Dish HD Locals Update

With the new birds going up "soon" does anyone know if New Orleans will be getting its HD locals before the 2008 football season starts? "D" already has the New Orleans HD locals, and if "E" does put thm up by the start of the season that wil; push me to switch to "D". I refuse to watch the big college games that are carried by CBS and ABC in SD again this year, as well as the Sunday NFL games on CBS and Fox. I have been an "E" customer for over 6 years, but I need them to give me my HD locals so I can enjoy the 2008 Football season in HD.

With the new birds going up "soon" does anyone know if New Orleans will be getting its HD locals before the 2008 football season starts? "D" already has the New Orleans HD locals, and if "E" does put thm up by the start of the season that wil; push me to switch to "D". I refuse to watch the big college games that are carried by CBS and ABC in SD again this year, as well as the Sunday NFL games on CBS and Fox. I have been an "E" customer for over 6 years, but I need them to give me my HD locals so I can enjoy the 2008 Football season in HD.

No OTA options?

Digi, I live in Abita Springs in a Condo and I can't put up an outdoor antenna, and I haven't had any luck with an indoor antenna. If you can recomend one I would appreciate it. Also since you are recomending OTA can I assume that you don't think "E" will have HD locals for New Orleans by Septenber 1st?

Thanks for your help, I noticed you are a fellow Louisianian

Digi, I live in Abita Springs in a Condo and I can't put up an outdoor antenna, and I haven't had any luck with an indoor antenna. If you can recomend one I would appreciate it. Also since you are recomending OTA can I assume that you don't think "E" will have HD locals for New Orleans by Septenber 1st?

Thanks for your help, I noticed you are a fellow Louisianian

bayoufats,

Everything you need to know is contained in this thread:

New Orleans, LA - HDTV - Page 140 - AVS Forum

Its dedicated to New Orleans HD locals....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:river
I was hoping there was some reason I couldn't get the faint signals from my antenna for the two channels I could get in the Greenville SC area. (Two different antennas no signal of any kind the last three weeks.) I like rebooted 100 times, switched cables, etc., no dice. I was hoping against hope they were programming my HD locals or something.

After seeing that the Greenvile NC mention wasn't a typo, I gave up on the Greenville SC locals happening anytime soon, if ever. And where I live a 500 foot tower wouldn't even get me OTA.

So I, tweaked my 1000+ Dish yesterday to maximize 118.7, made the call today and relocated 3 miles up the road to a VERY remote address.

DANG, those Charlotte HD locals look GOOD :)

Now, I just have to redo about 20 timers and I am set.

i just refuse to believe that they would grant HD Local Access to Greenville, NC before they would Greenville, SC. Greenville, SC has a much larger subscription base. Even larger than the Columbia, SC that is scheduled for Q2. They have a CW network that could also do HD programming. They also have been claiming to add HD locals for Greenville, Sc since 2006 and had the report early this year that it would be part of the first 11 markets. So there has to be a mistake. I am just getting frustrated with this. I live in a area where i have an antenna that just barely pulls in CBS and thats if there is no wind. I have to climb straight up hill if it gets out of position and usually hurt myself somehow doing it each time. So much great HD programming available around here with 1 news channel already in HD and another planning to do so if they already havent. I signed up in November for another 18 months and felt somewhat relieved when i saw that report in January about its imminent adding but now they are telling me some small DMA in NC is about to go live before we are. Youve got to be kidding me. Heck if you say Greenville around here they think of SC way before they say NC. All this with Dishs continuing lack of New HD content and lack of Sports action is just making me say what the heck is the point of staying. I could have 10 more national networks along with locals that have been on Since MARCH 2007 with DirectTV. But We have the almight repeating VOOM. If they dont have Greenville, SC by the end of the year im forking over the money and switching. There is no point. If this keeps up Dish will be gone in 5 years.

I have been refusing to "believe it" as in no HD locals in Greenville, SC since 2006, then even more when as you said Direct has had them 1st Q last year. It is even more insulting if the "flatlanders" down in Greenville NC who can get all their OTA HD locals with a metal twist tie from a loaf of bread gets them first.. but that seems to be reality. Or at a minimum another one of the "BS promises" from Dish.

IF I were to guess, the problem lies more with the combination of the 2 similar pain in the butt "negotators" like Charile and Sinclair Broadcasting (owner of WLOS - ABC) working out a deal with each other.

If only I could learn how to use the goofy Direct remote with my eyes closed. :-(
Not having SCI-FI HD is bad enough..... but IF Dish doesn't have SPEED HD pretty soon, F1 in HD will be enough to prompt me to learn. Even after 8+ years as an "Everything and then some" Dish customer.

It sucks to have 4 HDTVs in a home without all the HD programming I should be able to have, or at least what I want to watch.

I have been refusing to "believe it" as in no HD locals in Greenville, SC since 2006, then even more when as you said Direct has had them 1st Q last year. It is even more insulting if the "flatlanders" down in Greenville NC who can get all their OTA HD locals with a metal twist tie from a loaf of bread gets them first.. but that seems to be reality. Or at a minimum another one of the "BS promises" from Dish.

IF I were to guess, the problem lies more with the combination of the 2 similar pain in the butt "negotators" like Charile and Sinclair Broadcasting (owner of WLOS - ABC) working out a deal with each other.

If only I could learn how to use the goofy Direct remote with my eyes closed. :-(
Not having SCI-FI HD is bad enough..... but IF Dish doesn't have SPEED HD pretty soon, F1 in HD will be enough to prompt me to learn. Even after 8+ years as an "Everything and then some" Dish customer.

It sucks to have 4 HDTVs in a home without all the HD programming I should be able to have, or at least what I want to watch.
I feel for you 928 because I know how frustrating it can be. The reception in the Greenville, NC DMA is not as easy as you say it is. Well, maybe if you live near one of the cities in the dma. Greenville, New Bern, Washington and Morehead City, the primary players in this dma are miles apart and their towers except for Greenville and Washington are miles apart in different directions. I think that you stated part of the problem when you mentioned Sinclair. Some broadcasters just do not welcome direct or dish, an example being the Norfolk, VA dma which is not on direct or dish's future list mainly because of the station owners. At least that is what we hear. So when the HD LIL is turned on in Eastern NC, it will benefit a lot of people. Also, if you look at the spotbeam map, you will see it will be difficult to serve your area with spotbeam 8 which is the closest to it. Anyway, best of luck, I hope it will happen for you soon. And one more note, our tv stations are cooperating fully with dish and that is one reason we got moved up.

If you look at the dish "coming soon" 100 hd locals map, one of those dots is supposed to be new orleans.That probably wont be until 3rd quarter 2008, maybe later. If you arent worried about it til the football starts, you might be alright. My friend in slidell has a small outdoor antenna that picks up all of the ota no problem. i will try to find out the model #, but you could probably hook it to your dish. Is the dish for you only or is it for a few condos? i am in hammond and when i swing my cm4228 that way, i pick up all of the no ota no problem.( if you could put a cm4228 up someway you would be set.)

My dish is just for my Condo unit. I was wondering if one of those antennas that clip onto the dish would pull in the New Orleans locals, because I could probably do that wilthout any problem from the Condo nazis.

My dish is just for my Condo unit. I was wondering if one of those antennas that clip onto the dish would pull in the New Orleans locals, because I could probably do that wilthout any problem from the Condo nazis.

His looks like this one, but without the amplifier.
Terk - Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna - HDTVO
He removed it from the post that comes with it and mounted it on his satellite mount post.

This one would probably be better though
Antennas Direct - Multidirectional Outdoor HDTV Antenna - DB4
Same thing, remove it from the post and put on your post, or attach the antenna post to your satellite post.The condo board shouldnt say anything if most of the antenna is hidden by the satellite dish.

Last bet, i had a cm4228 on the floor of my living room, aimed out of a window, sitting on a chair.Worked pretty good for baton rouge stations here in hammond. Wife wasnt happy, but knew it was only temporary til we got settled in and i had time to put it outside.
Good luck, let us know what happens.

What is going to happen to SD locals after the Feb 2009 cut-off date? For example, Tulsa OK does not have HD locals and it is not scheduled to have them anytime soon. What happens after Feb of next year? Will I get any locals off Dish at that time?

I do believe that the FCC who has a rule that allows you to have a dish on your condo also has a rule that allows you to have a over the air antenna
along with your dish. I am at work now and I don't have the link to the FCC website which has these rules but if I can get the time at home I will update this post with the link.
Ok I found it FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

What is going to happen to SD locals after the Feb 2009 cut-off date? For example, Tulsa OK does not have HD locals and it is not scheduled to have them anytime soon. What happens after Feb of next year? Will I get any locals off Dish at that time?
Dish should be working on converting their equipment to receive the Digital Locals (even though they may not provide HD, they can still broadcast the digital feed rather than the analog feed).

The important thing to remember about the change in Feb. 2009 is that it is NOT changing from Standard Definition to High Definition. The Digital Television Transition is forcing Broadcasters to change from an analog signal to a digital signal. (It has nothing to do with High Def. Broadcasting. That is still being left up to individual broadcasters).

Geoff

Dish does the same for the local NBC station in Dayton. They take the -2 sub-channel, which is a simulcast of the -1, except it's SD. It's kinda screwy... Seems as though the picture is often widescreen and then cropped to 4:3 so there's bars on the top, bottom, right, and left, making for a rather small picture. Lucky for us we watch the regular digital channel, not the sub-channel.

Get Harrisburg, Pa UP!!

I can not believe that Harrisburg is not in the list. My OTA is not working weel for two of the stations here.

I am only giving Dish until mid summer then I have to look elsewhere. If they add two more sats and don't have Hbg in HD they just don't care enough about us.

I really hate to go back to cable though, I hope it doesn't come to that.

STOHD and FSNHD H#LL

I won't believe it till I see it :D, but if they DO add Cleveland locals... lets hope they do put it on 61.5.

Unfortunately (for me)... I would suspect 129, that's where Sportstime Ohio and FSN Ohio are. I've been dealing without both of those since 129 is allegedly unstable. If they DO put it on 61.5, wouldn't they have to move those two onto 61.5 as well??? Or else people in Cleveland would need to point at 4 sats??? I dunno. There are people here that know way more about this stuff then me that hopefully can enlighten us. :hatsoff:

I upgraded from an earlier Dish HD package to their current one about a month ago. I originally had two dishes pointing at 61.5 and 119.

After no less than 8 calls to tech support:mad:, about not receiving STOHD and FSN(Ohio)HD. I finally got the answer. Those channels are not and will not be available on 61.5, but rather 129 only. Their (my) problem was that after the install, they left my second dish pointed at 61.5.

After a "re-"install two days ago with a dish 1000.2. I now happily have both channels in HD:). I have no stability problem with 129 so far. I just hope that the HD locals will be available on sat 129 (sorry ClevelandRob) since they removed the original 61.5 dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)