada Ok-Sherman Tx DMA is a whole lot bigger than ADA itself. This area is a bedroom area for the DFW Metroplex. Lots of people live up here and drive to DFW daily.

True it is DMA # 161 @ 125,000 households, but that is far from 16,000 people, probably more like 375,000 people.

Probably on the same spot as Wichita Falls TX.

Not since I talked to KIP last month. He said that final licensing for the Fox Digital signal was pending and that the TSID in their psip data that they were transmitting was wrong. Once the final licensing is done the tsid data will be changed and we will be able to map the guide information to the digital channel . THis was supposed to be any day now. I will contact Kip again and ask him soon.

That is great for all of you that will be effected. Just hope they get all the main channels up. In Albuquerque there is still no CBS in HD. But I understand that D and comcast can't get it either. Some stations will be stubborn

Why doesn't Dish Network try to go after the markets that DirecTv does not cover? Wouldn't they have more customers to get going that route?

I hope Greenville, NC does get HD locals! Everything here sucks and that would be sweet. OTA rocks, but this would be a great addition. Then Dish can put it to Suddenstink!

Smoky,

The Press Release from Dish @ CES did say Greenville, SC. I think the info retailers received was just a typo.

Thanks, I've been waiting a long time to see the locals in HD. I even put up a big peice of metal with amp that rotates on my roof hoping to maybe get some Knoxville HD channels OTA. I got nothing except a snowy PBS from NC, which was SD. Trying for HD has cost me a few dollars. Maybe my quest is over, but I'll believe it when I see it. I've been doing this HD dance with Dish for years as others here at Satelliteguys.

Come on, Dish! Give us the Harrisburg, PA market in HD!!!

They need Scranton, too. And they need to do a better job of it than D* did -- announcing only 3 channels and then adding only 2!

I hope Greenville, NC does get HD locals! Everything here sucks and that would be sweet. OTA rocks, but this would be a great addition. Then Dish can put it to Suddenstink!
Verified tonight by WITN that it is Greenville, NC DMA that will get HD Locals. Verified during the 5:00 news hour. WITN is the NBC affiliate in this DMA

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is if there are multiple markets under the same spot beam and the biggest market has stations playing hardball, Dish will a lot of times take the smaller market. It is a balance of capacity, spot location and station negotiation.

The market size is only one factor of many involved in adding HD locals. Time and time people complain "my city is number so-and-so and isn't available, so why is a smaller city?". Using that logic, if Dish couldn't have negotiated terms with New York City, they should have stopped right there..... Well, not stop, but keep negotiating until they made a deal. Then move on to LA and so on.

The "market" area is quite often very, very different than the city it's named after too. The Dayton market goes north 30-40 miles of Dayton.

The market size is only one factor of many involved in adding HD locals. Time and time people complain "my city is number so-and-so and isn't available, so why is a smaller city?". Using that logic, if Dish couldn't have negotiated terms with New York City, they should have stopped right there..... Well, not stop, but keep negotiating until they made a deal. Then move on to LA and so on.

The "market" area is quite often very, very different than the city it's named after too. The Dayton market goes north 30-40 miles of Dayton.
Not only that, but you hear people say, "why is Dish ignoring 1 million people in my DMA?" It's probably more like 5-10% of that number of people (who actually have or would think about getting Dish).

Not only that, but you hear people say, "why is Dish ignoring 1 million people in my DMA?" It's probably more like 5-10% of that number of people (who actually have or would think about getting Dish).

That is true too, many smaller markets cover large rural areas where cable is not available, so the actual number of satellite subscribers can be much higher in a smaller market. Looking at my market it appears more than half the households are outside the 2 big citys. Satellite sales are booming here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts