dish hd receiver with optoma hd 70 projector

Bulbman2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
My question is set up- on the dish receiver In the hd section there is a choice for 1080i or 720 p

when diplayed in native setting on the optoma hd70 the picture size is about 110" when set to the 1080i setting. I prefer this setting.

when set to 720p on the receiver the native setting on the projector the picture is 97"

Is there truly a big diffence in picture quality on the 1080i vs 720p or is it strickly a picture size change????

also when set on the16x9 on the projector I get a 162" picture---- reallly too big except for movies

thanks

John

Your PJ is 720p native, regardless of whether you have your receiver set to 720 or 1080, you will only see 720. The HD70 is also 16 X 9 native, SD content will appear as a square inside the area projected by the HD70.

NOW: The problem you are experiencing is that you do not have your PJ and screen setup correctly and you are using zoom and stretch to try to make your SD channels appear as 16 X 9 channels.

Decide what size you want your picture to be.
Go to ProjectorCentral.com and use the throw calculator to see where you need to put the projector to get that size screen projected.
Set your receiver to 720p and 16 X 9.
Set your PJ to NATIVE.
Adjust the zoom and focus on the PJ to fit in the screen size you want.

Don't be surprised when commercials and SD TV don't expand to fill the screen, that's the problem with SD content on a 16 X 9 PJ.

Feel free to respond or PM me - I have used a 942/622 and an HD70 for 6 months now.

thank you for the response

optoma hd70
mounted at 108"
20feet from lense to wall
162" screen with 720 and native----------tooo big
54x96 screen with dish hd receiver set 1080i----I believe dish hd is 1080i

I would like to make a screen- wilson art designer white to fit the 54x96 size.

when I use the yamaha dvd and set it to 1/2 then the size is about 48x91

the projector fits very nicely above my stairs at 20 feet mounted on a wall.

I realized that I have pushed the brightness level of this projector to the limits. but I like the size of the picture and really do not want to move the projector.

Have you tried the 1080i setting on the dish receiver? to see what I am talking about?

call me if you like John-269-665-7801

I realize that you are happy with your PJ placement but you are about three feet past the maximum recommended throw distance for the HD70. You are going to have to move the PJ. You will get better results and be happier with it that way.

ABC, FOX, and ESPN all broadcast at 720p and your PJ will only show 720p regardless of you setting the receiver to 1080i. The projector just rescales to 720p. Some people seem to like the rescaled picture better, mostly sports. If you set your receiver for 1080i and you show the 720p channels, you are rescaling the picture up and then back down again. Not really a great idea, IMO.

The differences in your picture sizes all come from sending a 4:3 picture to the PJ from your receiver and then using the apsect ratio and zoom functions on the PJ to compensate. You are not really getting an accurate or proper picture that way.

thank you for the response

optoma hd70
mounted at 108"
20feet from lense to wall
162" screen with 720 and native----------tooo big
54x96 screen with dish hd receiver set 1080i----I believe dish hd is 1080i

when I use the yamaha dvd and set it to 1/2 then the size is about 48x91

the projector fits very nicely above my stairs at 20 feet mounted on a wall.

I realized that I have pushed the brightness level of this projector to the limits. but I like the size of the picture and really do not want to move the projector.

Have you tried the 1080i setting on the dish receiver? to see what I am talking about?

call me if you like John-269-665-7801

I'm running my Mistubitsi HD1000U from both E* and D* HD receivers at 1080i with good results... (moving to Tv and Pj forum where you should get more responses)

Yes, it will work, but there is no need to set it to 1080i but not a big deal if you do.

Mount your PJ at 13 feet from the screen to create your 110" screen on the 54" x 96" piece of WilsonArt you are using.

Set your receiver to 16 x 9 and 720p or 1080i
Set your PJ aspect ration to native for 720p or 16x9 for 1080i
Adjust your zoom and focus to ensure the picture takes up the whole screen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)